New spring bolts arrived--what nut to use?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: New spring bolts arrived--what nut to use?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 12:36 pm:

No, not the nut behind the wrench!! In a quick look around, I haven't found a description of the nut used on the spring center bolt--square or hex?
And I would assume that after tightening the nut, one should peen the end of the bolt to prevent loosening??
BTW, the bolts are works of art--many thanks to Bob & others who made this happen!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 01:22 pm:

I think it might be square, that's what the Model A used. After the nut is installed cinched down and the excess bolt is cut off the end should be peened over to keep the nut from backing off. The thing about a square nut is it has only four corners to help lock to the spring leaf, the hex is more round and has less surface area. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 04:14 pm:

The front spring bolt nut is 19/32" square x 5/16" thick. The thread is 5/16" x 18 tpi.

The rear nut is 9/16" square x 3/8" thick. It is threaded 3/8 x 16 tpi.

Hope this helps.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 06:36 pm:

thanks RV, never thought about the nuts when I bought the bolts!
Duh, , , ,

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration