UHaul 6x12 foot trailer

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: UHaul 6x12 foot trailer
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Friday, May 01, 2015 - 08:21 am:

Would this trailer be large enough to haul a T? Anyone else ever used one for this purpose? They do not include ramps, but I can build a couple quite easily. I like the fact that it has sides, but wonder about what kind of tie downs are inside the trailer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Kemmerer Medford, Or on Friday, May 01, 2015 - 08:30 am:

The door most likely won't be wide enough to get the T in

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By harold lee cartwright on Friday, May 01, 2015 - 08:37 am:

how about the length my depot hack is just short of 13 feet plus 81 inches high

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Friday, May 01, 2015 - 08:41 am:

Like Dale said. I used to use a 6x12 open trailer and it fit the T well, to a T. The front hubcaps are the widest part of the car and you only have a couple of inches to spare on either side. Fortunately, it's easy to see the drivers side cap as you drive on carefully. The Uhaul trailer will NOT work. The doorway is less than 6 feet wide.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Friday, May 01, 2015 - 08:44 am:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/293701.html?1338825364

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, May 01, 2015 - 09:16 am:

6x12 sounds to me like a single axle?? Myself i would not use a single axle to haul anything valuable!! Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Friday, May 01, 2015 - 09:33 am:

What's wrong with a single axle? I use an enclosed one for my car. It is new and of the proper weight rating, has radial tires and I keep the lug nuts properly torqued. Works great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Friday, May 01, 2015 - 10:07 am:

UHAUL does offer a 6 x 12 utility trailer with a full length gate and dual axles for about $35 daily rental fee. I've used that model many times to haul a T and they work great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Friday, May 01, 2015 - 10:09 am:

Here's the link.

http://www.uhaul.com/Trailers/6x12-Utility-Trailer-Rental/RO/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Friday, May 01, 2015 - 10:58 am:

Must be a newer model than the one I saw and measured. Be sure to check at your Uhaul dealer before renting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Chaffin......Corona, CA on Friday, May 01, 2015 - 11:07 am:

Dave is correct. They have two model 6 x 12 utility trailers. One with a narrow gate (and ramp) and one with a full length gate (no ramp). This is the narrow gate model with ramp and will not work for hauling a T.
http://www.uhaul.com/Trailers/6x12-Utility-Trailer-with-Ramp-Rental/HO/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, May 01, 2015 - 11:26 am:

What's wrong with a single axle?? You have no stability if you hit something blow a tire,loose a hub or bearing,and you must be hooked to load/unload?? If your running at 50 60 70 mph and lose tire or wheel will the tail wag the dog?? Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, May 01, 2015 - 11:42 am:

My boat trailer is a single axle rig, total weight about 2,400 pounds. I once had a tire air valve let go at about 55 MPH. It was like a blow out. In no time the tire was shredded. However, it followed just fine. I was able to get it to a safe spot to stop and change it, no problem.

It is a little scary though. Hope I never need to experience it again!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Friday, May 01, 2015 - 01:16 pm:

25 years, same single axle trailer - 2 blowouts. neither was dramatic, just needed to change the tire for the spare. Once towing with an S-10 PU and doing about 55 merging onto the freeway, the other time when towing with a full sized PU and camper when doing 60 to 65.

Never had any stability issues with the trailer but do have electric brakes on it to help on long down hill runs and hard braking when some yoyo in a Prius or minivan cuts me off.

Still have the trailer and now tow with a motor home. The first time convinced me to get real trailer tires instead of cheap car radials and the second flat told me to check more than just the sidewalls and air pressure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Friday, May 01, 2015 - 01:18 pm:

It sounds to me like single axle trailers must be killing people left and right. Anything that dangerous should be banned from the roads. I'm going to take it upon myself to see that single axle trailers are eliminated from Americas highways. Damn killer machines!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Friday, May 01, 2015 - 01:23 pm:

We've been down the single vs double axle road before. I think it ranks up there with discussions about disc brakes, waterpumps, e timers and Marvel Mystery Oil.

(Message edited by 404 not found on May 01, 2015)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, May 01, 2015 - 04:11 pm:

Michael - Point well made! IMO,....yes, tandem axle trailers do have some advantages over a single axle. However, driven in a safe and reasonable manner, again IMO, there is nothing wrong with a single axle trailer. About as unsafe as having only one wheel on each corner of your car or truck. Those that insist that a trailer must have tandem axles to be safe should probably have tandem axles on their pickup truck too. Frankly, if ya' want something to worry about, take a look at some of the trailer HITCHES people use! And think about your tandem axle trailer with surge brakes, which are absolutely USELESS in an emergency situation when you need them most! Surge brakes should be illegal! Thank goodness there are not many of those on the road anymore!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Friday, May 01, 2015 - 04:19 pm:

I used the U-haul auto transporter. The wheel tiedowns are too small but you can work around it. My Jeep Liberty pulled it with no problems.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Garrison - Rice Minnesota on Friday, May 01, 2015 - 07:02 pm:

Without a doubt, tandem axles with electric brakes are the ultimate way to go. And I hope everyone understands I was being a smarta$$ with my comments. But I think a single axle trailer, properly maintained, with good tires and correct weight capacities will haul a Model T all day long without a problem. The correct hitch and proper lights are a must. I haul my T's on a 14', single axle, flat bed trailer all the time. I pull it with a heavy duty 3/4 ton Chevy truck with a Vortec V-8 engine and 6 speed automatic transmission. I'm not in the least concerned about blowing a tire and getting thrown around. Actually I'm more concerned that I have to leave the center armrest up on the seat because the dog is usually with me and I don't have anywhere to set my coffee. Well, that and the fact that stupid dog only wants to listen to country music on the radio.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Friday, May 01, 2015 - 07:48 pm:

Dave,

Are you asking about this particular U Haul trailer
for rental from U Haul or are you asking because
you are looking into buying one ?

Rental = U haul car hauler like William suggested

Purchase = there are plenty of used open trailers
built to haul cars that are a better choice

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Hjortnaes, Men Falls, WI on Friday, May 01, 2015 - 10:01 pm:

The UHaul trailer with a ramp is not available in the Midwest, so that's out.

The other 6x12 trailer without a ramp is available and it is a dual axle. I am using it to take a Speedster to Nebraska, so I do not have to worry about fenders. Doesn't get any wider than the hubcaps.

I cannot swing the cost of a trailer right now ( two kids in college), so I have to rent one. I do not like the UHaul car hauler with the open floor.

I have the trailer brake box installed in my Explorer, so I can adjust the brakes if need be.

Just wondering if anyone else has gone this route. I like a trailer with sides.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Friday, May 01, 2015 - 10:17 pm:

I transported a T in a uhaul moving van well chassis no fenders or hub caps was harder get out then in

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, May 05, 2015 - 06:26 am:

I love my two wheel trailer. It is the fifth one I have built. One advantage those with tandem axle trailers may not be aware of, is their excellent manouverability {sp?}, both on and off the car. I can wheel mine around the back yard on the jockey wheel, and push it into the most confined of spaces. Try that on your own with a tandem trailer!!!

Allan from down under.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration