Attaching wood spokes to rims 1920 touring

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Attaching wood spokes to rims 1920 touring
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bernard Beary on Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 04:22 pm:

I hit a curb and knocked off the H cover holding the rivets that hold the wood spokes to the rim. I have a new cover and rivets but not sure how to press them on. Does anyone have instructions or help with what to search for.
Thanks
Bernard Beary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 04:46 pm:

Take the tire off and then rerivet that plate back on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bernard Beary on Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 04:51 pm:

Is there a correct way to rerivet? That is my confusion.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 07:18 pm:

Seeing as how I am sure you don't want to wreck your wheel and your new rivets, I am going to suggest you get some more rivets and PRACTICE on some scrap material!!
I'm also concerned that the "felloe" is so loose to the rim that the rivets sheered when you hit a curb. This should be a really tight press fit. The rivets are truly just for extra security.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 08:35 pm:

Yes, the wooden felly should be very tight on the steel rim. Years ago, a friend took one of his brass Ts onto a tour. He had noticed that the felly had moved slightly in one spot before the tour, but didn't think too much about it.
Partway on the tour, he noticed it had moved a bit more. He showed it to some friends. The wheel was jacked up and everything seemed really tight. So he continued on the tour. By the time the tour was completed, and the car driven home, the entire steel rim was off center from the felly almost a half inch all the way around. It was estimated that he had driven about fifty miles AFTER the last rivet gave way. The only things that kept the wheel together was the tightness (and the valve stem which was nearly sheared by the time he got home). I saw the wheel before it was taken apart and repaired.
It was tight. The felly was carefully hydraulic pressed back to center. The rivets, and the inner-tube were replaced.
Now. I do not generally recommend driving on wood felly wheels with no rivets in them. But this little recollection should give you an idea of how tight a wheel should be.
Do drive carefully, and enjoy! W2

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration