New head gaskets and Z head

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: New head gaskets and Z head
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Wednesday, April 29, 2015 - 03:41 pm:

I saw on the silicone head gasket where they say they will not work on a Z head. Never have seen why. Why? Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Woods, Richmond, Texas on Wednesday, April 29, 2015 - 04:39 pm:

I can't even get them to seal on an iron head, much less an aluminum one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, April 29, 2015 - 04:58 pm:

Well, first off, they don't work or at least not for long, so that part is true enough. I suspect that the thermal expansion/contraction of the aluminum head against the cast iron block is the reason. The repeated relative movement must wear away at the sili gasket.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, April 29, 2015 - 05:21 pm:

Correct

The silicone is just bead like silicone sealed to the steel core of the gasket. Instructions say don't add additional copper coat or other gasket sealer.

Note the red lines, that is only the place where the silicon lays on the gasket faces. Not too tacky :-)

High compression heads need copper gaskets coated with copper coat sealer.

High compression heads need copper sandwich gaskets coated with copper coat sealer. And be sure to seat (torque) the center line head bolts first and work out and around the perimeter of the cylinder head, the center is where the gasket is most thin at the combustion chambers.

You can see no red silicon around the combustion chamber areas on that silicone high price head gasket.

Here is a busted head gasket off a high compression head, note the finger pointing at where the gasket blew out, right where it is most thin in width.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eubanks, Powell, TN on Wednesday, April 29, 2015 - 05:57 pm:

Good advice and the copper gaskets can be used over in a pinch! If you have ever torn down a flathead v8 with composition gaskets, you would never use anything except copper or steel and it coated with copper coat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Wednesday, April 29, 2015 - 10:21 pm:

Yes Jim, I had success one time using a gasket again for the third time. Was in a pinch but it worked until the next tear down. Lots of copper coat and proper torquing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 01:22 am:

I ordered a silicone gasket just after I bought my car for a spare to have on hand & lately I discovered I have a Z head....bugger

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Moorehead on Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 04:56 pm:

I thought I read where the silicone gasket was not recommended by the folks who make the Z head?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Weeds on Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 05:20 pm:

Being new to the game in March I didn't realise I had a Z head on my car until after my first order of spares. Never mind it will still get me home on a run if I get caught.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration