Need brass advice.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Need brass advice.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By richard e moore on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 08:48 pm:

Anyone out there in brass land ever find anything to retard the yellowing or tarnishing. Also wondering how often you guys polish the brass and what do you use? I'm in Tennessee so it's kinda humid. I drive the Torpedo alot. Thanks in advance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 09:57 pm:

Richard - Read this article about a brass polishing demonstration given by Tod Wirth at our Dairyland Tin Lizzies "Model T University" in January. Tod has a '12 Touring and his brass is beautiful. He has won MTFCI trophies with it too. I hope the address prints here.

http://clubs.hemmings.com/dairylandtinlizzies/2015/buzz%20for%20web.pdf

This is our newsletter "The Buzz" for February, 2015 and the part about brass polishing is about half way through the 16 pages. I think you'll find it helpful.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Tuesday, April 28, 2015 - 01:12 pm:

If you do a search here you should find a months worth of testimonials of a hundred different products many of which I have tried but surely not all.

Here's what I currently use, If the tarnish is bad I start with Brite Boy metal polish which easily cleans it up and then use the Mothers BILLET metal polish which gives a long lasting and deep luster shine.

I also made covers since I live close the beach here and the fog rolls in most days with my garage open.

Have fun and drive. Interesting thing about driving a brass tourer. We attend many tours and can't remember ONE that we have not been rained on. The dry and sunny San Diego tour even hit us with some heavy sprinkles!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Tuesday, April 28, 2015 - 07:33 pm:

Richard, there's a dozen different products out there and a dozen different opinions on what's best. Do like we all do and just start trying 'em out, but JTS, after doing the "hunt and peck", I ended up back with "Blue Magic" and seem to like it the best, seconded by Prism. I polish about once every 5 weeks or so. I did finally "seal" a lot of the brass on my '12;, '13, & '15 with clear gloss polyurethane, so ask me in a year or so if I did the right thing!! I think I did. Hope so. I did not put it on the radiator. Afraid the heat would cause issues. I'll just keep polishing it every so often.

Do NOT let antifreeze touch it, or you're-rather it- is screwed. Rain and tap water is bad enough!
JMHO

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Wednesday, April 29, 2015 - 01:51 am:

That Blue Magic is what Brassworks uses and I've heard that the Prism has outshined them all according to some here but I've not tried any.

I didn't see where your at but if local here I'll get you a few different samples to try. I've got lots of half empty ones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R. S. Cruickshank on Wednesday, April 29, 2015 - 05:27 am:

It's interesting that some here have mentioned coating the brass. I commented awhile ago that I had taken most of the brass on the 13 to a professional brass polisher and had it coated with band instrument lacquer. You would have thought I had sinned big time by the comments returned to me. Just to let everyone know, the brass still looks great after four years. Band instrument lacquer is very clear and if you think about how people treat band instruments, it is very durable. Just my .02 again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, April 29, 2015 - 07:53 am:

I'm with ya there, R.S. I'd have taken mine to a band instrument polisher but for lack of probably ambition and knowing where to go (shoulda/coulda called the local band director!) I opted for the poly. I think it'll work fine, especially given the fact that 90% of the time these cars are in the barn out of the sun. And Poly is as about as durable as it comes, and super clear and glossy anyway. You absolutely cannot tell it's on there. A fresh quart can of clear gloss poly is great for dipping the brass hub caps in! Boy did they come out nice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, April 29, 2015 - 08:45 am:

When I was in the army in a previous century we all used Brasso. But the Brasso I tried this year was very disappointing stuff. It dried to a film that was very difficult to wipe off. I'm using Prism, which is excellent. It cleans and polishes very well. A little goes a long way, and I expect my six ounce jar will last for years. I tried a polishing experiment, using Prism on all the brass and then following that with a treatment of Cape Cod on the left side lamp and headlamp rim, just to see if the Cape Cod would last any longer. After two months I don't see any difference. Both sides look fine. I tried both Cape Cod and Prism after reading high praise for both of them here on the forum. Both are good, but if I had to choose just one it would be Prism because it works faster.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration