Bent 26-27 axle housing

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Bent 26-27 axle housing
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Deats on Friday, May 01, 2015 - 11:26 am:

Hi All:
I'm new to the T hobby and the forum, so excuse me for my lack of knowledge and sometimes dumb questions.
I have a '26 roadster pickup and am rebuilding the rear. I have purchased the "Ford service Manual" and the MTFCA axle restoration guide.Everything was going well until I reached page 27 in the Guide "Checking the Axle Housing alignment". The axle is so far off on the left side (drivers side) it is almost touching the housing. When I started checking I could see the bend started where the tube exited from the center section and curved toward the front of the car. The bend is greatest where it is closest to the casting. The axle did not leak oil nor are there any signs of cracks in the big end housing. My question is -Should I just try to replace this piece,and put this one aside on a "desperation part" pile for future use. OR. Just try to find another housing. Any and all comments or advice in this would be appreciated.
Bob Deats in South Jersey. USA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Friday, May 01, 2015 - 11:44 am:

I'd say find another housing. They are common and inexpensive. Now, if you had a 1912 or earlier axle, I'd recommend trying to straighten it. You won't get it back to spec but can make it serviceable. It requires special jigs and a bit of knowhow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Friday, May 01, 2015 - 12:03 pm:

My axle tube was bent on my 26 and I was able to straighten it quite easily with heat applied to the "long" side. The idea is that you heat the side of the tube that needs to be shorter in a wedge shaped section to a red heat then let it cool and check for alignment. Repeat as necessary.

Here is the basic idea of heat straightening:

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Friday, May 01, 2015 - 12:26 pm:

Jim's method works well. Any skilled steel fabricator knows this approach. It probably requires the use of a oxy-acetylene torch to work well, as you want "fast" concentrated heating

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Friday, May 01, 2015 - 01:42 pm:

A point to consider. If the bend is not in the tube, eg the ceyinter section, then bending the tube by heating Wii throw the hholes for the roller bearings out of alignment and you've created a real mess.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, May 01, 2015 - 02:32 pm:

If this car doesn't have a Ruckstell, you can probably find a left side which is straight. You need to fix this or eventually you will have problems such as a broken axle shaft due to metal fatigue which is caused by bending each time it rotates.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Deats on Friday, May 08, 2015 - 04:49 pm:

Robert Deats in South Jersey

I found a used housing that is straight, so that is solved. However I discovered the other side is cracked in the thread area of the driveshaft, (and the beat goes on). I have another used one coming soon.

Bob

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration