'24 Fender bracket

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: '24 Fender bracket
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 07:41 pm:

How do you tell if a bracket is a right or left one?
Also, I asked this before but no response. Is there any way to tell if a fender iron is bent up or down? I am thinking a measurment from the top of the iron to a line projected from across the bottom of the frame rails.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Journey on Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 08:48 pm:

That's a great question Gary. I didn't know there was a difference between left and right brackets. I guess that I assumed since Henry was so frugal that they would be the same.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 08:53 pm:

My 1928 parts book shows a single part number, 4809, for both the LH and RH front fender brackets up through 1925.

Can't help you as far as how to determine if a bracket has any sag in it, perhaps a more senior member has a way to tell?

:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 09:06 pm:

I suppose you could use the bracket on either side except the orientation of the eye bolt holding the iron would be reversed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Henrichs on Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 09:16 pm:

All of the front brackets I have look the same (right or left) that I removed from various frames. Earlier brackets (brass era) were cast different but also no rights or lefts. I don't have or ever have seen any dimensional drawings as to rise in height from the frame. What I did some years ago was take 20 brackets and clamp them in a row on a straight frame rail. I then took an accurate long straight edge and placed it on the top fender support end of all the brackets at the same time. 6 were the highest and matched within 1/8". I figured these had not been abused or bent down and represented the original factory height. I "persuaded" the others in to the same position and used the nicest pair for my project. Worked for me--both fenders sat very evenly looking at the front of the car. They also matched the radius of the wheel/tire from the side nicely. Shade tree fix but worked for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 11:05 pm:

I think there is some confusion here (and often on Ebay) between "Irons" and "Brackets. The right and left "brackets" (P/N T4852-U I believe) that I am referring to are fastened to the underside of the fenders with rivets. The "Irons" are mounted to the frame and connect to the "brackets" with eye bolts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 11:27 pm:

Gary,that is not what your drawing shows? Your drawing shows a fender iron. The brackets that are riveted into the fenders are side specific. They will only fit right or left.HTH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 11:29 pm:

These sketches with dimensions should help you.

Center line of front fender bracket in this sketch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Friday, May 01, 2015 - 12:27 am:

Yeah, but the eye bolt is part of the fender, not the fender iron. There are subtle differences in those later fender irons, so make sure you have a matched pair.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Friday, May 01, 2015 - 12:32 am:

There are differences in eye bolts too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary H. White - Sheridan, MI on Friday, May 01, 2015 - 11:03 am:

Jack, Sorry for the confusion. It was a two part question. (1st.) Are there right and left fender brackets? You state they are side specific. Thanks. Now, how can I determine which is which? With the bracket mounted, do the slots for the irons face front or back? (and 2nd) Can it be determined if fender irons are bent up or down? The reason for my sketch.

Larry, Yes, the eye bolt is part of the fender/bracket assembly. I'll check to make sure the irons match.

Dan, Thanks. That should help. The 10 5/16" from the top of the frame to the top of the fender gives me a reference to work with.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Friday, May 01, 2015 - 04:03 pm:

Slots on front,face front.Rears face rear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Willard Revaz on Friday, May 01, 2015 - 05:00 pm:

The bracket is a forging and if one seems a bit lower/higher than the other, just bend it. No fears of snapping here. I use a big stillson/pipe wrench.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration