Grass Valley California-Photo

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Grass Valley California-Photo
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 08:00 am:

This might have been on here before.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 08:22 am:

Today

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 09:14 am:

Where's the grass?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 09:57 am:

At Wayne's place.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 02:28 pm:

Any comment, Wayne?

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 03:24 pm:

Looks SO much better today ! :-P

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 03:25 pm:

Well at least you didn't say it was being sold in the little store on the corner. All you have to do is go in and ask to see "Mary-Jane"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 03:45 pm:

I haven't gotten a good look at that one before!! The buildings haven't changed much in a hundred years. Today there is a nice antique collective/mall right on your left. The "Del Oro" movie theater would be just behind on your right (it was built in the 1920's, "Del Oro" is Spanish for "of the gold" I believe).
The "Union" building shown in both pictures was the home of the Union Newspaper, so named because it was founded during the Civil War (an oxymoron if I ever heard one). The header line on the paper still carries their slogan "Founded in 1864 to preserve the Union...One and Inseparable" (Too bad that their politics anymore are not so grand). The Union moved into larger facilities about fifty years ago. I am glad to see that the town has seen fit to keep the front of the building looking much like it did a hundred years ago. The rear of the building has been combined with a couple others and had a furniture store in it for a long time. That store closed down a few years back. I don't know what is in there now.
Up the street, around the bend, is a shoe repair store in the lower (almost a basement) level of an old building that looks like it hasn't changed much since the '20s.
It is a nice touristy town with two good old downtown streets still surviving with several antique shops ranging from junk to high-end Oriental stuff. Several other stores of interest, pricey restaurants, and a couple nice historic hotels (one you can still stay in!) and too many bars (but with an old feel in and out) (and no, other than to glance inside at the architecture, I don't go in them).

Thank you, Herb, for such a nice photo! It looks like a '16 or '17 Studebaker delivery truck coming toward us. I wish I knew what the big touring was on the viewer's right. Could be a Buick or Overland.
Great photo!
Thanks again!
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 12:52 am:

Hey, I just saw this thread. I drove Rusty (my 1927 pickup) right down Mill Street where this photo was taken at 8:00 a.m. this morning! Had I realized the need I would have pulled over and given you a "today" photo with a T in front of these buildings.
TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 11:14 am:

Terry - You can still do it and we'd certainly like to see that picture. :-)

Keith

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration