I'm having a severe case of encephalo-flatulence.... also generator trouble.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: I'm having a severe case of encephalo-flatulence.... also generator trouble.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 09:58 pm:

I've been driving for years with a Radio Shack bridge rectifier providing a diode in place of a generator cut-out. It worked very well.

A few weeks ago my bridge rectifier burnt out. Hmm.... Well ok it was at least 10 years old and in a hot engine compartment. I parted with the funds for an honest to god diode to put into my Ford cut-out can.

Shezam... burnt out diode. So then I took apart the generator and found that the insulators on the brush plate were toast. I put together another set and installed it. The car was charging a bit high... maybe 15 amps on the dash gauge.... Shezam... new bridge rectifier exploded. With the third brush turned down and the brush plate turned all the way down I started the car and tried to hook up the generator without a cutout.... off scale above 20A. Turn the car off and it goes -14A.

I know I am screwing up somehow but don't remember what it is (hence the brain fa.. err, encephalo-flatulence). Right now I have the dang generator disconnected and grounded out, but I need to fix it... I suspect I need to replace it.

Any Ideas what would make a generator go nuclear?

TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Saturday, April 25, 2015 - 10:43 pm:

Terry - Your generator is trying to contribute to global warming!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration