OT How to buy an unregistered vehicle out of state and drive it?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT How to buy an unregistered vehicle out of state and drive it?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill in Adelaida Calif on Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 08:33 pm:

My boss is looking for a specific type of vehicle.
We are located in Calif, the truck is in Oregon and its next home if we get it will be in PA.
It would be driven from Oregon to Calif and then be in Calif for 5 months before being driven to PA and registered in PA. Do I get a permit of some sort in Oregon to drive it to CA? or do I get the permit in CA?
Does it have to be registered in CA? I will check with CA DMV but I thought I would ask the experts (you guys) first

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison- PA on Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 08:43 pm:

Are you saying it has no title? Is this antique or vintage truck?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill in Adelaida Calif on Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 08:56 pm:

It is a state of Oregon road department truck. Title yes, but no plates and not registered, so it needs some sort of registration or permit to operate. We need a "worthless but solid" vehicle to tow a heavy trailer from New Jersey to Hershey and Carlisle each fall. Our current pickup has terminal rust and needs to be put down.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 09:30 pm:

You will need insurance (and will need to show proof) before you even go to the DMV. You will also need the title and bill of sale. A trip permit should get you going on your way. Look up online which Oregon DMV offices deal with out of state transactions.
You could also call the main office in Salem and ask, like any DMV expect some hang time. :-)
Of course if you bought it through a State Auction they might be able to get you set up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 04:50 am:

Bill,

Your Boss will need to pay the CA registration/sales/license tax if it hits the road in CA & then again in PA.

No way getting around that.

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill in Adelaida Calif on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 09:59 am:

Ouch

Registering a 1 ton 4x4 pickup is not cheap in CA.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 11:07 am:

Can you just take the paperwork to PA DMV and get PA plates then drive it where ever?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Saylor, Citrus Heights, Ca on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 11:24 am:

Might be easier and maybe cheaper to register in Oregon with a temporary permit. If its going to set unused then Register in Calif with a non-op then get a temporary permit and Drive to PA then register there.
I once bought a new car trailer from an Indiana Broker, picked it up at the factory in UT. Broker sent me a temporary Indiana permit. Then registered in Ca when I got it home.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 11:59 am:

I think John Saylor is on the right track. And if the CA non-op/temporary permit doesn't work I'd consider just registering it in PA as soon as he obtains it. So what if it goes from OR to PA via CA? As long as it is registered in some state and its visit to CA is temporary trying to go through CA DMV may be an expensive and pointless exercise. Think of it this way, if the truck was going straight from OR to PA how would you handle it? A temporary stay in CA shouldn't matter.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 12:32 pm:

We have a service here in our town of Alpine which will obtain vehicle registration and title. I bought one many years ago with a bill of sale. The car was just a pile of rusty parts. I called the service and they sent someone to my home and inspected the engine block and got the engine number and it was titled in my name. I registered it as non-operation until the car was restored and then got the registration at that time which was 10 years later. I just had to pay a non-operation fee each year to keep it in their data base. The reason I did that was because I wanted to be sure the car could be titled and registered in my name before spending the time and money to restore it.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 12:32 pm:

Bill, Buy a truck in PA. What your boss is trying to do has more moving parts than a helicopter...You know for sure that if that truck resides in CA. and is driven in CA. for that long, Moonbeam is going to want his cut. The other thing you could do is have it trucked from OR. to CA. then trucked to PA for its first registration.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 01:56 pm:

To register it in PA all you need is a PA address. If your moving soon and have relatives in PA use their address then after you move just do a change of mailing address to your house.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 02:00 pm:

Bill,
My advice would be to avoid CA registration at all costs (pun intended) as CA will want it smogged for CA, you'll have to pay an importation fee likely and commercial rigs are very expensive to register in CA. I would see about getting it's registration transferred from OR to PA directly. If it's registered in PA, and your boss has residence in PA, you'll be fine in CA for almost a year, I believe. Sounds like you'll be getting out of state sooner than that--for that matter, any way of NOT bringing it into CA?? I have a number of T's that are registered like Norman's and for the same reason! Heck, I'd keep them on current license, if it weren't so danged expensive here!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Hoffman - Mokelumne Hill, Calif. on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 02:50 pm:

I think the minimum license fee in Ca will be about $140. Then there's the use tax, about 7.5% of the buying cost, plus misc other fees. You can find the exact amount if you have the license number/VIN at
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/FeeCalculatorWeb/vlfForm.do

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 10:29 pm:

I am guessing but both PA and CA will want to inspect it. Fees and taxes=yes. When I got my roadster from Ohio it first had to be seen by the Kansas Highway Patrol, and a $20.00 fee later paper work was in order for going to the court house for title and tags here in Kansas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill in Adelaida Calif on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 11:28 pm:

I am trying to balance price vs the pain in the butt factor due to location. We dont' want to buy a PA vehicle as the rust issue is a biggie where it will live. After the first PA inspection it will usually only have to be inspected every 4 years due to the low amount of use it will get.
When we are done with it a work it will probably be a good running truck with severe rust like the current one has. The current truck (actually a 1998 Ford extracab 3/4 ton) has 200k+ miles, No working windows, one door that opens from the inside only, no defroster, a caved-in roof from kids jumping on it and rust. Did I mention it has some rust?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill dugger on Tuesday, April 28, 2015 - 12:26 am:

Back in the early days, 1956 I bought a car in Mansfield, Missouri. I told the dealer that I was going to California in 2 weeks (that was in (Sept 56)to live and he told me that I should get the sticker of sale and go to California and then register it here in California. I did that and had no problem.
The funny part of the story is that I had not registered it here yet (about a month) after I arrived here. I had gone to a movie and was parked at the curb and was ready to go to my parent house and this cop turned on his red lights and got me out of the car and wanted to know where I got the car and why I was parked where I was, and I told him I had just came out of the movie. Just then another Cop rolled up, he was a LT. and he asked who I was and a few other questions. Turned out he was a friend of my MOM and DAD's, and he then informed the Cop that I had just got out of the Army. Thank God he Came by.
Bill D

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Tuesday, April 28, 2015 - 12:47 am:

FYI ...

If this is a diesel vehicle - you might not be able to register it in California ...

Very strict emission requirements.

I would recommend your boss contact California DMV before purchasing any diesel vehicle ...

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Tuesday, April 28, 2015 - 10:11 pm:

I'd get it registered in Oregon before doing anything.
Don't be stuck with a truck that you can't register.
In CA. you can drive a vehicle with an out of state license plate as long as you don't get a job or put a child in school.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill in Adelaida Calif on Tuesday, April 28, 2015 - 10:20 pm:

I think the issue has been resolved. The vehicle we were looking at has a couple of issues we don't want to deal with so its off the table. Whew. The search continues.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, April 28, 2015 - 11:42 pm:

Decades ago, when registration was easier, I was looking at an unrestored Plymouth 4-door (to become our regular car) mostly because the original woodgraining was mint. No title & it was in Medford, Oregon, and I lived in California. Walked away from it, was just too much paperwork even then!

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration