Scat crank clearance

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Scat crank clearance
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Michael Rogers on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 06:00 pm:

I am finishing up on a motor that got a Scat crank and need some suggestions. I know there are slight clearance problems with the cranks and the horseshoe. I have done a 4 dip and don't have any problem modifying the shoe to clear #4. A little grinding and it is done. This motor has a 3 dip and the crank hits the center bolt so hard it will lock the engine up when I turn it by hand. Now, I do admit, the pan is on with no gaskets to check the clearance and, fix any problems before I install the gasket. This also tells me just how much I have to relieve the shoe with some extra. Do I need to bend the center bolt area down to make room or would it be better to use a stud with a nut on the outside. If I use a stud, I can weld the top and grind the shoe in that area to make some clearance. I have done 2 other Scat cranks in 3 dip situations but didn't have this kind of issue. What have others done to remedy this in a 3 dip pan?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 06:08 pm:

Is this a standard SCAT or a stroker? I installed a standard SCAT in a 4 dip with no problems. When you say the center bolt I think you are referring to the center bolt at the inspection plate. Will the crank clear the rear of the horseshoe? If so, you can shorten the bolt so that it will just go through the plate, the crankcase and the horseshoe and not go any farther into the area. That would do as good as a stud, but be much easier to install. If it will not clear the horseshoe, then you will need to do some grinding.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 06:08 pm:

I grind the horse shoe and shorten the bolt. Haven't found one that would work with out doing so.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 06:38 pm:

If this post shows up twice, oh well

Found a couple of pictures of modification to the horse shoe.
First of the three dip pan followed by a four dip.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Michael Rogers on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 06:51 pm:

Norman, this is a standard Scat crank. I didn't have any problems seemingly with my own in a 3 dip motor that is a non generator motor. I also did another in a similar motor and found I had to tighten the front and rear center inspection pan bolts as tight as I dared to stop it from tapping.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Michael Rogers on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 06:53 pm:

BTW, I still have a knock in my motor sometimes that I don't attribute to timing. I may have to check the shoe in my own motor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 09:08 pm:

James
A thing that will cause a somewhat random knock is end play in the camshaft

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 10:07 pm:

I too have installed several Scat cranks in both 3and 4 dip pans. Never a problem with the four dip, but both three dips required modifications to eliminate the interference with the rear inspection pan bolt. I had to cut the horseshoe into two and the brazen a bolt into the rear hole and ground down until I had 0.05" clearance without gaskets.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration