Just got back from my first parade.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Just got back from my first parade.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 05:48 pm:

Jacksonville Beach Fl. Just had their annual "Opening of the Beaches" parade.While waiting on the parade to start several "Experts" said that my model"T" would not make it all the way because I hadn't installed a water pump. Funny They weren’t around at the end of the parade, however I did see several modern cars with steaming radiators. Maybe they should remove their water pumps! it was only 92 Degrees today. Fun for me and the wife :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Lay,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Lancaster Ca. on Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 06:47 pm:

Hey, that sounds great. I am a little cautious about running my car in a parade because of the heat, I live in the desert, and worry of it overheating. I get encouraged by guys like you who go in parades with no water pumps. Thanks. Soooo how did you like being in one?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 07:21 pm:

Probably the number one criteria for a successful non-overheating parade is basically having a flat tube radiator. Put one in my '25 TT firetruck and so far have had no problem in some very hot, slow parades. Moto meter only made it to the top of the "open circle", leaving plenty of room to spare!
Glad you had fun G.R.!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank M. Brady on Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 07:45 pm:

- used to live in Jax Beach 1973. Sure wish I was there to see the parade.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 08:27 pm:

I paraded my buddys 21 touring several times in Brandon, FL on July fourth when it was so hot it hard to breathe. The car had an original type round tube radiator and no water pump. Never over heated. The parade was roughly 1 1/2 miles.
When our Ts don't have motometers we install the cap just loosely in the radiator neck with no gasket. A few hundred yards before the end if I saw a wisp of steam and a few water bubbles at the cap I would idle the engine a little faster during the many stops and this would settle it down
The John Deere Model D tractor can work in the hot sun all day at 2 or 3 mph without over heating. It has a 500 cid engine and no water pump.
My point? Model Ts don't need water pumps. However it is kind of handy to have one in your tool box. If you park on an incline they make an excellent wheel chock. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 12:57 am:

We do the Memorial Day Parade in Newfields NH every year with a no equipped Model T.
No-equipped means no starter, no water pump, no-new radiator, and no brains.
The parade stops at numerous places to lay wreaths and remember the heroes.

The first year it stopped running about 30 yards from the finish and I just rolled down a small hill to get out of the way.
I found that the problem was vapor lock where the gas line passed close to the exhaust pipe.
I rerouted the gas line and wrapped the exhaust pipe with racers header tape.

The second year was really hot and my daughter brought a water bottle with a spray head to keep the girls cool.
The Motor meter pegged when we stopped so she misted the radiator and the temp went down.
This was the first year I used the high lock out block on the brake handle so the vehicle could not easily go into high gear

The third year I over filled the radiator and it blew water out until it found it's happy level.
This was the year that I decided to turn the car off during the stops.
People applauded when I cranked it to start.
My daughter used the spry bottle on me!

This year I might let my son drive the T in the parade!
My daughter will probably bring a super squirter to harass him. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 07:55 am:

Scott It was really nice seeing the parade from the participant side for a change every one wanted to hear the horn except for the "ELVIS" impersonator in front of us.
Fred: great to see that your son and daughter are enjoying the hobby, even though I have an Improved Ford I still hand cranked it when the parade started, great way to show off:-) (My wife said I just did it to impress the girls wearing bikini's)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 08:21 am:

Well nothing wrong with that G.R.!! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 08:39 am:

LOL GR when I saw the last line in your post I thought nothing wrong with that . Then I read what Tim said!

I laughed so hard it brought tears to my eyes and I almost spilled my tea.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration