Can anyone tell me

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Can anyone tell me
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 08:14 am:

A beautiful 1914 Model T touring, Why would they do that????

Model T has been well preserved and is fitted with a modern V6 power plant and rear disk brakes. It actually does start (without a crank) and has the ability to run and drive smoothly all day as you trek cross country in search of a bygone era.

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/ford/model_t/1683999.html

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 08:37 am:

"...this T has history spanning back to the opening of The Verazanno Bridge in New York City." That would be 1964. Huh?

27 grand is way too much to spend on a car that would cost several thousand more to fix.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 08:39 am:

If I was searching for a bygone era, it sure would not be in a modern V-6 powered T.

This is similar in a way to the VW diesel powered TT posted a few days ago. Again, is it nicely done? I think it has it's merits for that. But, it is far to original in every other aspect to do something like that to it. And as I mentioned in the other thread, the "upgrade" far exceeds the rest of the original systems still in place--which could be dangerous to someone not in the know of how original T's operate, and their limitations.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 08:47 am:

That car is a little scary if you ask me. That V-6 drive train will get it going much faster than I'd care to go on wood spokes and with no front brakes.

Of course the ad does say,"The original matching drivetrain is included with the sale."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 08:58 am:

I just can not think of one good reason to change a beautiful T and do this to it.

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 09:01 am:

Been on the board for a long time, and we can see why! What a travesty.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 10:06 am:

We will no doubt see more of this. People get caught up with the beauty these cars have and want to drive them in ways you can't drive an original. They have upgraded many of the Yellowstone and Glacier Touring Buses for commercial use. Fortunately for those, they have re-engineered them safely for liability reasons. Some of the half-baked conversions will surely give all old cars a bad name as accidents happen.

My take is to try to show folks how much fun they can have with an original.

Time will tell.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 10:18 am:

They need to put on the hood and turn off the engine so that no one will notice the abomination. Let's hope they didn't modify anything to the point that it could not be made back into a Model T.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 10:25 am:

That's why they are "searching for a bygone era". They haven't found it and never will.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren Henderson, Dunbarton, NH on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 10:50 am:

If I had the money and because they do say "The original matching drivetrain is included with the sale." I would want to buy this Model T and restore it to it's original glory!

Happy motoring,

Warren

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 10:55 am:

If you read the description it says it was a "movie car". Which to me explains a lot. I wonder what the engine is?
Personally I would buy the diesel TT before I bought this. Of course I have a nice '13 RHD, but I don't have a TT. Then I would put front brakes and good steering on the TT and drive it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Money - Braidwood, IL on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 09:17 pm:

Lets see, it has a water pump, oil pump, alternator, electronic ignition, rear disc brakes, 12 volt, so other than 2 extra cylinders, how different is it really than what some of the folks here drive?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Hoffman - Mokelumne Hill, Calif. on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 09:24 pm:

Engine looks to be a GM V-6, open drive rear end is attached to original spring, looks like it would be simple to convert back to stock. Worse case scenario is just picking up another frame. I don't see any great travesty here.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 09:41 pm:

Guaranteed winner at any hill climb! The reason people butcher cars like this is for movies just like the Russell Crowe movie this car was in. Actors these days are not smart enough to operate any machine without an automatic transmission, let alone a engine you have to crank to get started, but a V6; that's over kill. A Pinto engine or an early Chevy two 4 cyl would have been plenty

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 10:54 pm:

Once you have a few of what some would call safety improvements why stop?? Rather than drive a model T at safe model T speeds why not go whole hog and maybe make the cover of pimp my ride?? Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Mavins Winnipeg,Canada on Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 12:17 am:

It was in a movie the first thing is the actors have to drive it and be safe. chitty chitty bang bang is a good chase. Its not even a car they made it to look old any could drive it. It has a ford engine metal spokes its a studio whats it. I would say the studio modified it for the movie.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 07:42 am:

Doug, you are right on the Money. Yeah, pun intended. Where are all the usual "Leave him alone. It's his car. He can do as he pleases" people? I say again, some people just want to be seen driving some cool looking sheet metal and care nothing about the Model T experience.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 01:20 am:

Because all that would say that said it the first go round when this car was posted some time back. That's why, so why repeat our self's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 04:19 pm:

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang is a poor example to use in this case, as it was specifically built for a specific purpose.

This poor Model T was bastardized for no apparent reason. It's not hard to teach actors to drive Model T's. I was in a Hallmark Channel Movie and Veronica Hammel was taught to drive a 1916 Model T. The actors are not necessarily called upon to drive the car more than a few feet or blocks at a time, maybe a lonely dirt road in the country.

We also do not know that the car was retrofitted for the movie Winter's Tale. I suspect that it was not, as that would be a significant cash outlay for a one use car.

All of the above except about the movie I was in, is of course, my opinion.

The movie Winter's Tale bombed at the Box Office. That, is a fact. lol

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration