Which Front Hubs are Correct for a 1915 Model T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Which Front Hubs are Correct for a 1915 Model T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 08:10 am:

Which front hubs are correct for a 1915 Model T? Do they have the narrow band just behind the hubcap? Is one supposed to have the ring outside the inner bearing for a speedometer gear? I'm getting ready to have a set re-wooded and would like to make sure I install the correct hubs.

I learn something new about every day from this forum. I appreciate the people who contribute with what they have found to be correct on their cars.
Thanks!!!
Verne Shirk
Wichita, KS

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 08:23 am:

Verne, my '15 Touring has the narrow band behind the hubcap, but I don't have a speedo so I can't help you there. Seemed to me by then speedometers were optional equipment by '15 so it's doubtful that they all would have. Obviously mine has no such ring. Nice looking runabout there!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 09:05 am:

Verne

Here are picture to help. Courtesy of Royce Peterson.

1915 on right, long threaded area for hub cap, 3 holes drilled to mount speedometer road gear, and recess machined on inside of hub for that road gear to fit flush.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles W. Little South Paris, Maine on Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 09:29 am:

According to the MTFCI Judging Guidelines, speedometers became a factory supplied option beginning Oct/Nov 1914. However, as stated above, the hubs continued to be the early type, capable of accepting the speedometer gear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 09:33 am:

Verne, your car is almost a twin of mine. I've been studying front hubs for some new wheels too. There are a few easy ID clues.

This is the hub used from 3-14-17 to 6-25-18, but it has two of the clues you're after. That's the raised ring, which supports the speedometer gear, and the three holes for speedometer gear screws. The speedometer was dropped for 1915, but the ring and the holes remained.

How do you know if a hub is this 17-18 or 14-16? The encyclopedia says: HERE IS THE BIG DATE 3-14-17 On this date they Redesigned the small end changing the depth of the pocket for the ball race from 19/32 to 3/4 Distance between end of shoulder which supports the spokes and end of hub from 1- 25/32 to 1-15/16. Over all length from 5-3/32 to 5-1/4. So the outer bearing pocket will be 19/32" deep and the overall length 5-3/32".

All these hubs used ball bearings, which didn't need outer notches for driving them out. The inner removal notches weren't as deep as the later ones for Timkens. When Ford changed to roller bearings in 1919, outer notches were added. As far as I know, there's no way to remove a Timken cup from a ball bearing hub without destroying it. If the cup is good and you want to reuse it, too bad. So I used a die grinder to deepen the inner notches and add outer ones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 10:56 am:

I've seen hubs with the flange for the speedometer gear AND the later style hub.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Friday, May 01, 2015 - 08:02 am:

Thanks all!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Henrichs on Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 09:56 am:

I have another question. The machined and tapped hub was used to mount the small gear setup for the Ford Special speedometer setup on the right front. Was the same machined/tapped hub used on the left front wheel also or a plain hub used on that side in 1915?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 11:00 am:

I've seen them on both sides.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 11:12 am:

Larry is correct - both front hubs match one another. Also, the 1915 hubs do not have the marking "Ford", they have a cartouche from the maker of the hub.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Henrichs on Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 01:27 pm:

Larry & Royce -- thank you. I know you guys would have the answer. In all my "T" years I had never seen a really original 1915. I figured that Ford probably wouldn't machine the one hub and not the other but couldn't confirm it. Now have to check my "stash" and make sure I have 2 matching ones. :-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration