1925 Coupe Windshield Rubber

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 1925 Coupe Windshield Rubber
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Broussard on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 04:11 pm:

Greetings. Besides the "H" rubber gasket on the windshield half, what goes on from the end of the gasket to the frame? From what I see, the "H" gasket stops at the edge of the clip...so there has to be something that seals the opening between the upper and lower windshield / glass clips. Does anyone have a good picture or drawing on this? Thanks for the help

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 04:34 pm:

Robert - When I bought my '27 Fordor in 1964 (Yes, that's 51 years ago) it had the original gasket between the windshield halves. It was one piece and it went all the way from the outer frame on one side to the outer frame on the other side. The center was the typical "h" rubber available from the vendors, but the outer ends were wider and shaped to fit outer frames on each side of the windshield glass. As I said, this was all one piece.

When I got the car, this original piece was quite dried out and after awhile, it broke apart. I think I may still have some of the pieces under the back seat, but I think you get the idea of what this piece was like.

No one is making an exact reproduction of this piece. What I've done is just use the "h" rubber that's available from the vendors, and cut part of the "h" off at the ends, leaving a flat section at the ends to fill the end gap.

Hope this helps.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Manuel, Lafayette, La. on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 05:16 pm:

I wondered about that. A lot of rain comes through those gaps!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Broussard on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 05:49 pm:

Thank you Keith. That is what I was thinking, but then came up with a piece of old 1/4" thick mudflap material. I think I will cut pieces to fill that gap with that. Not exactly watertight, but then they weren't when new anyway. Thanks for your thoughts

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration