OT- Only if you are old and a Cheapskate, look here...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT- Only if you are old and a Cheapskate, look here...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 12:14 pm:

Since most Model T guys are old and cheap, I thought I would share this list of Senior Discounts as a public service.

It was written by a man named Steve Herman. I thought it was interesting and something to keep in mind while deciding where to spend my money.

https://onmogul.com/advice_to_my_younger_selves/this-list-of-senior-discounts-fo r-people-over-50-might-be-the-best-thing-you-learn-all-day

: ^ )

-Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Cascisa - Poulsbo, Washington on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 01:30 pm:

Thanks for the post Keith.

Be_Zero_Be @ 66

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 02:12 pm:

Where's Steve? LOL...:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 02:13 pm:

Well, that's saved in "my Favorites!!"
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 03:02 pm:

No doubt Steve is here: Waldorf Astoria - NYC $5,000 off nightly rate for Presidential Suite.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gilbert V. I. Fitzhugh on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 04:50 pm:

And if you're over 70 and still ski, a lot of the smaller eastern areas give free passes. My wife and I got free season passes at Blue Mountain, PA just by showing our drivers' licenses. Camelback and Shawnee (PA) and Mountain Creek (NJ) are free. Lots of others, probably, but those are the ones we used this winter. But forget the big destination areas if you want to ski free; some give discounts, but most hit you for the full fare.

Too bloody cold to drive there in the Model T!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wes Nelson ........Bucyrus, MO on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 06:13 pm:

I copied this from the above link for all of us...

As I was waiting in line behind an older gentleman at Wendy's recently,I heard him ask for his senior discount. The girl at the register apologized and
charged him less. When I asked the man what the discount was, he told me that
seniors over age 55 ...get 10% off everything on the menu, every day. (But you need to ASK for your discount.)

Being of 'that' age myself, I figured I might as well ask for the discount too.
this incident prompted me to do some research, and I came across a list of restaurants, supermarkets, department stores, travel deals and other types of offers giving various discounts with different age requirements. I was actually surprised to see how many there are and howsome of them start at the young age of 50 .
This list may not only be useful for you, but for your friends and family too.

Dunkin Donuts gives free coffee to people over 55 .
If you're paying for a cup every day, you might want to start getting it for FREE.

YOU must ASK for your discount !

RESTAURANTS:
Applebee's: 15% off with Golden Apple Card (60+)
Arby's: 10% off ( 55 +)
Ben & Jerry's: 10% off (60+)
Bennigan's: discount varies by location (60+)
Bob's Big Boy: discount varies by location (60+)
Boston Market: 10% off (65+)
Burger King: 10% off (60+)
Chick-Fil-A: 10% off or free small drink or coffee ( 55+)
Chili's: 10% off ( 55+)
CiCi's Pizza: 10% off (60+)
Denny's: 10% off, 20% off for AARP members ( 55 +)
Dunkin' Donuts: 10% off or free coffee ( 55+)
Einstein's Bagels: 10% off baker's dozen of bagels (60+)
Fuddrucker's: 10% off any senior platter ( 55+)
Gatti's Pizza: 10% off (60+)
Golden Corral: 10% off (60+)
Hardee's: $0.33 beverages everyday (65+)
IHOP: 10% off ( 55+)
Jack in the Box: up to 20% off ( 55+)
KFC: free small drink with any meal ( 55+)
Krispy Kreme: 10% off ( 50+)
Long John Silver's: various discounts at locations ( 55+)
McDonald's: discounts on coffee everyday ( 55+)
Mrs. Fields: 10% off at participating locations (60+)
Shoney's: 10% off
Sonic: 10% off or free beverage (60+)
Steak 'n Shake: 10% off every Monday & Tuesday ( 50+)
Subway: 10% off (60+)
Sweet Tomatoes: 10% off (62+)
Taco Bell : 5% off; free beverages for seniors (65+)
TCBY: 10% off ( 55+)
Tea Room Cafe: 10% off ( 50+)
Village Inn: 10% off (60+)
Waffle House: 10% off every Monday (60+)
Wendy's: 10% off ( 55 +)
Whataburger: 10% off (62+)
White Castle: 10% off (62+) This is for me ... if I ever see one again.

RETAIL & APPAREL :
Banana Republic: 30% off ( 50 +)
Bealls: 20% off first Tuesday of each month ( 50 +)
Belk's: 15% off first Tuesday of every month ( 55 +)
Big Lots: 30% off
Bon-Ton Department Stores: 15% off on senior discount days ( 55 +)
C.J. Banks: 10% off every Wednesday (50+)
Clarks : 10% off (62+)
Dress Barn: 20% off ( 55+)
Goodwill: 10% off one day a week (date varies by location)
Hallmark: 10% off one day a week (date varies by location)
Kmart: 40% off (Wednesdays only) ( 50+)
Kohl's: 15% off (60+)Modell's Sporting Goods: 30% off
Rite Aid: 10% off on Tuesdays & 10% off prescriptions
Ross Stores: 10% off every Tuesday ( 55+)
The Salvation Army Thrift Stores: up to 50% off ( 55+)
Stein Mart: 20% off red dot/clearance items first Monday of every month ( 55 +)

GROCERY :
Albertson's: 10% off first Wednesday of each month ( 55 +)
American Discount Stores: 10% off every Monday ( 50 +)
Compare Foods Supermarket: 10% off every Wednesday (60+)
DeCicco Family Markets: 5% off every Wednesday (60+)
Food Lion: 60% off every Monday (60+)
Fry's Supermarket: free Fry's VIP Club Membership & 10% off every Monday ( 55 +)
Great Valu Food Store: 5% off every Tuesday (60+)
Gristedes Supermarket: 10% off every Tuesday (60+)
Harris Teeter: 5% off every Tuesday (60+)
Hy-Vee: 5% off one day a week (date varies by location)
Kroger: 10% off (date varies by location)
Morton Williams Supermarket: 5% off every Tuesday (60+)
The Plant Shed: 10% off every Tuesday ( 50 +)
Publix: 15% off every Wednesday ( 55 +)
Rogers Marketplace: 5% off every Thursday (60+)
Uncle Guiseppe's Marketplace: 15% off (62+)

TRAVEL :
Airlines:
Alaska Airlines: 50% off (65+)
American Airlines: various discounts for 50% off non-peak periods (Tuesdays - Thursdays) (62+)and up (call before booking for discount)
Continental Airlines: no initiation fee for Continental Presidents Club & special fares for select destinations
Southwest Airlines: various discounts for ages 65 and up (call before booking for discount)
United Airlines: various discounts for ages 65 and up (call before booking for discount)
U.S. Airways: various discounts for ages 65 and up (call before booking for discount)
Rail:
Amtrak: 15% off (62+)
Bus:
Greyhound: 15% off (62+)
Trailways Transportation System: various discounts for ages 50+

Car Rental:
Alamo Car Rental: up to 25% off for AARP members
Avis: up to 25% off for AARP members
Budget Rental Cars: 40% off; up to 50% off for AARP members ( 50+)
Dollar Rent-A-Car: 10% off ( 50+) Enterprise Rent-A-Car: 5% off for AARP members Hertz: up to 25% off for AARP members
National Rent-A-Car: up to 30% off for AARP members

Overnight Accommodations:
Holiday Inn: 20-40% off depending on location (62+)
Best Western: 40% off (55+)
Cambria Suites: 20%-30% off (60+)
Waldorf Astoria - NYC $5,000 off nightly rate for Presidential Suite (55 +)
Clarion Motels: 20%-30% off (60+)
Comfort Inn: 20%-30% off (60+)
Comfort Suites: 20%-30% off (60+)
Econo Lodge: 40% off (60+)
Hampton Inns & Suites: 40% off when booked 72 hours in advance
Hyatt Hotels: 25%-50% off (62+)
InterContinental Hotels Group: various discounts at all hotels (65+)
Mainstay Suites: 10% off with Mature Traveler's Discount (50+); 20%-30% off (60+)
Marriott Hotels: 25% off (62+)
Motel 6: Stay Free Sunday nights (60+)
Myrtle Beach Resort: 30% off ( 55 +)
Quality Inn: 40%-50% off (60+)
Rodeway Inn: 20%-30% off (60+)
Sleep Inn: 40% off (60+)

ACTIVITIES & ENTERTAINMENT ;:
AMC Theaters: up to 30% off ( 55 +)
Bally Total Fitness: $100 off memberships (62+)
Busch Gardens Tampa, FL: $13 off one-day tickets ( 50 +)
Carmike Cinemas: 35% off (65+)
Cinemark/Century Theaters: up to 35% off
Massage Envy - NYC 20% off all "Happy Endings" (62 +)
U.S. National Parks: $10 lifetime pass; 50% off additional services including camping (62+)
Regal Cinemas: 50% off Ripley's Believe it or Not: @ off one-day ticket ( 55 +)
SeaWorld, Orlando , FL : $3 off one-day tickets ( 50 +)

CELL PHONE DISCOUNTS :
AT&T: Special Senior Nation 200 Plan $19.99/month (65+)
Jitterbug: $10/month cell phone service ( 50 +)
Verizon Wireless: Verizon Nationwide 65 Plus Plan $29.99/month (65+).

MISCELLANEOUS:
Great Clips: $8 off hair cuts (60+)
Supercuts: $8 off haircuts (60+)

NOW, go out there and claim your discounts - - and remember -- YOU must ASK for discount ---- no ask, no discount.
I Know everyone knows someone over 50 please pass the one on!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 07:08 pm:

Thanks Keith. At age 51, I rarely think about the fact that I actually qualify for some of this stuff. I was floored when I noticed an automatic and huge discount on my car insurance last year. And yes I'm getting older and cheaper. Driving a Model T means I expect 1910s and 1920s pricing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 05:32 pm:

Several times in the past few years I have been given senior discount for food at Bojangles and hardee's. I just hit 48 in january.
So Apparently if there is a young girl at the cash register and you come hobbling in there hunched over they just assume you are over the hill and give ye the discount.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mike_black SC/FL on Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 10:34 pm:

I've found that many of these "national" companies have local franchisees that don't follow the corporate policy. Make sure you ask first.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 11:05 pm:

Mike, I agree that many individual franchiees will not honor the national discount policy. We have a "Golden Apple" card and have been to two Applebys Restaurants that have not honored it.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 01:03 am:

The one in Oroville doesn't.
Back before I was "ancient" I went into Taco Bell & the gal gave me a discount. Now I had been working on a difficult restoration problem, and was with an older guy too, so I guess my befuddled indecision on what to eat made her assume I was older. Thought to myself, "Hey, I ought to act confused more often !" Hmm, now I'm not acting. . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Lay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Lancaster Ca. on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 03:15 pm:

Just came back from Wendy's and I was told they do not offer senior discount,s on food. Only a senior drink.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 06:17 pm:

Scott, so what does Wendy's consider a senior drink? Prune juice? Just old and confused, I guess.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Lay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Lancaster Ca. on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 06:25 pm:

Yeah John. I was thinking,,,,,, how long has that drink been setting there to be a senior drink.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Tuesday, April 28, 2015 - 01:39 am:

I've never asked for a discount and never will.
When I owned the shop it cost the same to work for people regardless of their ages.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, April 28, 2015 - 01:48 am:

I understand what you're saying Craig--but the mark-up on food is incredible. If they're willing to offer a discount, at this point in my life (& income), I'll take it, and say "Thank You!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, April 28, 2015 - 08:01 am:

Well there's at least one erroneous piece of info in the list of Accomodations Senior discounts...that being Hampton Inn & Suites. My friend checked into it, and they told him they've heard of no such discount. He even called the corporate office and they told him the same. Just sayin' :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, April 28, 2015 - 09:03 am:

The best item on the list is the senior pass for federal recreational lands. It applies not only to National Parks, but also National Forests, BLM, Fish & Wildlife facilities, and Bureau of Reclamation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, April 28, 2015 - 09:56 am:

Amen to that,The Golden Eagle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Tuesday, April 28, 2015 - 10:56 am:

Yesterday I booked a room at a Best Western for an upcoming stay. The list says 40% discount, but all they gave me is a 5% discount. I imagined be the diminished discount is due to short notice and the fact that it's in a high profile destination town (in CA wine country). So, as stated above, for anything that's a little costly be sure to check first.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration