TW timer

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: TW timer
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By joe bell on Wednesday, April 29, 2015 - 09:43 pm:

Well I finally installed my new timer I bought last fall. I got in the mood when a friend came over and we went for a ride in his car and could not believe how smooth it was. So I decided to get ours out this eve and change the timer, I have been running the old style new day for years and have loved them. Well I have to admit this one is better! I told Tony when I bought it I would either cuss him or praise him, well here is to you Tony, Thanks Job well done!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Wednesday, April 29, 2015 - 09:49 pm:

Good to here it's working so well Joe. Has anyone compared the smooth running of this timer to an Anderson? Is it worth switching to?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Wednesday, April 29, 2015 - 10:13 pm:

Actually, I found the answer to my own question here. http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/437853.html?1398170956

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 08:32 am:

Dave, trust me, it's worth it! I will have to admit my first one had a few "growing pain glitches" of which Tony took care of with the "new and improved" version, it's back on the '15 & I put on on my '13 and will soon be getting another one for the '12 when it's back from Joe's!! With that little "wire thingy" for the cap install now, you can pop it on in a matter of seconds.
Should only have to remove it once a year to wipe it out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 12:27 pm:

Get one! Mine has been working flawlessly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - Melbourne Florida on Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 12:38 pm:

Iv run the TW for about a year now and like it BUT. There is a big draw back on it though. My seal tends to seep just a little oil. When enough oil gets through it shorts out the carbon brush allowing a electrical contact to follow the oil film and thus making the inside of the timer one large contact and doesn't let the timer do its job. I have to take mine apart every couple of weeks to clean it depending on how much driving I do. In time Im going to switch back to a roller timer for this reason. The roller timer doesn't mind if a little oil gets on it where as oil will make the TW useless. So make sure your seal is doing its job or the TW will fail.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 09:15 pm:

Thanks guys, I think I will order a TW timer. I now have my own Strobospark tester so I've become a tad obsessed with making the car run perfectly. It's running very well but, I bet the Anderson timer is holding it back some. It would be good to carry it as a spare like many of you do. As for oil leakage in the timer, I don't recall having that problem but will check on it. I am always doing maintenance on my car so cleaning the timer once in a while will be fine with me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Floyd Voie - Chehalis, Washington on Friday, May 01, 2015 - 01:03 am:

Dave,
The TW timer instructions say to use a modern seal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Friday, May 01, 2015 - 07:15 am:

Personally, I'd go through the hassle of replacing the seal with a modern one. Then I would ditch the old timer and stay with the TW one. I have one on my car and wouldn't go any other way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Kuhnash Southeastern Ohio on Friday, May 01, 2015 - 08:13 am:

I have had the same problem as Will. Tony has gone above and beyond helping me out. I have a new seal but it leaks a bit, not always but enough after a few hundred miles that there is quite a bit of oil in the timer housing. The old New Day Timers had a hole drilled in the bottom, I may try another TW timer, they run so well, but I think the next time I will drill a hole in the bottom to let the oil drip out.
greg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Kramer on Friday, May 01, 2015 - 08:19 am:

Tony's timer vastly improved the smoothness of my 27 pickup. I had a new Anderson and would highly recommend a TW timer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By harold lee cartwright on Friday, May 01, 2015 - 08:43 am:

where is the tw timers sold don't see any in supply books

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, May 01, 2015 - 09:00 am:

http://www.twcomponents.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, May 01, 2015 - 09:31 am:

Langs sells them listed as a carbon brush timer Langs no.3221CB in their 2014 catalogue. TW components advertises them as The Accurate Model T Timer.

I am assuming its the same timer they are advertising since it looks to be the same going by the brush assembly. Or is it another copy??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Friday, May 01, 2015 - 09:54 am:

It is the TW. Says so in the description.

https://www.modeltford.com/item/3221CB.aspx

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer on Friday, May 01, 2015 - 12:23 pm:

HI ; Can anyone tell me how long [miles] you can do with a carbon brush before you need a new one?Are the brushes available ?
Toon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, May 01, 2015 - 08:56 pm:

Harold, I know Snyders sells them, as well as directly from Tony. Same price. John, same timer!
Tony, can't say for sure how many miles it'll go, but I'd bet a good 10 thousand and yes, Tony has spare brushes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Michael Rogers on Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 07:23 am:

Toon, the ad says to expect 5000 miles with occasional cleaning to remove carbon dust.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ronald L Babb - Tacoma, WA on Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 11:24 am:

After reading this thread I ordered mine on Thursday from Dave Chaffin at Chaffin's Garage. It is their catalog number 3221BT, "Brush Type Timer."

Ron

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 09:42 am:

I also caved in and ordered mine from Snyder's. I figure if it runs better, it will pay for itself in saved gas and I met Tony Wiltshire once, he seems like a good guy so what the heck :-). I checked and to my surprise, there's no oil leakage at my cam seal. My car is running really smooth with my Anderson timer but I'm so intrigued about the fact it might run even better. I wll be sure to post the results when I install it. Ronald, it would be great to here from you as well and anyone else here who will be getting a new TW.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Tuesday, May 12, 2015 - 09:23 pm:

My TW timer arrived and I removed my Anderson and installed it. Installation was as easy as one could expect. Switching from an Anderson meant that a significant timing adjustment was required which also went well. Like everyone says, the engine runs smoother and starts easier too. When warm, I can now get never ending free starts. The best thing is a bit more power as every bit helps when 20 hp is all you have. When you really think about how this timer works compared to a roller or an Anderson, it's no surprise.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Tuesday, May 12, 2015 - 10:17 pm:

Dave, i also switched over from an Anderson to a TW not that long ago, what did you have to adjust on the timing? I didn't change anything.

(Message edited by Jp_noonan on May 12, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Tuesday, May 12, 2015 - 11:37 pm:

John, I recall the Anderson instructions called for a major timing adjustment. When I installed the TW, it was way too far advanced.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Tuesday, May 12, 2015 - 11:55 pm:

Thanks Dave, i wasn't sure about the adjustments.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnH on Wednesday, May 13, 2015 - 12:26 am:

I also found the TW to be more advanced than the Anderson I was using previously.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Wednesday, May 13, 2015 - 09:32 am:

As a matter of common sense, every installation of a new timer, no matter what manufacture, has to be initially set as to the manufacturers instruction.

Comparing advance/retard timing between different manufactured timers is the same as comparing apples & oranges.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mario Brossard on Wednesday, May 13, 2015 - 11:04 am:

Gentlemen, I'm new in model T world and I appreciate really well all advice. I learn so much just reading comments like this. I experienced the Anderson timer and my engine doesn't working well with no Mather the all adjustment I made. This timer is so close to the belt. I reinstalled the old timer with a new brush and it is working much better. But I will try the TW for sure. I just ordered one and I will let you know my experience with it.

Cheers,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, May 13, 2015 - 12:30 pm:

Mario,

When the belt runs close to the timer, it's usually because the belt is too long.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Wednesday, May 13, 2015 - 06:46 pm:

I had never used a timer so I bought a Anderson from Frank Fenton and it ran good, no problem, then someone recommended the TW so I put that on, I was on a tour in OK last summer and someone asked to see it so I loosened the clamp and pulled the cover out and the carbon brush and spring came out so fast it disappeared, it is probably still in orbit, we looked everywhere for it and finally put the Anderson back on, I have a new brush but have not installed it yet, but I did not notice a difference. Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Wednesday, May 13, 2015 - 11:25 pm:

I wonder if anyone knows of a quick and simple way to know which way the brush is pointing when you take the timer cover off. I suppose one way would be to remove the coil box cover to see which coil is buzzing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Thursday, May 14, 2015 - 05:02 pm:

After installing the TW timer on '14 and using the timing indicator provided by Tony to set it exactly at 15 past TDC, the timer is almost perfectly at the 12 o'clock position. This sure looks like it's too far advanced but it's set correctly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By doug hauge upstate NY stittville 13469 on Friday, May 15, 2015 - 11:43 am:

I have 8 tw timers in my model Ts. just love them. I was running Anderson times but kept wearing them out, even when packed with greese. so I converted a couple of my ts then as I found they are fantastic, I have kept buying them and putting them in my ts. I have 8 installed now and still have 5 more to go. tony is a great timer producer. and a good friend. I still have not worn out a brush yet, but do carry a spare just in case if a problem. best timer on the market! by far. great job tony!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, May 15, 2015 - 12:37 pm:

No need to remove the coil box cover, Dave. Just grab each plug wire. The one that tickles....that's the one that's firing.:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, May 15, 2015 - 02:50 pm:

Dave - Rather than struggling with the coil box cover, wouldn't it be quicker and easier to just short out spark plugs to the engine block with a screwdriver to see which plug is firing? Just a thought,....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, May 15, 2015 - 02:51 pm:

Hal - You beat me to it! (but I still like my method better!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Friday, May 15, 2015 - 06:27 pm:

Hal, been there already which is why I like Harold's suggestion better :-). Doug, I now carry my Anderson as a spare. I just noticed it also has noticeable wear. With my TW, it is one free start after another. It's gotten to the point that I have to start on mag if I want to demonstrate crank starting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Velling, Germany on Monday, May 18, 2015 - 03:48 pm:

Where is it possible to order a new carbon brush and after how many miles have you to replace it? Or is it better to replace always the whole timer?

Michael

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Monday, May 18, 2015 - 04:35 pm:

I tried to order a TW Timer from Tony today and he is out of stock. He expects to get more in about 2 weeks.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, May 18, 2015 - 07:17 pm:

Michael -- Order directly from Tony, who makes them.

http://www.twcomponents.com/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Tuesday, May 19, 2015 - 08:20 pm:

You can check with Snyder's. They had them in stock a week ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Velling, Germany on Wednesday, May 20, 2015 - 01:24 pm:

I have ordered one from Histoparts in Netherland. Will hope to get it this week.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenny Edmondson, Indianapolis on Wednesday, May 20, 2015 - 02:01 pm:

Michael, I'm still running the same brush that I started with on the original prototype that I built. I marked the brush at the half way point and it's not worn there yet. I've been running the prototype for 5 years now. The brush that Tony uses is a little different, so it may wear faster or slower. Main thing is to clean the inside occasionally and keep an eye on the length to where is doesn't get too short. Tony should have extra brushes if needed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Velling, Germany on Sunday, May 24, 2015 - 03:49 pm:

I gave got it after one day. The people of histoparts are great. Thanks a lot for the service.

Put it in the car on friday, made a testride...fine.

Today we did a ride around the lower rhine area and the netherlands. About 170 km / 105 miles with sun and some stops at the cafes.

At the last stop we bought some hertog jan beer (arcen in netherland)....very fine.....

The tw timer all the time works fine. Smooth and fine running.

Michael

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, May 24, 2015 - 08:30 pm:

"Today we did a ride around the lower Rhine area and the Netherlands."

And here I get excited about driving our great Model T roads here in the Ozarks! :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration