OT - another Model K, in Paducah

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT - another Model K, in Paducah
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, April 29, 2015 - 03:26 pm:

Another K, with another prominent family, in Paducah, Kentucky.

A little off on the horsepower:

John Keiler's car is mentioned a few days later:

A few months later, the Model K is scheduled along with other local cars for an upcoming parade:

In September, 1907, a breakdown, due to operator error:

Facebook has nothing over newspaper coverage at the turn of the last century.

The Keiler's, being a prominent family in Paducah, have a box at the local theatre. Below they take in a performance by Jane Corcoran in "Doll House:"

More on the Keiler's and their Model K this evening....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, April 29, 2015 - 03:49 pm:

Mention my name in Paducah,It's the greatest little town in the world!! Bud,But i'm not telling where i am!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Wednesday, April 29, 2015 - 04:21 pm:

Bud - Aren't you in W------, MI?

Just wondering..... :-)

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, April 29, 2015 - 05:58 pm:

Keith,I've got a gal there who is a old friend of mine,She was Miss Paducah back in 1909,So mention my name in Paducah and if your in a jam,I say mention my name,mention my name,But please don't tell them where i a'm!!!!!!!!!!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Wednesday, April 29, 2015 - 06:02 pm:

Bud,

It must be really bad, if you can't let folks in Paducah know where you are. Is that why you grew the beard?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, April 29, 2015 - 07:06 pm:

Bud, you certainly get around......

As it turns out, John Keiler and his brother-in-law, Joseph Friedman, were business partners. One of their most successful businesses, purchased in 1899, is still in business today:

The brothers bought and operated several distilleries, including Early Times and Brook Hill:

It also turns out, the brothers-in-law were Jewish, members of a thriving Paducah Jewish community at the turn of the last century.

The Keiler's again entertained guests in their theatre box in April, 1908, taking in a performance of the well known star, Lilian Russell:

The question I suspect you are asking, "do they still have their Model K?"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, April 29, 2015 - 07:21 pm:

Yup,That's her!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm sorry to say she said if i was to be within striking distance i would have to grow a beard!!!! The Everly Brothers recorded the song long long ago!! Bud back in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, April 29, 2015 - 07:36 pm:

"1881 film" ???????????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, April 29, 2015 - 08:00 pm:

Wayne, I suspect they made a mistake. This "Des Moines Register" reported the following about the Iowa native:

She doesn't look as svelte as the other pic. Bud, how do you remember her?

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Wednesday, April 29, 2015 - 08:10 pm:

Here's a picture of Bud in his first starring role in The Great Train Robbery of 1903.

bud

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, April 29, 2015 - 08:20 pm:

Yup,and everyone thought it was a fibb when i told i cleaned up after Grant's horse when i was in the army! I don't remember Miss Russell only the stick all my dates carried!! Wheeler Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Wednesday, April 29, 2015 - 10:08 pm:

By August of 1909, John Keiler advertises for a lost monogramed matchbox. The Keiler's have taken trips abroad, lengthy vacations, and are generally living a life of privilege:

And, after two and a half years, they advertise their "Ford six" for sale in September, 1909:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 12:13 am:

Yeah, I know the "1881 film" was an error. Mostly my way of letting you know that I am still reading!
It is interesting to realize that histories and biographies are now often being written by people that do not understand historic timelines? So many people today just assume that the modern world and all its conveniences has simply always been here. Most people have no clue.
Do drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 09:36 am:

It's difficult (for me anyway) to gain perspective on what life was like for the folks who owned our cars when they were new. The brother in law, J. Friedman, died unexpectedly in 1912 of Brights Disease. Not exactly "the good old days" when health and mortality issues are considered.

Another reminder that it's still the south at the turn of the last century. The Keller's receive a couple of threatening letters in 1910. It turns out the perpetrator is the child of one of the family servants:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison- PA on Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 12:54 pm:

I think the photo above (7:06PM) is of Alice Faye playing Lillian Russel in the 1940 bio pic.

Phil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 02:31 pm:

Phil,
I think you may be right. When I looked at the other pics and description (later), the "real" Lilian Russell looked a bit more "curvaceous" (rotund) and the first pic seems a little glossy for the late 1800/early 1900 s. it sounds as though Ms. Russel was the first of the platinum blondes along the lines of Mae West, etc. etc..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison- PA on Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 05:33 pm:

Yes. Here's the real deal:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 10:02 pm:

I think you have it. Singing:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3UXN2UM_cwo

Before Dolly Parton, there was Miss Russell:

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration