Cut out problems

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Cut out problems
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erv Mrosek on Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 07:19 pm:

getting ready to start 27 t and looked down to see no cut out switch on generator. Put in a 5055 from Lang's. went to hook up neg bat terminal and got a spark. Key is off, headlights or horm not wired yet. Engine not running for fear of frying generator. Tested cutout by grounding case and putting 5 volts to commutator connection get 5 volts on other side of cutout terminal. switched leads sending current in opposite direction and still get 5 volts. Is cutout defective??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnH on Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 09:25 pm:

The 5055 is listed as the diode version. The claimed 5A rating seems a bit odd.
The ground connection has no function with the diode cutout.
To test this cutout, connect a test lamp in series with it to a battery. The lamp should light up with the cutout only one way round. If it lights up with the cutout both ways round, the diode is shorted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erv Mrosek on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 08:33 am:

Maybe I misstated what I did. I applied 5 volts to one side of diode and measured 5 volt on other side of diode. applied 5 volts to other side of diode and read 5 volts again. I switched power lead from one side to other and got voltage in both directions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erv Mrosek on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 10:28 am:

Sorry for my ignorance. I did what you suggested and the cut out lights up only in the proper direction. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnH on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 07:53 pm:

Sounds like the cut out is ok then.
Just one thing, make sure it's the negative battery terminal that's grounded. Unlike the original mechanical cut out, battery polarity is important.
These diode cut outs are also made for Model A's using a positive ground system which has sometimes caused confusion. I note that the Lang's part is negative ground however.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration