The Rip Van Winkle Ford rides again

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: The Rip Van Winkle Ford rides again
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 01:12 am:

Today the rip van winkle ford was started up and driven. pictured are Larry Smith, Randy Witz and Don Skille in the rip Ford. This car is a real pleasure to drive. Its smooth, quite and almost silent in reverse!.Its just like going back in time to 1917 and taking a test drive in a brand new Ford!I wish Bruce McCalley were here, he would have love a chance to drive this car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 01:35 am:

What can I say? But, Wow! That car is incredible. I have never seen the car in person myself. However I have known several people that have seen it and I have heard a lot about it.
Just fantastic!
(What is the total mileage up to now?)
Drive carefully, and enjoy! W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Skille on Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 02:04 am:

It was a once in a life time chance to drive a new Model T. Thanks for the opportunity Kim.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 02:11 am:

It would be nice to have new high resolution photos showing all the details. Most of the old pictures don't do it justice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 02:17 am:

In 97 tin the vintage ford there a sister car 17 touring i found and got running and only put bands tire and top on this car was documented as well was driven very little and parked in a barn in 1935 sat until 96 when i got it
Car last resided near Alturis CA in a private collection
Although my car had according to the documentation/ family history still had less then 800 miles on it never left the county in nevada in witch it was sold new i had dealer recieot and tge last plates and registration car was put in barn when orginal owner died
Car was whisper quiet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 03:35 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 06:54 am:

The car needs to be carefully preserved for future generations. Thanks Kim!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom VanMeeteren Valley, Nebraska on Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 07:44 am:

I wish Randy Witz would return my distributor cap that he "borrowed" to reproduce it. Met him at Chickasha 4 years ago. Phone calls and emails go unanswered for the last 4 years. What a great guy!!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 08:18 am:

That's good news, Kim! Thanks for sharing it with us. It's good to see the old girl out stretching her legs. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 09:13 am:

Kim,

Thanks for posting the update. As Steve mentioned new photos would be great.

Also, did you happen to see the body number on the right front floor board riser? The photo in "Vintage Ford" and Bruce's book shows a number is stamped there but it isn't clear enough to read the number.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 09:40 am:

Where is the Rip car now housed?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 10:09 am:

Pretty cool car to see and drive. I find it interesting that both spark and throttle springs have lost their tension, and as a result they don't stay in place. It appears they dropped the adjustable throttle shaft end by 1917. There are so many things to tell, I could write two or three pages on this car. I feel blessed that I was able to be a small part of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 10:11 am:

For all of us who are not "in the know", it would be great to hear about who owns it, where it resides, who maintains it, and how often it gets out to stretch its legs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 10:31 am:

Ditto

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 10:54 am:

Kim Dobbins is the current owner. He has an offer on the car, so it probably won't be in his possession for long.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 12:30 pm:

Larry - You said you could write two or three pages on this car... Please do it! And take lots and lots of pictures. We all need to see every detail on this very unique, one-of-a-kind car. Also, like Wayne said above, what is the current mileage on it?

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 12:35 pm:

Hopefully that car will never be altered in any way. I don't think I'd even put bronze thrust washers or safety glass in a car like that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sean Butler Huntington Beach, CA on Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 12:59 pm:

Awesome Kim. Thanks for posting!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Matheny on Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 01:41 pm:

Like, thanks for posting...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 01:49 pm:

Wow- what is the backstory on the car? I may have missed the discussion.

Thanks,
Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 02:36 pm:

I bought the car from the Holthaus family who were the 4 th owners of the car. I'll talk to jay about a current article on the car or I'll at least make a cd of pictures available. I haven't changed anything on the car and will not. I don't intent to keep the car, it needs to be in a climate controlled environment where it can be seen. The temptation to drive the car is to great! Current milage on the car is 199. This a truly important piece of history. Driving this car was a once in a life time opportunity.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 02:44 pm:

Kim - Thanks for the update. Wow, 199 miles!

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 02:55 pm:

Gee, there was what, only 27 miles on it when found? Pretty soon it's just gonna be a used car! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 03:09 pm:

Jim, this is the 1917 Model T that was famously put up on blocks soon after it came from the dealer. I gather there has been some deterioration of paint and upholstery over time, but it's essentially a new 1917 Ford. See the story beginning on page 232 in Bruce's encyclopedia.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 05:08 pm:

Kim,

Glad to see it running again ...

Hope you keep the Manx Towd

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 05:34 pm:

So is this the newest NOS Model T in existence regardless of the year?

Just wondering.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Howard on Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 05:43 pm:

Wonderful. What a privilege to be able to take a turn behind the wheel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 07:26 pm:

James C. -- There is a lengthy article about the car in Bruce McCalley's book, "Model T Ford -- The Car that Changed the World." That's how most of us know about it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tony Bowker, Ramona, CA on Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 08:04 pm:

When it was found it had 26 miles on the odometer. Even that was more than the owner drove it as some kids borrowed the car when it had only 13 miles and they went for a joy ride, probably until it ran out of gas. The owner licensed it ever year from 1917 to 1940 so when car dealers came round, he could say he already had one.
When it was discovered by Bruce (and others) it still had original air in a couple of the tires....
The article was in The Vintage Ford and the Encyclopedia.
When the Holthaus family showed it at Bakersfield the mileage was about 108....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 09:03 pm:

Oh sure I know this car! I have drooled over it and wondered where it went all these years since I sought in Bruce's book the first time. Fantastic that it hasn't been molested or change after all this time. Great to see it and I agree with Steve's request definitely needs to be documented with high razz pictures all over and from every angle. It is a treasure trove of information.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 11:41 pm:

Kim thats what i did with mine sold it to a guy who saw same thing and sold it to a guy who will maintain it for its historical value idrove the T and saw it was falling apart and didnt want a museum piece

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Friday, May 01, 2015 - 12:24 am:

Was the original air in the tires Ford script?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, May 01, 2015 - 02:07 am:

Did someone say "Build a speedster" ? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Cook, Geneva,NSW Australia on Friday, May 01, 2015 - 11:43 pm:

Love to see this car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 08:51 am:

This is great, but, last I read in Bruce's book, the whereabouts if this car were unknown, at that time. I'd love to know how and where it was found, by whom, etc. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles W. Little South Paris, Maine on Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 08:56 am:

Larry,

Ford didn't start labelling air until around 1919!

Charlie

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 04:16 pm:

Marty, Daniel Holthaus contacted Russ Princeton, son of the long time owner E.R. Princeton, and information Russ supplied led Daniel to Don Whipple of Fresno, CA. Don had bought the car at auction. Daniel bought the car from Mr Whipple still with 26 miles on it. I bought it from the Holthaus family.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Saturday, May 09, 2015 - 11:37 am:

Ah! Thanks, Kim!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Saturday, May 09, 2015 - 01:34 pm:

Hey Kim, I sure didn't know you were the lucky owner of the Rip van Winkle touring! Was that T on the 2004 Kerrville, TX national tour? There was an original '17 touring with oval top sockets and riveted lower windshield/cowl lamp brackets. I spent hours looking over that touring. Was that the R v W?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Saturday, May 09, 2015 - 05:02 pm:

Hi George, no that was not the rvw ford. It's been here in California for quite a number of years now. It looks like it will be going into a climate controlled museum in the north east.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Saturday, May 09, 2015 - 05:15 pm:

There were two unrestored 1917 tourings at the 2004 Kerrville Model T tour. One was owned by Bud Scudder. The other had previously been owned by Bud Scudder, but at the time was owned by Bryan Ostergren. Both of the cars were found by Bud in Kentucky wearing much of their original paint and some original upholstery.

Bud had a tough time on that tour with no top. It poured rain on two days of the tour, soaking the wood coil box parts so badly that Bud could not get the car to run at one point. He also blew the head gasket on a sunny day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Saturday, May 09, 2015 - 08:21 pm:

Kim,

Should be picking up the other car Dan bought from you in a couple weeks - see you then ...

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Brancato on Sunday, May 10, 2015 - 04:10 pm:

Unless I missed it, shouldn't this be a featured article in an upcoming issue of Vintage?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Page on Sunday, May 10, 2015 - 05:16 pm:

Without checking my past issues I believe the story of the car has been in the Vintage Ford twice.

Regards, John Page, Australia.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Page on Sunday, May 10, 2015 - 05:23 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Page on Sunday, May 10, 2015 - 05:26 pm:

The story is also repeated in Bruce's Book .

" Model T Ford the Car that Changed the World "

Regards, John Page, Australia

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Sunday, May 10, 2015 - 05:28 pm:

A short blurb and some updated photos would be great.

It would be interesting to see how another 40 years treated that car since that article was written.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Sunday, May 10, 2015 - 06:34 pm:

I have suggested to jay that an update with some new pictures might be in order.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Brancato on Sunday, May 10, 2015 - 10:06 pm:

Yes, that's what I was thinking... an updated version of the story with the latest events.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Monday, May 11, 2015 - 09:56 pm:

Yes the issue RVW car and in 97 tge car i found was featured

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Tuesday, May 12, 2015 - 09:31 am:

Nice to know it's still around. I remember reading about it in Bruce's book years ago but I didn't know if it was "found" at that time. Did it drop off the radar for a while?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Tuesday, May 12, 2015 - 12:27 pm:

Most likely the article in Bruces book is a copy of what was in the Vintage Ford.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, May 12, 2015 - 01:53 pm:

Color pictures would show the actual condition much better than the black and white pictures in Bruce's book.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration