There are bad days, Then there are BAD days

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: There are bad days, Then there are BAD days
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Melbourne Florida on Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 08:17 pm:

For 35 years I drove in Northern NY through some of the worst snow storms a man could drive through. At times the snow was so hard you couldn't see the ornament on the hood and never, Not one scratch on the car or ticket. Two years driving in Germany in snow so deep on the autobahn I was braking trail for corad, Not one problem.

15 years driving all over New Jersey and again not one scratch. In 43 years I had a perfect record until today

I move to Florida, Been here 4 weeks and in one day I get side swiped by an elderly woman who thought she was in the wrong lane and cut into me and police give me two tickets even though I was in the right. I think life was safer in Northern NY in the winter.

Glad I wasnt in my Model T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 09:33 pm:

Will, what was the police' reasoning? Why didn't she get the tickets other than pity from the officers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Garnet on Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 10:08 pm:

It's a bugger when there's no witnesses to help you out Will. I got sideswiped by a geezer when I was 22. I ended up on the sidewalk trying to evade the old guy but he still got me. The cops felt bad about it but since nobody stopped to give a statement I was held 50% responsible. I've always hoped that old fellow had a rotten life after that, and I've always stopped to give statements when I witnessed accidents. It's a simple thing to do and those few minutes will help another person out immeasurably.

Garnet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 08:43 am:

Great philosophy Garnet! Too bad most people don't think that way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 08:50 am:

That is why my Tow vehicle has 2 camera's continuously recording when the vehicle is in use.
Like the ambulance chasers say in an accident the fact that you were cited by the officer is not admissible in court :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Melbourne Florida on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 09:04 am:

GR, I have a camera system in my truck that records both front and back because of all the nut case drivers in NJ, You can just bet Im putting a system in my car now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 09:13 am:

Will

Welcome to Florida. It's a great place, but you do have to watch out for the old f--ts. (not that you or I are among them ;o)

Seriously, that problem is not uncommon - happened to me 6 mos ago. Fellow decided he needed to be in the right lane, regardless of the fact I was already there. I avoided him but it cost me a new right front tire. probably cheaper than the body work that would have had to be done.

I don't know what you do about that except to be extra careful when someone's in the left lane. My wife says if you can't see their head through the rear window, avoid them!

I don't know what the cops were thinking, but I would go to court on that one if just to have a little chat with the cop in front of the judge.

Good luck!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 11:50 am:

In my experience police officers are human enough to use bad judgement and be ignorant of the law. I'm with Bud. I sure wouldn't pay this without telling it to a judge.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 12:18 pm:

I have not been to Florida, but Saturday I almost got it. We have few storms in this part of California, but when we do, people think it is fine to drive just like on a sunny day. We were out on a T tour, and if I had not been the tour leader, would probably stayed home this time. Anyway we had drizzly rain and strong winds driving along a winding mountain road. On top of all that, no side curtains and the old hand crank wiper blade is 20 years old so just a smear. I drove the T a little slower than I usually drive that road in dry weather and pulled over several times when it was safe to to so to let other cars pass. We were going along with a double line which means "do not pass". No shoulder on which to pull over and the modern car behind me decides to pass over the center line. Right then another car came around a blind curve and they almost had a head on. Fortunately the passer was able to pull in just in front of my fender and they avoided a collision. If they had crashed, we would likely have been involved too. and maybe I would not be posting this today.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Clark-Deer Lodge, Tn on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 12:34 pm:

My uncle is a captain of police, We boarded the mounted police, we had a cop work part time, doing cnc programing for us, My best man to my now wife was a deputy sheriff, brides mate was married to a different sheriff. We target Shot with a sheriff department. I always said, if someone ever chased me, I wanted to be a cop, they can run. If any one was shooting at me, I wanted it to be a cop, they are crappy at it. And Never believe a cop! My first wifes son is a cop. I have been around many cops all my life. Enough said!

Pat

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 12:42 pm:

A few years back the mother-in-law developed terminosis and we found ourselves
driving from Spokane down to Hood River every weekend to spend time with her
before she croaked out. On one return trip, I got stopped as I entered the eastbound
lanes after stopping for gas in Arlington. The ramp is a steep up grade and the cop
said I was doing 85 in a 65. This was absurd, as it would take the ex's car another
half mile just to get up to legal speed, ... but as I was rather preoccupied with our
situation to be chasing a faraway court appearance,I just paid the ticket and pushed
on.

Two weeks later I got stopped again at Cello. Cop said I was going 86 in a 65. This
time I had the cruise set at 65 and asked a lot of questions. He told me he clocked me
at mile post X, that he had traveled in the opposite direction to the highway crossing at
Biggs, and then turned around to chase me down at milepost Y. I did the math. He
covered six-point-something miles in the time it took me to cover 1-point-something
miles at 86mph ! It worked out to some spectacular number like 296mph that he had
to drive in order to catch up to me, allowing no slow downs for the stop sign at Hwy 97
or the left turn back on to 84 or any traffic concerns.

I ran it by a couple friends to make sure my math was solid and then proceeded to
make up some boards with a map overlay with colored lines to show what the
officer had described (and written on the ticket), along with a graph showing speed
ratios and photos of the area. I was all set to go to court and called for directions to
the courthouse in JOHN DAY .... an absurdly long and circuitous distance from "the
scene of the crime, unquote", only to have a judge pick up the phone. After a brief
discussion to identify myself, she asked about my name spelling. The officer had
misspelled my name. She asked if it was misspelled on my driver's license. I checked,
it was not. So, she dismissed the charge right there over the phone and all my fancy
graphics boards went to waste. I was kinda bummed that I didn't get to present that
one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 01:06 pm:

The cops definitely get it wrong on occasion. I got ticketed while in college. Officer said that in 2 blocks from a stop sign I had accelerated to 38 in a 25 zone. In some cars I might actually have done that but I was driving my '59 Simca Aronde' with 6 adults (well college students) in the car. Went to court in Blaine, WA (small border town then) and the place was locked up. Friend who was with me but from there said he knew where the judge would be (I did not ask he he would know that) and sure as death and taxes the judge was in the bar. I explained the situation and the judge listened patiently, asked if I was a student at the nearby church college and he said well, the cop didn't come to court and you seem like a good kid so I'll dismiss the ticket so you can get out of the bar seeing as you aren't 21.

Took the cash I was prepared to pay the ticket with and got a couple cases of beer. We were probably pretty well lit up when we drove back to campus. The school would NOT have approved if we brought any beer back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Melbourne Florida on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 01:31 pm:

The ticket cost me $169.00 and one point. I was told since there were no witness and no traffic cams it was my word against the police officers and I would more than likely lose and have to pay court costs if I took it to court. Now I get to go to bad drivers school to get that point removed. My Dash Cam for the car will be here sometime next week. If there is a next time I will be ready.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Melbourne Florida on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 01:40 pm:

Oh, I should have mentioned, That other ticket was because I backed into a parking spot at the beach. I did not know I was not supposed to back in, Drive in only. $20.00 dollar lesson learned. And it was clearly marked on the meter, I just filled the meter full of quarters and went to have fun without reading the fine print that was in big bold letters. I think they call that they call that tunnel vision. Most times it can be very hard to see backing out of a parking spot if you have a larger car or truck next to you so I like to either pull through or back in so I can see coming out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 01:55 pm:

On the flip side, I have both worked in law enforcement and been
involved in the culture since taking criminal justice classes in college.

Our current media uproar over "out-of-control" cops *may* highlight
a few bad cops, but I can definitely understand the police position of
dealing with society's riff-raff day in and day out and the endless lines
of BS cops are fed.

While not directly related to this thread, it amazes me the purposeful
"disconnect" being foisted upon the public that "blacks" are somehow
the same thing as ghetto dirtbags, the two terms being interchangeable.
When some ghetto dirtbag assaults a cop after robbing a convenience
store, he gets shot by the cop, and the story is reported as "unarmed
black man shot by renegade white cop". Hello ? Are you kidding me ?

At what point to people own their sh!t ? At what point do we actually
demand the recognition of bad behavior and that groups that embrace
bad behavior do something about it ?

Bad people come in all colors and uniforms. It's a behavior thing, and
behavior is a CHOICE ! But holding people accountable for bad choices
does not perpetuate the social angst and discontent and the malcontents
of the world cannot make "hay", money, and power when everyone does
the right thing and get along.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John C Codman on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 06:01 pm:

I spend about a third of the year in FL. Trust me - the old fahts aren't the problem. On WINK-TV in Ft. Meyers, there was a news report earlier this year that found that the elderly drivers have the best - BEST - driving record of all Florida driver demographics. I would agree with this. When we inform our insurance company of the move in our principal place of garaging from Massachusetts to the sunshine state, (required if the car will be more then 90 days away from home) our insurance premium rises by about 10%. Having observed Florida drivers, I think that is a bargain. It is the younger drivers that are crazy. Have you ever been passed (when doing the speed limit + 8) by a yahoo in an F-250 on the center strip? I have - in sunny Florida. The worst drivers in the USA.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Schrope - Upland, IN on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 10:21 pm:

Burger - I agree. It's a shame more folks can't see it that way. Of course, the media doesn't want them to.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Rose on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 11:00 pm:

I have a brother who is a cop and a sister who is a hooker. I only admit to having the sister who is a hooker.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 11:15 pm:

Media are plural.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Tuesday, April 28, 2015 - 12:49 am:

Will,

She was blinded by the intense light of the sun ... :-)

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, April 28, 2015 - 01:59 am:

By John C, " Have you ever been passed (when doing the speed limit + 8) by a yahoo in an F-250 on the center strip?"

Several times! probably on the order of eight to ten times over the past forty years. In sunny Califunny.

Do drive carefully, wherever you are! And enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, April 28, 2015 - 10:12 am:

This i think is the first i have ever responded to anything ever posted by Burger but his post 4/27 01.55 hit's it on the head!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Clark-Deer Lodge, Tn on Tuesday, April 28, 2015 - 10:28 am:

When I moved here I complained to the sheriff about my drug dealing neighbors, and was treated like I was, the one doing something wrong. I also asked why, they don't do something about the people passing the people doing 55, the speed limit is 45, in front of our house. Turns out that most of his relatives live out this way, and refuses to do anything, because it may get friends & relatives in trouble!

Here they are a insult to all other sheriff departments everywhere!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Tuesday, April 28, 2015 - 12:49 pm:

Amen Burger

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Tuesday, April 28, 2015 - 12:57 pm:

Steve, media are plural but "media" is plural.... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Tuesday, April 28, 2015 - 01:14 pm:

Media, medium...

What do you call a midget gypsy that escapes from prison?

- A small medium at large

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Tuesday, April 28, 2015 - 02:35 pm:

trouble is they dont keep those floridian's down there. They come here and bring their driving habits with them. I dont know which is worse, a floridian driver or a new yorker with his (%&# horn.

I slipped and fell on ice that was covering the road 1 night and a state trooper got a nice dent in his right rear hubcap from my foot. My ankle hurt for 2 weeks after that.Later on I was run completely off the road by a sheriff's deputy and now to this day I keep a good eye on law enforcement vehicles because they can move erratically and get away with it.

The dash cams are ok and much better than walking into court naked with no evidence. But cgi is so good now,who is to say the evidence presented by either party in court is real or cgi?Computer generated imagery?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Tuesday, April 28, 2015 - 02:42 pm:

I don't want to have fruit and vegetables thrown at me, but, as a young man I have to say - I see a TON of people: at the grocery store, in the mall, at Walmart, whatever, and my first thought is "Oh my goodness, one of them drove here. They can barely get around, they have zero business driving."

I'm sorry. But, I personally think after 65 you should have to take a driving test every year that is mainly a practical, on road test. Fail it as often as you want, but you can't renew your license until you pass, and you can't take it more than once a month. There are WAY too many folks on the road that absolutely should not be there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Tuesday, April 28, 2015 - 02:58 pm:

Family members need to take more control when an elderly person becomes dangerous. That is easier said than done but is a necessity at times. I don't think that most states could come up with a regular testing system and handle it efficiently.

On the subject of young drivers, I believe that they are more dangerous at times but for a different reason. They simply aren't paying attention. Thank you cell phones and texting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Tuesday, April 28, 2015 - 04:59 pm:

When my father inlaw was 93 the family had a meeting at our house about pulling his license after hearing stories from others about his driving. My job was to go get him and bring him to the meeting. After I picked him up he tells me that when he backed out of the garage he hit the wrong pedal and shot into the street. I am thinking this is not a good time for this story. I bring him to our house with his family all there. He tells them the same story. He hasn't driven since.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, April 28, 2015 - 05:16 pm:

Seth: Mom is 85 has lived in Florida since she was 18. 1 accident (police car ran into the back of her school bus) 4 tickets as far as I know for speeding (lifetime) I'll ride with her any time!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Tuesday, April 28, 2015 - 05:26 pm:

My wife's grandfather is 95 and lives next door to us with his wife of 92. She hasn't driven in years, but he still does, and he's dangerous. Two weeks ago he drove into a brick wall of a business. As he was parking his van, he hit the gas instead of the brake and into the wall he went. A woman sitting inside the business was thrown across the room, and is bringing a suit against him. My wife has spoken to the police, and they will be requiring him to pass a road test in order to keep his license. Needless to say, he's not happy about having to take a road test. He blames the accident on the brakes, not admitting to any culpability at all.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, April 28, 2015 - 05:44 pm:

My Mom is 91, and just passed her driving test. RATS thought that would take of it. I don't live nearby, but both my Brother (lives on the same property), and my Sister do & they still let her drive. I suspect her driving is OK, but she might forget where she is, or why she's there.
My Father-in-law was still driving at 89, and was not safe--and had no license, nor insurance. I took the rotor out of the distributor. The car had been steaming, as a hose had a crack in it, but he'd drive it until it steamed, then stop until it "cooled down" and go on driving. I told him it just quit running & I'd fix it later. He lived in Grass Valley, and only drove a few miles, but still. . . .After that we went up every week to help him get groceries and out to dinner so he'd have one good meal (Linda's mom had passed away a few years before & that's another story. . . .
When we get old, apparently we lose some of our logic and hold on reality. I pity the ones that will have to corral me!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, April 28, 2015 - 07:15 pm:

My Mom is 85, and, her driving scares me a little. But, her driving scared me when she first got her license about fifty years ago. I don't think she is much more dangerous now than she was then. But I do ride with her from time to time and watch how she does.
In all seriousness, she is almost as sharp as the proverbial tack and in better shape generally than almost anyone else in the family including me.
Do drive carefully, you really don't know who is out there! And enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Tuesday, April 28, 2015 - 08:12 pm:

I have always felt like my dad learned to drive watching very old movies where the character moves the steering wheel side to side to simulate driving. I get sea sick riding with him. But he does just fine otherwise at 81.
He was at the bank 1 day and was writing in his check book when suddenly the truck starting moving sideways. He looked and a big chevy impala was pushing on his right rear wheel of his truck. He got out, watched the guy change gears and ram his truck again trying to get in the parking space. Dad reached in the door and grabed the gearshift and jambed it in park and ask him what the **#) was he thinking. Turns out at that time, the man was the oldest man in NC to still have a license. Seems like,he was 98 or 99? The man wrote a check for the repair bill . But yet,he insist he was just trying to get in the next parking space and my dad's truck was over the line and in his way.:0

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Tuesday, April 28, 2015 - 10:33 pm:

40 years ago I was on my way home from my 1st day working in a body shop fresh out of technical school. An 83 yr old made a U turn in front of me driving a 51 Dodge P U and I broad sided him. He went to the hospital with miner injuries. Both vehicles were totaled. His ins. only wanted to pay 80% said it was 20% my fault for being on the hwy that day. I took him to court. I just happened to sit next to him in the lobby before court. He told me he was going to the Rochester MN airport to pick up his brother inlaw flying in from Germany but missed his turn. Then he found out he flew into Rochester NY. What a wrong turn for him, and I won my case.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Wednesday, April 29, 2015 - 06:43 am:

Seth
This might be a good time to remove Havelock SC from your profile.
A few of the guys on the forum are over 65 and most of them are looking for some excitement

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, April 29, 2015 - 08:59 am:

"A few of the guys on the forum are over 65..." Ha! This is the geriatric center of the internet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Wednesday, April 29, 2015 - 09:03 am:

I assumed when I read the post that Seth is still at an age where 65 seems old.

I also see people at the supermarket who shouldn't be driving, but most of them are not 65... they have children who are 65.... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, April 29, 2015 - 01:28 pm:

Hmmm, some of the folks I see at the supermarket who shouldn't be driving aren't even 30 years old--and they probably shouldn't be seen in public either!! :-) Check out the "Walmart Shoppers" pics on the internet.
Mack, I once rode with a guy who didn't know how to hold a throttle setting, zoom, coast, zoom, coast for four hours!! You actually rocked in the seat! Then the family had another friend, who was in his 70s who only really knew two speeds--flat out & dead stopped! Only rode with him ONCE!! Really nice guy otherwise. How'd I live to adulthood??

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration