I've been driving for years with a Radio Shack bridge rectifier providing a diode in place of a generator cut-out. It worked very well.
A few weeks ago my bridge rectifier burnt out. Hmm.... Well ok it was at least 10 years old and in a hot engine compartment. I parted with the funds for an honest to god diode to put into my Ford cut-out can.
Shezam... burnt out diode. So then I took apart the generator and found that the insulators on the brush plate were toast. I put together another set and installed it. The car was charging a bit high... maybe 15 amps on the dash gauge.... Shezam... new bridge rectifier exploded. With the third brush turned down and the brush plate turned all the way down I started the car and tried to hook up the generator without a cutout.... off scale above 20A. Turn the car off and it goes -14A.
I know I am screwing up somehow but don't remember what it is (hence the brain fa.. err, encephalo-flatulence). Right now I have the dang generator disconnected and grounded out, but I need to fix it... I suspect I need to replace it.
Any Ideas what would make a generator go nuclear?
Terry - Your generator is trying to contribute to global warming!