Repost Mojave Ca. pic.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Repost Mojave Ca. pic.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Lay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Lancaster Ca. on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 11:42 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip Berg on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 11:56 am:

Would that be state highway 14 in today's world?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Lay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Lancaster Ca. on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 12:01 pm:

Yep. Old Sierra Hwy. I think.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 12:16 pm:

Get a load of that Model T Touring under the "Cafe" sign..... It looks like he was in such a hurry to get in for breakfast that he left his door open!

This is sure a lot different that today when we lock our car with the clicker every time we park somewhere.... :-(

Times have surely changed.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 01:00 pm:

Keith, when you have a car like that which will last 100 years, you want to save wear and tear on the hinges and latches.

Rich

#!0)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 02:08 pm:

Hi Rich - Ya, I hear you.. :-)

It could have been that he was in a big hurry to get to the outhouse too... :-)

Anyway, this picture is a nice example of the mid - '20's.

Scott - Thank you for posting it.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Brancaccio - Calgary Alberta on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 02:27 pm:

Nothing really shiny in that picture, is there?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 04:06 pm:

Great picture!
Thank you for posting it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 04:09 pm:

Is that a megaphone on the roof, and what might its purpose have been ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Brancato on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 04:43 pm:

I have driven through (and eaten) in Mojave many, many times and I'm straining my eyes to see anything familiar that's survived. The cars, though. They're still there... parked just like that too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Brancato on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 04:48 pm:

I have driven through (and eaten) in Mojave many, many times and I'm straining my eyes to see anything familiar that's survived. The cars, though. They're still there... parked just like that too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 05:17 pm:

Always thought locking the door on a convertible was a waste of time. Still did it. Just to keep the honest ones out. Or the ones that forgot their switch blade.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 05:29 pm:

I have owned several Mopar convertibles over the years and never locked them. At least then, the thieves had no reason other than spite to cut the top.

They were all show cars, not daily drivers, and I never had anything stolen out of them. Just lucky, I guess.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 05:34 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Lyon, PDX, OR. on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 09:31 pm:

Burger, the megaphone is either for the volunteer fire dept. or to announce 12 noon. I had a nearby church siren go off at noon up until about 15 yrs ago, Don.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 09:44 pm:

Keith, last week I watched an elderly gentleman pull up to a spot in front of his Chiropractor. He has a new Chrysler car so he carefully rolled up all the windows (electric...woo hoo). Next he got out and walked a few steps, then using his key fob he locked the doors (yes the car burped) and went in to his appointment.

It was a warm day so he was in really spiffy Bermuda shorts and white socks with what looked like a vintage Ban-Lon polo shirt. I sure hope he didn't burn his bum when he got back because the seats were right in the sun with that top down and stowed!

I always leave Rusty with the top down ('27 P/up) and the keys in the ignition... unless we are having liquid sunshine. Then I put the top up so that the key won't rust into the ignition lock.

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 11:26 pm:

Terry - Ya, I hear you.....that guy put his windows up and locked the car with his clicker....all the while with his convertible top down and stowed!!! And they let these guys vote too.....? :-)

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 12:24 am:

I thought the same thing about the megaphone, but it is my understanding
that practice of daily noontime tests of the air raid siren was a WW2 practice
that continued in many places into the 60's and lingered in scattered locations
even longer.

Were there other reasons such a megaphone would be deployed in the 1920's ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 08:41 am:

I keep looking at the big visor on the first car at the right. Studebaker did that. Maybe others.
It is a great photo of that time.
Rich

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration