Fordson lawn art.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Fordson lawn art.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 08:22 pm:

I was ripping down a country road in my T today when I spotted the unmistakable front end of a Fordson tractor. I figured there were more than a few here who would like to see it so I turned back. These pics are especially for the guy who was good enough to demonstrate a running Fordson at the Homecoming event in Richmond last summer. Enjoy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 08:36 pm:

She looks like an Irish Fordson. Too bad she couldn't be saved - been looking for an Irish.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John McGinnis in San Jose area, CA. on Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 09:31 pm:

Why stay as yard art? Looks like a good candidate for restoration...all there and can be done. Somebody would have to love it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 07:35 am:

You see a lot of tractors as yard art nowadays. It almost seems to be a competition to see who can display the most impressive tractor and this guy clearly wins. Sad to see something so complete and historic rot away though. Can't they at least get a can of paint and a brush and at least stop it from rusting away?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 08:17 am:

Looks very restoreable to me. There are a few in this area used as yard art,but they are in rough shape. I have four of these, one is pretty rough and I have thought about using it as yard art, but it actually is restorable and has kept me from using it as yard art.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 08:35 am:

Slap some linseed oil on it at least and put a cap on that air washer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 08:42 am:

When will people learn?

That is history just rusting away! :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 09:30 am:

I agree with you guys. That tractor looks like it's just waiting for some old goof ball like one of us to take it home and restore it! Heck, that tractor doesn't look much worse than my TT, which runs and drives just fine.

Ron: Dave is in Ontario. What makes you think this is an "Irish" Fordson? For that matter, how is an Irish Fordson different from any other?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 10:00 am:

Pat in Montana calls that a new tractor! :-)

Henry, It's an Irish tractor because the radiator hold whiskey instead of water. That way in the winter the driver or the radiator doesn't freeze :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 10:14 am:

So Seth, based on the information you provided if I put red jug wine in the radiator of my TT does that make it an Italian TT? :-) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 10:28 am:

It looks to me as though some of the Irish Cream has spewed form the radiator and gotten on the Wheels. #!0)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil C Bartlett, Shively CA on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 10:29 am:

Henry, later model Fordsons where built in Ireland after the Fordson plant was used too build the model A. You can tell them by the magneto and governor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 10:42 am:

Thanks Neil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 11:13 am:

Richard,

Here's one from the Highlands chased by a "barn find"

Just make mine Scotch....

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 12:20 pm:

Surprised that nobody has mentioned the very obvious side drive magneto!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 02:22 pm:

How about the complete fenders, hard to find in that shape, I believe. Using this as "Yard Art" is disrespecting historic preservation!
Just In my Opinion, of course.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 03:41 pm:

There's a Fordson yard art near me that looks in fairly complete condition. The guy retrieved it from the scrap yard at a pretty fair price.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 05:00 pm:

Fordsons were produced in Cork, Ireland from 1928-1932 (production moved to Dagenham, England after that). An Irish Fordson can be recognized from afar by:

1. Cast front wheels
2. Curved front axle
3. Large, rounded air washer
4. Boat tail rear fenders
5. Spade lugs on rear wheels

Up close, the main kerosene tank will be stamped "made in Cork, Irelabd." They were sold all over Europe and imported to the U.S. by Ford.

Been looking for a decent Irish Fordson for a long time. Agree, this one could be saved, but you'd have to get it NOW. Do not think saving is in her future by the depth those front wheels are buried.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 05:03 pm:

"made in Cork, Ireland"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 09:30 pm:

Here is a pic of mine. My friends call it the "Fordson Chapel" Its under roof and the wheels are off the ground. :-) Ill probably spray her with linseed oil this summer ...

fordson 1

fordson 2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 09:45 pm:

Guys I have an old mate on the edge of town who collects and overhauls stuff like this as well as scrapers/dozers etc as his father and then he and his brothers owned a Earth Moving business. He often has old tractors arriving so theres always more to see on each visit. I'm due to visit him again and I'll check out his Fordson supply when there and let you know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Tuesday, April 28, 2015 - 01:57 am:

I drove down this arvo to have a look plus show him my T, he has 40 odd tracked D Caterpillas plus Graders, Scrapers etc plus 70 odd Vintage tractors stored inside his sheds about half of these rebuilt but only just a few Fordsons.
I saw two E27N's plus another old one however none of these have been started on.
The Red one is a 1939 F14 McCormick Deering. sst1ssst2sssc2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Tuesday, April 28, 2015 - 06:19 am:

Donnie, you have the neatest stuff. It just never ends. When I grow up, I want to be you!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration