Piece of brake lining broke off.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Piece of brake lining broke off.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnH on Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 09:38 pm:

I relined the right side handbrake shoe about 6 months ago, with the modern replacement.
A week ago out on a drive, a very strong pulsing could be felt in the handbrake lever when I applied the brake. When I took the wheel off I found the lining had broken off after the end rivets:
brake
Any ideas what might have caused this? I'm wondering if some kind of high temperature adhesive should be applied before rivetting, or perhaps I should just get bonded linings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 09:45 pm:

I'm far from an expert but it seems like having two rivets right next to each other made for a weak point on the lining. The shoes on my TT have the rivets staggered. It may be worth drilling some offset holes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, April 26, 2015 - 11:45 pm:

That lining looks mighty thin after only six months. Was it thin like that when you installed it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnH on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 12:02 am:

Steve, it's hardly worn down at all. I've still got the new lining for the other side I haven't put on yet, so could compare thickness.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 12:10 am:

I might be wrong or don't understand.
I thought that the brake handle stopped the car from rolling and was supposed to be used only in an emergency.
Didn't think it was designed for everyday stopping

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 12:29 am:

Some folks use the hand brake as part of their stopping routine to reduce use of the foot brake because it's easier to replace brake linings than band linings. There are arguments for and against the practice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 07:33 am:

That lining is too thin for rivets--It should have been bonded to begin with. It also looks too thin to be used for stopping. That's for parking. :-)

Who makes those shoes?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 08:38 am:

John
The location of the rivets are in the correct location. I use a lining purchased at McMaster Carr and bonded it to the band with J B weld also installed rivets. I don't use the brake for stopping just parking unless the need for rapid deceleration is required!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 08:50 am:

Same here. The larger brake in the '26-'27 is nice, but only use it for parking. Or emergency.

Can't think of a lining that would take that method of everyday stopping as a service brake.

The cam for the brake shoe action on the parking brake is at the front, so most wear will occur at the ends of the brake lining.

Outside contracting brakes, like the R/M are better, wear is much less, larger surface and braking geometry is different.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnH on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 08:17 pm:

As some have guessed, I use these brakes as the service brake - and that's how I've used them for the last 12 years, without any problems. I've done about 28,000km like that on original 1926 linings - I drive fast and stop quick too.
It's only since I put the repro lining on that this trouble has happened.
Obviously there's some difference in the repro lining and it doesn't appear to have the same tensile strength. So, I'm going to do what Mike suggests and bond them.
The lining itself seems fine in terms of stopping and rate of wear.
BTW does anyone know if the new linings contain asbestos?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 09:21 pm:

John I can almost guarantee that with the current litigious environment the new linings do not contain asbestos.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 09:52 pm:

When you riveted the linings onto the shoe, it probably cracked. Don't get mad, I did the same thing when riveting the new fan blades on my 1917 fan. They lasted about six months when I noticed the blades were loose and on inspection, all four blades were cracked around the rivet holes. You probably did the same thing. On the Curved Dash Oldsmobile brake and low band, Gary Hoonsbeen recommended bonding, no cracked linings....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 10:24 pm:

I am going with, that lining looks to thin to start with. How thick is it?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration