What year are these axle housings and prestolight tanks for ...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: What year are these axle housings and prestolight tanks for ...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 09:23 pm:

I am going thru some of the parts Ill be hauling to the Petitt Jean Swap meet at Morriliton Ark. in June. I found these 12 rivet axle housings and three prestolight tanks. 2 of the tanks have mounting brackets. I am selling all the parts for the widow of the previous owner of the parts. I know very little as to the "early" stuff. So any help is appreciated. I want to do as good a job as I can for her. Any idea as to pricing of them will also be appreciated. She does not want to make a killing on them, the money is not the real issue. She is more interested in the parts going to someone who will use them and enjoy the parts and does not want to see anything scrapped if at all possible . But I do not want to give them away either. Just a good fair price for both parties involved.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 09:28 pm:

I forgot the pics :-(

tubes

tubes 2

tubes 3

tubes 4

tanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 09:58 pm:

Housings are 13/14

Prestolite tanks are after market for any car using gas lights, so for a T 1914 and earlier, but other cars also used them. The brackets are for any car that uses the tanks.
I am interested in the brackets if you decide to sell them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 09:58 pm:

The two housings without the backing plates are the earlier, actual 1912, and worth the most. Even in that condition, probably two to three hundred apiece (conservatively, I have seen asking prices of $600, but not selling).
The other housings are late '12 to early '15 (generally referred to as the '13/'14 style) and worth somewhere around $50 to maybe as much as $150 apiece depending on condition. A couple of them do have some condition issues having been poorly re-riveted. But they usually should be redone anyway.
The tanks are the correct vintage style. Value varies a lot, from about $20 to nearly $100 for the tank alone (in good condition). A matching pair of brackets are often worth more than the tank itself (around $50 to maybe $75 for a nice pair).
Around here, the shorter tanks seem to be the hardest to find in recent years.
That is my FWIIW opinion. I wish you were closer to me. I would try to work something out for several of those pieces.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 10:13 pm:

Gary and Wayne. Thanks for the info. I am finding more early stuff as I dig deeper. I found a complete set of Torpedo running boards, fenders and splash aprons and a hood. They are somewhat rough but would be great to assemble a fun speedster or something with. There seems to be some of a Torpedo scattered thru the piles of parts. Who knows I may end up finding a whole Torpedo :-) :-) Thanks again ..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 11:00 pm:

Donnie -- I have a friend with a '12 Torpedo, and he needs some fenders. His right front is an '09 or '10, and I'm sure he'd be glad to do some trading if you have what he needs. His is a '12, so he needs front fenders with the bill. Also a left rear. The car has fenders, but they're not very good, except for the early one which is in great condition. Call me in the morning if you like.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Rosenthal in Cincinnati Oh on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 07:24 am:

Hello Donnie:
Am interested in the early 12 rear housings, if available.
Regards,
Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Rosenthal in Cincinnati Oh on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 07:34 am:

Hello Donnie;
I'm interested in the early housing parts if available.
Regards,
Scott

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 02:24 pm:

Donnie,
I'd go through the entire parts pile first, before selling stuff. Your neighbor may have disassembled a torpedo for future restoration, but he's not here now to tell ya what's where. Would be a shame to lose a complete car!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 03:52 pm:

Only way to make those 12 housings work is to remove the flared tubes and substitute tubes from a 13 or 13 rear end. The only salvageable parts are the cast center pieces. Not all that glitters is gold.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 11:27 pm:

Just want to say that the early 12 housings are sold and paid for. I have had almost a dozen interested people in the early housings. Sorry I do not have more of them .. :-( I wonder what would have happened if I actually had them for sale ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 11:50 pm:

David, I have been thru the pile pretty good. There are no early engines, no early frames, No windshield or longer steering column that would work for a Torpedo. There may still be some misc small stuff but there are way to many big ticket items missing to hope for a full car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Tuesday, April 28, 2015 - 01:25 am:

Rats, OK, at least you've checked!! What a find--did you buy it all, or are you doing this for the widow?
If that's too much questioning, you can just tell me to "bugger off!", I'm OK!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Tuesday, April 28, 2015 - 08:47 am:

Donnie, I am interested in the Torpedo sheetmetal as I continue to try an assemble my project with what original pieces I can scrounge. My dad also has a place in Van Buren Co., so it would be an easy transaction. I messaged you at the start of this thread but maybe it didn't go through. Try messaging me and we'll connect. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Tuesday, April 28, 2015 - 04:26 pm:

David, This is a buy some, sell some for commission, sell some and take my commission to buy more type of deal. If I am there and someone wants to buy stuff while Im there I do not charge her any sales commission. And remember that I get first shot at things we are finding. That is worth a lot. I have said this before, it is not about the money, Im retired and its all about the hobby, the people I meet, and the hope that someday someone may help my wife or kids dispose of Dads pile of "Junk" in an honest manner. She is probably as interested in the parts being used as the money, but for my part of the deal I want to get her a fair price for everything. Not a "killing" just a fair price for those involved. And for me, being "waist deep" in old car parts is as good a therapy as a "worn out old man" can get ... :-) :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration