24 Touring Car Spark Trouble??

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: 24 Touring Car Spark Trouble??
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brandon Buoniconti on Tuesday, April 28, 2015 - 06:20 am:

So I tested around no power to coil, found a bad wire, repaired the wire car started no problem. I take it on a little drive and shes seems to be down on power. I have made adjustments to mixture on carb and spark still not the same, also when you shut it down and try to restart it has trouble. I parked it for a few hours came back outside to try and drive it down the street and it was even worse barely made it home, the engine is acting like someone is constantly turning the key on and off. I finally made it home and it died in the driveway cant get it to start it will occasionally fire. I removed the carb and cleaned it although it was hardly dirty. I have the distributor conversion with electronic ignition. Any ideas? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Tuesday, April 28, 2015 - 08:03 am:

The Chinese and Mexican made coils are notorious for failing in 50 - 100 miles from new. Suggest you buy a Bosch or Motorcraft coil, made either in the USA or Germany for reliability's sake. Ditto the condenser - you will be walking if you are using a Chinese or Mexico made component.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brandon Buoniconti on Tuesday, April 28, 2015 - 09:51 am:

I bought a brand new coil and installed it in the car still no luck. I am going to test around with my meter and see if the proper voltage is making it to the coil.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, April 28, 2015 - 10:52 am:

Check for burned points in your distributor. If they are, you need to dress or replace them and install a new condenser.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Wednesday, April 29, 2015 - 12:34 am:

"I have the distributor conversion with electronic ignition"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brandon Buoniconti on Wednesday, April 29, 2015 - 08:34 am:

I tested around with my meter, I have a fully charged 6 volt battery I get 6 volts to coil power wire but only 4 volts to the wires on the electronic igniter and only 4 volts across the leads on the coil. So that tells me.....?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Wednesday, April 29, 2015 - 09:43 am:

You might as well be asking how to adjust the pulse width on Corvette fuel injectors on this forum. :-) You might try the OEM and see if they have diagnostics. Just a guess but it may be the pickup module. What type is it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Wednesday, April 29, 2015 - 09:53 am:

Pertronix ignitions are very voltage sensitive, try a new battery or make sure everything else is turned off, I have a 12 volt system and had the same problem. whenever I would apply the brakes the two lights would draw enough that the engine would shut off, when I checked the battery with a volt meter it showed above 12 volts , but when I had it checked it showed as a bad battery, so before you pull your hair out or change a bunch of stuff, take your battery to a place that can check, it make take an hour, Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Wednesday, April 29, 2015 - 09:58 am:

It's a guess but the lower voltage on the terminal of the coil going to the ignitor could be from an internal resistor. Wouldn't be uncommon. Saves on point life. If you had points that is. So OK, you don't mention wether you have spark to the plugs or not. Check that. It sounds electrical but more info please.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, April 29, 2015 - 10:36 am:

Ken Todd,

Oh, I guess he did say that. Thanks.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration