Front cross members car vs TT

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Front cross members car vs TT
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 09:34 pm:

There has been some discussion in the classifieds about the front cross members being different on the TT than the cars. I was not aware of the difference. A member is trying to find a TT cross member is what started the discussion. I just acquired 3 NOS cross members and I want to make sure I am selling the proper one. I did some mock up today of the 2 different ones I have. I believe the difference was described as being less arch in the TT than the car. The first three pics show my NOS "Car" cross member clamped in place on a stock car chassis. I compared it to an early cast running board bracket chassis and a later pressed steel running board bracket chassis. It is obvious that the one I labeled as "car is the same as both early and late chassis.

the next two pics show the TT labeled cross member clamped in place on the car chassis. It is obvious that it is less of an arch by aprox 1/2 to 9/16 inch difference.

All three of my NOS cross members were "FORD" script.

The next two pics show the cross members being measured sitting upside down on a flat surface. The car measurement is 5 inches and the TT measurement is 4-7/16. There can be about 1/16 inch plus or minus to all my measurements as the cross members are not perfect stampings. They vary a slight amount and the bolt holes have quite a bit of "burrs" around the holes from a dull drill. I bet there was a certain amount of hand fitting to them when the frames were assembled at the factory ... I believe what I am showing to be correct, but if Im wrong on any of it please correct me on it .. I just thought since I had some NOS cross members to compare, I needed to do it before I sold them ....

the last pic is a nice angle view showing the difference in the arch pretty well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Page on Thursday, April 30, 2015 - 09:49 pm:

Donnie,

I found out the hard way when I restored our Fordor .

The TT has less arch to make up for the side rails on the TT being so much deeper.

Regards, John Page , Australia.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, May 01, 2015 - 02:41 am:

Thanks Donnie B! That should help quite a few people.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Miller, Sequim WA on Friday, May 01, 2015 - 01:57 pm:

It's not pretty but sometimes a picture is better.

The Front Cross Member for the cars is a whole 1/3 deeper than the TT. When you put them side by each they are easy to distinguish from one another. I know this subject has been covered many times over the years so I thought that a picture should help to end this misunderstanding.
Front X Member

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, May 01, 2015 - 02:43 pm:

I should probably not comment on this as there are many that are much more qualified on this subject than me, however, Just sort of "thinking-out-loud" here:

I've always been under the impression that the car ("T") and truck ("TT") front end from firewall forward were all the same.

The front cross member is prone to considerable distortion from multiple forces, which is why it is sometimes difficult to fit a new (or different) radiator to the two mounting holes,...the front cross member often becomes fatigued and distorted over the years.

There is a procedure that has been discussed on the forum in the past for restoring the front cross member to it's original shape by use of a chain and hydraulic bottle jack.

Just wondering if perhaps that could be the issue here,....comparing cross members which still retain their original shape to the shape of a distorted cross member.

Again, don't let me mislead anyone here, just thinking about front cross member information that's been discussed on the forum in the past,.....FWIW,......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Friday, May 01, 2015 - 04:50 pm:

Harold, The two cross members I am comparing in the above pictures are NOS "Ford" script, never mounted cross members. Fred, your measurements are one inch difference and my measurements are 9/16 difference. But the main thing I wanted to try and show is that there is a car cross member and a TT cross member. I was unaware that there was a difference. I always thought they were the same ..

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration