Replaced Green Manifold Gasket

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Replaced Green Manifold Gasket
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Leck - Ohio on Friday, May 01, 2015 - 11:14 am:

As a new T owner, I'm getting a taste for the fun of driving and repairing. Both facets are enjoyable to me. Actually knowing the vehicle because you restored/resurrected it is exceptionally valuable. I didn't have that luxury when I bought my first(?) T; I opted for the "driver" that someone else had prepared for me. Which is the right way to go, I think. However, this way is not without opportunity for learning!

My engine was "rebuilt" several years and for some reason the green Garlock manifold gaskets were used. I noticed as I was making the deal that the #1 exhaust port was leaking through. Not a big issue, something I can fix. The original muffler came with it, too. Rusted out and with pop riveted repairs. No big deal either.

I thought the muffler replacement would be an easy way to become more acquainted with the T, so that was my first shot at fixing things right. Got the pipe cut from the old muffler to find the connection loose at the manifold. Checked it out and the manifold threads are gone (cross threaded is tight, too!) A quick search of The Forum found the "cut nut and clamp repair" and it got me back on the road.

Meanwhile, I knew I needed a new exhaust manifold with good threads and a new nut. Snyder's is just up the road a couple hours and they had a scratch and dent new manifold just for me. Advice to those wanting one: best to pick through the pile as some of the defects are not minor! Along with the manifold I opted for the original copper ring and gland system to replace the failed green gasket. The Forum archive helped discern that choice too.

This week I decided to tackle the manifold replacement. When I got both of them loose I found the gaskets to be cracked in several places on the exhaust ports and leaking, and even the intake sections were cracked...and no gland rings! I got things cleaned up, and without much trouble keeping everything in place while positioning the manifolds, they were back on and the engine ready to run in a couple of hours.

Of course immediately I noticed the engine sounded better without the exhaust leaks. But now it even idled much smoother because of a good intake manifold seal. I was very pleased. And most of all, it sounds like MY car now!

Question: Do I need to keep tightening the manifold clamp nuts or is one heat cycle re-tightening good enough?

Thanks,

John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, May 01, 2015 - 02:51 pm:

Great fix! One heat cycle retightening has worked fine for me, but checking tightness once in a while is needed for most every bolt that isn't cotter pinned I think :-)

( a strong electro magnet dragging after the car for failing off fasteners might be a good accessory..)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Kuhnash Southeastern Ohio on Friday, May 01, 2015 - 03:07 pm:

Hey John,

You are right up the road from me. I am down near Cambridge.
I get to Hog Heaven up your way once in a while.

greg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, May 01, 2015 - 03:37 pm:

John - Just an "observation" here, but I can't help thinking that your very well worded post is a great example of why this forum is more than just "fun"! It's a great benefit to those that are new to the hobby as well as a tremendous resource for all, whether new or an experienced "T" guy from way back!

Quite often, one or more of the "experienced" "T" guys on the forum will try to get a "newbie" like yourself John, to slow down, get the appropriate manuals, research the forum for help, and "do the job right", exactly like you did John.

Nice write-up and thanks for sharing John,......harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, May 01, 2015 - 03:40 pm:

Oops! One more thing I forgot to say,.....to my way of thinking, you did your forum profile just right too! We all love pictures, and your profile picture is a great shot of a real beauty! Really nice touring car John,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Leck - Ohio on Friday, May 01, 2015 - 06:39 pm:

Roger, Thanks for the advice on keeping things tight without cotter pins...makes sense!

Thanks to you Harold for your note. While I may not have much to say about most of the topics here, thought it could help someone else along the way if I shared my experience this time. I fully planned to take pictures during the procedure to show what I found, but it completely slipped my mind and the job went so quick. All I was focused on was getting the car ready to drive again!

--John

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration