Old Photo - Vehicle Power Unit On The Farm

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Old Photo - Vehicle Power Unit On The Farm
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, April 29, 2015 - 11:24 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, April 29, 2015 - 11:35 am:

I could be wrong but i think that is a hoist to either dump the truck or a wagon!!!!!!!!!!!!Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Semprez-Templeton, CA on Wednesday, April 29, 2015 - 01:26 pm:

A most modern Farm operation, circa 1920. Hay barn on the right, grain or corn in the smaller building on the left.

The big barn is set up with a high door and hay hook to fill the center with loose hay. Most likely a dairy/ milking operation. The conveyer in the center looks like a grain elevator.

We have a similar hay barn on our place, with a milking parlor off to one end.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Wednesday, April 29, 2015 - 02:17 pm:

Kind of looks like the power unit for the elevator is a horse treadmill but it is lower then most and most are on an incline.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Wednesday, April 29, 2015 - 02:51 pm:

That piece of machinery on the left is looking back at us.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, April 29, 2015 - 03:42 pm:

The power must be hit and miss because i doubt if you would run steam inside?? Every now and then you can still see a wagon hoist on small very old farms! JD made most but i'm sure there were others?? Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Wednesday, April 29, 2015 - 04:35 pm:

the looking back is a large hit& miss engine that powered the hole set up.the grain elevator & the host to lift the frt of the truck .charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom VanMeeteren Valley, Nebraska on Wednesday, April 29, 2015 - 06:50 pm:

Charley has it correct. There is a big stationary gas engine on the left with the center pole or hitch pole propted up to get it out of the way for the wagons with grain coming it to be dumped. The engine with the hitch pole indicates that this farmer is still using horses for a lot of his work. I don't know what the eyes are. Date on the barn appears to be 1890. The engine is belted to a pulley and tumbling rod that is then connected to the lower end of the elevator and the rod on the other side goes to the lift for the front wheels of the wagon to be unloaded. The rod on an angle between the elevator and the lift is the control rod to raise and lower the lift with the wagon.

Been there done that, grew up with a setup very similar to this one, only we used an Oliver 70 tractor that both hauled the load and provided the power for the elevator and lift. Brings back a lot of memories of the farm and working with my dad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, April 29, 2015 - 07:51 pm:

Dennis, that sure does look like a pair of eyes doesn't it!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Wednesday, April 29, 2015 - 07:53 pm:

The truck is disgusting.

Why would anyone want a truck like that ?

Must be mental.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Wednesday, April 29, 2015 - 08:06 pm:

Tim i have yet to figure out the eyes.that is the battery box and seat combo maybe it will come to me. maybe jay is messing with us!!!!!!!!!! charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, April 29, 2015 - 08:31 pm:

Remember the old drag racing fuel tanks that said Moon equiped?? Maybe the horse who ran the treadmill turned painter since he was out of work?? Make of engine?? Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Wednesday, April 29, 2015 - 08:36 pm:

I'd like to know more about the truck cab. It looks very similar to mine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, April 29, 2015 - 08:42 pm:

I think the truck/wagons had to be backed into the hoist so grain/corn went in the elevator!! With no slats to be seen either a page wire cribb or a tight grainery?? Spelling optional. Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Wednesday, April 29, 2015 - 08:53 pm:

if you used wagons you would have to unhook the team before lifting.charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, April 29, 2015 - 09:06 pm:

That hatch in the roof show's he was a thinker!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom VanMeeteren Valley, Nebraska on Wednesday, April 29, 2015 - 09:19 pm:

Kenneth, you don't have to back into the unloading area. The hopper on the elevator lifts up so you can drive straight through. Then you drop the hopper and back up the wagon or truck a few inches and lift the unloading door in the back of the wagon and grain starts to drop into the hopper. No slats very simple, he is doing small grain like wheat, oats or flax. Corn needs the slats in the building for proper drying.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, April 29, 2015 - 10:04 pm:

I think/know,i would put a 4x4 down to stop the rear wheels in the right spot every time and forget all that getting in and out! Not my first time-Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Wednesday, April 29, 2015 - 11:19 pm:

it may lift up but you still have to lift the frt of the truck or wagon or the grain wont all come out.charley

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration