Men's Clothing

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Men's Clothing
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 01:25 am:

M.G. Hillhouse: I will try to post a couple pictures from the 1913 catalog that you asked for.
If they will post you will see that as far as I can see there is not much change from today. They do tend to have more VESTS. And of coarse they mostly have a tall stiff shirt collar.

mens dress 1

mens dress 2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By M G Hillhouse on Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 10:15 am:

Dave thank you. Very stylish!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 10:45 am:

Thank's for posting this Dave. IMHO men's clothing, as styles progressed through the 20th century, are a great barometer of social values. A hundred years ago men wore suits and ties, even to such functions as picnics. As the years passed, the standards "relaxed", and eventually almost disappeared. It seems that the standard of today means casual is jeans with holes, casual dressy is jeans without holes, and dressy is new jeans.

I can remember my parents getting ready to attend one function or another in the 1950's. My dad's suit, tie and socks, shoes and belt matched. Not only was everything pressed, the trouser seams had to be crisp. And so on. Today when I apply those standards to myself for a wedding, a funeral, or some other dressy function I usually feel overdressed and out of place.

I guess my point is that I believe dressing properly is a sign of respect for the host and/or family as well as yourself that is now largely overlooked.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 10:53 am:

Depended a lot upon who you were. My dad owned a small furniture business and he wore the old suit to work and an old dress shirt and old suit pants when he worked at the machines, painted, or made deliveries. When we visited my aunt and uncle dad wore his "good" suit and we all wore our best clothes. However my uncle was an attorney and wore his "good" suits to work. When he got home he wore casual clothes which consisted of open neck sports shirt and slacks. So whenever we visited them our family dressed up and he dressed down. In our family there were only "good" clothes and "old" clothes. I wore the "good" ones to school and changed into the "old" ones at home. They were the same clothes except for age. The "old" ones were either small for me or patched.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 11:26 am:

I came up in a world that we had;
School cloths
Sunday cloths
Everyday cloths
Sometimes the line between School and Everyday got blurred.
Some where around the 70's it became less important what we wore but more important the fact that we were there for Church, School and Family (doesn't mean we dressed bad). Tie's became a Wedding/Funeral or very special event item. Tweed jacket and slacks at most, jeans more often then not.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willie K Cordes on Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 11:52 am:

Dress cloths are almost a thing of the past in my rural Texas world. Blue Jeans and a nice shirt (no tie) are worn by a lot of men at funerals and weddings. I stay away from the church except for funerals and weddings and than the above blue jeans and shirt are worn.
I even drive my model T cars in blue jeans.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 12:53 pm:

That's fine but, what about short fat guys? Where are the fashions for the waist and height challenged?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 01:35 pm:

Well this short fat guy wears bibbs and i went to one funeral in them! I never wore them before but after 52 Radiation treatments i love my bibbs!! My brake line rusted out on the 1999 F=250 so the 100 year old Ford did the work this morning. Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration