Sooner or Later...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Sooner or Later...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Tuesday, April 28, 2015 - 01:20 pm:

Sooner or later something is gonna break even if you aren't driving like a maniac.

Of course this took out my radiator as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Tuesday, April 28, 2015 - 01:27 pm:

Sorry :-(

Unfortunately the club isn't exclusive. On mine, one blade broke off and was caught by the next blade which of course got bent into the radiator. It all stopped soon thereafter. My radiator was repairable but will never be pretty again on the fan side. Hopefully your radiator can be repaired without a new core.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, April 28, 2015 - 01:36 pm:

Ouch! that reminds me it has been about a year since I checked my fan blade for cracks, well before I drive it again!!!! I hope your radiator is repairable. BUMMER:-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Tuesday, April 28, 2015 - 02:37 pm:

Sad to see. From my experience Model A's are worse mile per mile.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Robison on Tuesday, April 28, 2015 - 03:02 pm:

My suggestion, Remove the fan and don't look back. The only time they are needed is in parades and Model T's don't do parades well anyway.
If you insist on a fan, I recommend this version, Ball bearing hub and a balanced plastic fan. I got this set-up from Antique Auto Ranch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Tuesday, April 28, 2015 - 07:28 pm:

I saw a picture once of a Model A fan blade that went through the hood. Not dented the hood. WENT THROUGH the hood!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Gruber- Spanaway, Wash. on Tuesday, April 28, 2015 - 08:11 pm:

Bummer, John!
I hope your radiator is fixable.
Mine went up into the bottom of the top tank and was easily soldered up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, April 28, 2015 - 08:43 pm:

Oh oh,.....so sorry John. Was wondering how you made out with looking for the "loss of power" on the tudor, but it's now quite obvious that you have "other problems" to be concerned with!

I wonder which is more of a risk regarding a fan blade breaking,.....an old original, possibly fatigued, with "who knows how many miles on it", or, a new but cheapo "repop" that's,....well,.....a cheapo repop,....???

Sometime last summer I think it was, several of us in the club were huddled around an idling "T", discussing some problem or other, when Bill Maxwell sort of nudged me over toward where he was standing, with a warning that I had been standing in line with the spinning fan. Not sure if I ever thanked Bill for that piece of advice, but it's something I'd never considered and it sure made sense! Now, I always make sure I'm NOT in line with the fan when messing around with the hood open on a running engine. Great safety tip,.....thanks Bill Maxwell!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenny Edmondson, Indianapolis on Tuesday, April 28, 2015 - 09:03 pm:

Absolute BS on T's not doing well in parades. If you have a fan and a good radiator the T's will idle or run at any speed without over heating in any temperature for hours. All fans need inspected frequently and the later fans need replaced. I've found a lot of the blades on those cracked. This has been discussed numerous times on the forum.

Everyone needs to do routine inspections and maintenance on their T's. They're are 88 years + old. Treat them that way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Tuesday, April 28, 2015 - 09:15 pm:

Guys on a 27 is it ok to remove the fan belt and leave the fan in place or would it be better to remove everything?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Tuesday, April 28, 2015 - 09:24 pm:

Last summer I heard the "clang" and noticed a new vibration. I finished the tour and the next day found the broken fan. I seriously counted my blessings when I realized the radiator hadn't been touched.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, April 28, 2015 - 10:26 pm:

Kevin, I think it can be useful to have the fan in place, should the need to run a parade or stand still running for a long period ever arise - then it's just to put the old belt back on again :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Tuesday, April 28, 2015 - 11:32 pm:

This post is scareing the hell out of me. I bought a new brassworks radiator for my 15 touring last year and the prospect of a fan blade slicing it open will give me nightmares.

Are cracked fan blades common on the 15 cars? Where do the cracks start, right at the base as John's picture shows? Inspect weekly, monthly ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Wednesday, April 29, 2015 - 12:46 am:

Thanks Roger

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Patrick on Wednesday, April 29, 2015 - 01:02 am:

The corner of the broken blade is bent up on the corner. Did the blade break off as a result of hitting something, or did the bent up corner occur after it broke off while spinning? If the break occurred because it hit something, what did it hit? I can't think of anything that is close enough for it to hit unless you have a water pump that came loose and moved within striking range of the fan, but then that would cause the fan to stop turning due to the loose fan belt. Jim Patrick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, April 29, 2015 - 01:31 am:

A worn out bushing can let the starting crank lean forward, raising the ratchet to where the fan blade hits it. A new bushing cured that.

The fan can also tick against a hose clamp if one of the blades gets bent back. Just straightening the bent blade fixed this.

A slightly longer fan belt would have eliminated both hits, but the next size belt was far too long.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Wednesday, April 29, 2015 - 05:19 am:

Well ...

I do see the S * * T but I see the F A N .... :-)

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Wednesday, April 29, 2015 - 12:21 pm:

The radiator is repairable and at the shop now. We all get to do these things once in awhile and my luck has just decided to turn!

Haven't got back to the loss in power on the Tudor yet but I have time!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Wednesday, April 29, 2015 - 12:30 pm:

John - Sounds like it coulda' been a lot worse! Hope things go well at the rad shop,.....if it develops that you need a "second opinion", Dave Dorning gave me a good "lead" on what appears from my visit with the guy, to be a great shop & "old car" radiator guy over on 112th St.E.,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Wednesday, April 29, 2015 - 07:57 pm:

Harold,

Have used that guy for several years. He fixed the radiator already! He has my "spare" brass rad up there now that has a loose baffle in the upper tank.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Wednesday, April 29, 2015 - 07:58 pm:

Anyone else ever have the fan shaft break? I thought that was pretty weird.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ronald L Babb - Tacoma, WA on Wednesday, April 29, 2015 - 10:58 pm:

No fan shaft break but I have a very nice dent in my hood from a flying fan blade.

Ron

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration