Valve cover gasket leak oil

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Valve cover gasket leak oil
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 09:20 pm:

I had a slight seeping of oil so I replaced my cover gasket 2 days ago on my 27. Cleaned all surfaces , fitted new gasket and tightened...ended up with a few annoying leaks after a road test from the rear corner, the front and a few drips from each bolt, bugger... worse than before.
Should have read some threads first! so yesterday I did the research and decided on a method posted.
I was reluctant to use "Gorilla Snot" the first time but after reading heaps of posts I did the following...

Remove and clean all surfaces
Spread Snot (sparingly, just a film) on the edges of the metal cover then placed gasket on the cover.
Spread Snot onto the inside edges of the gasket
Spread thin film of grease onto the engine block and then attached the cover but only gentle finger tight so metal cover was just resting into the block.
Left it alone for 4 hrs for snot to set
Then I undone one bolt enough to press a blob of snot around the bolt and done back up by hand. Same with the other bolt and then tightened both bolts using a socket on an extension with no ratchet attached just spinning it with my fingers firm but not tight.
i then run a bead of snot along the bottom edge of the metal cover pushing up into the gap and then wiped it all off the edges.
Left over night and took it for a 1.5 hr open road test today and....Perfect!
The pic was taken after the road test.

ps: (Gorilla Snot is what I call clear RTV)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, April 27, 2015 - 10:18 pm:

Ya i just fixed mine today. I punched holes at each end at the bottom to allow the oil to drain back into the valve chamber from between the gasket and cover. You would be surprised how much oil makes it way into that area. I then used some ultra black sealer around both sides of the gasket and put them back on. No sealer around the nuts at the mounting studs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Tuesday, April 28, 2015 - 12:19 pm:

I just did mine with black RTV on both sides of the gasket and the transmission inspection cover door too. This has cut down the oil leaks by 70% to a level I can live with. Now the pedal shaft holes are the biggest leakers and that got me thinking. What if you were to degrease those holes and squeeze a bead of RTV in there? Once dry, the sealant might stay in place while the pedal shafts continue to rotate. It might eliminate most or all of the leaks. RTV is amazing stuff. Any thoughts on this?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Tuesday, April 28, 2015 - 12:41 pm:

Dave, you might be using ULTRA Black by Permatex and calling it RTV but if your not next time you go to buy some at the auto parts store reach over and get the Ultra Black or a color of your choice.

Another Excellent product called The Right Stuff is very similar but sets up quicker so little waiting.
Many of the guys here that want leak free T's have tried it and swear by it. Seems like these have a slightly different mix than the old RTV which makes them stick better to the surfaces.

Like all you need to have the surface super clean of oil and grease.

The trans shaft pedals, One thing you can do is install an O ring with a spring and washer that holds some tension against it. I know your idea of forming a seal around the shaft without a lot of disassembly is your goal and might even work with maybe something like a wrap of teflon tape under the ultra black to allow for rotation. Guess it's worth a try until you have it apart then you can install some O rings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Tuesday, April 28, 2015 - 12:54 pm:

Yes Gene. It is the Ultra Black I'm using.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, April 28, 2015 - 02:05 pm:

Gene what do you use to clean the surfaces? I have always used lacquer thinner but a friend is telling me I should use Goof Off. any thoughts?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Tuesday, April 28, 2015 - 03:20 pm:

Is "Gorilla Snot" one of those technical terms? I just can't keep up with all those new fangled terms.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Wednesday, April 29, 2015 - 01:59 am:

Naptha works good but here in Califuny they call it "industrial maintenance coating thinner" Don't think I'd use the goofy stuff.

I think you ok with the lacquer thinner.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration