Front fender height ?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Front fender height ?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Haworth - El Centro, CA. on Friday, May 01, 2015 - 02:59 pm:

I finally have a working chassis for my 1925 Screen Side Express. Now it is time to work on the sheet metal parts. I got the fenders as straight as I could and fitted them to the chassis. Something did not look right. The fenders were different heights. First I checked the frame height it was ok then I took the fenders off and measured the fender braces..The right was 4.5 inches above the tire, the left is 7.5 inches above the tire. Which is correct or are both wrong?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve in Tennessee on Friday, May 01, 2015 - 05:56 pm:

I dug into this a great deal with mine and looked at picture of T's everywhere. I finally cam to the conclusion that it is a matter of personal preference.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Friday, May 01, 2015 - 06:23 pm:

The crown of the fender (highest point) should be about 10 5/16" above the top frame rail.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Haworth - El Centro, CA. on Friday, May 01, 2015 - 07:06 pm:

Thank you Steve and Ken

I found the information I was looking for in the topic "24 fender bracket"

Does anyone know if the these diagrams are year specific ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Friday, May 01, 2015 - 09:52 pm:

Dennis,

Yes, the fender diagram would NOT work as well for the improved 1926-27 model year car. But for any black radiator 1917-1925 car (and possibly even the brass radiator cars – but I would need to check on that one) it should work for the fenders. I.e. the front fenders are the same height (ok – they changed the front springs etc. sometimes but I don’t think it is noticeable and they made minor changes to the fenders but they will fit and function ok (bead may not match the other side and the 1924-25 had a lip on the front part of the fender apron to match the radiator apron).

Note the hood and cowl dimensions are the same 1917-1923 and then 1924-1925 for the cars. With the taller radiator introduced with the higher cowls with the 1924 model year cars and trucks. I'm not sure which year range the cowl, hood, and radiator are in that diagram. I would have to look it up and it should not impact the fender information.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Haworth - El Centro, CA. on Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 12:30 am:

Hap
Thank you
As best I can tell this car started its life as a bare chassis and a local person crafted a simple truck. Later someone using a kit added the top and the screen sides. It was in very rough shape when I got it in 2008 but I am very pleased with what I have so far. I have a lot of experience as a mechanic so it was fun getting the chassis ready. I have always avoided body work so now I am learning something new welding, reshaping and filling to repair years of neglect and abuse. Next will come the wood body. I have done a lot of woodworking so I am looking forward to that part.

Tomorrow I will check the car against the diagram.
Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 06:08 am:

Dennis,

You have a very interesting screen side truck body there. I rummaged through some of my books trying to find a general match to the body, but none of them jumped out at me as “this is it!” It should make a nice light delivery truck as you continue to finish more and more of it. Perhaps someone else remembers seeing an advertisement or photo of that body style? You shared, you believe the lower part of the truck was probably there first and then the screen side top fitted later. Some times it is hard to figure out how the car arrived at the current state. Did they put a couple of cars together taking the best parts from the different bodies and chassis? Or did one of the previous owners toss the front seat wood and replace it along with the firewall? From the two photos I would lean in that direction. But you have seen all the parts and hopefully you can tell what was with which parts originally. I really like the iron work supporting the front of the top.

Good luck with your project and please keep us posted on your progress and if you run across any information on which company produced the screen side parts.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Haworth - El Centro, CA. on Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 07:30 pm:

Thank you again Steve, Ken and Hap

Isn,t the forum great!!!

When I compared my chassis to the diagrams the right side was very close and the left was several inches to high which made it too short. I made a cardboard template and using an old monkey wrench and a pipe extension I made the left side match the right. Now I can go back to welding up the tears in my fenders.

Thank you again

Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Sunday, May 03, 2015 - 02:11 pm:

Here's a trick I learned many years ago restoring brass car and getting the fenders equal side to side.

I use an 8' florescent light tube with a level taped to it. These tubes are absolutely perfect and long enough to reach to the outside of any pair of fenders(fronts only)

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom 30 miles N of Memphis TN on Friday, August 14, 2015 - 05:51 pm:

Not sure how I missed this back in Jan. I had that same body as Dennis on my 17. I'll post an old photo in a few days. I would be interested in that body if it's for sale.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration