OT Maxwell carb

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT Maxwell carb
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 01:57 am:

I know this isn't Model T but this is a Maxwell carb I pulled off a table at an auction several years ago. Blew the loose dirt out of it and sold it to a guy. He sent it to me to be rebuilt last winter. Worked on it and worked on it, been trying to find time to finish it, got it done today, test run was good, ran far better than I expected. Now I know how to do the needle and seat in them. Learning curve.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 05:23 am:

Neat! I don't care if it isn't always model T. They look great! Thanks Stan H for sharing!
You do wonderful work.
Drive carefully, and enjoy, W2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 07:26 am:

It's a work of art! Too bad it is hidden under the hood.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 07:50 am:

Stan,
Did you figure out a way to put a modern needle and seat in it?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis on Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 09:06 am:

That is really beautiful Stan! What year and model Maxwell is it for?

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 09:08 am:

I don't see where it can bolt to an intake manifold. (?)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 10:21 am:

Thanks.

Eric, yes. Reformed original seat, new steel needle. Modern material float. New shaft for all of it.

Howard, I believe it's for a 1907, the two cylinder.

Mike, it screws on to a 1 inch pipe thread nipple on the upper threaded flange, I assume a pre heater pipe screws into the lower one, at least that is the air intake.

One of the changes I made was to the mixture adjustment needle. I made a new one so I made the taper about 4 times as long as the original. The old taper was so short it must have been virtually impossible to adjust the mixture. I never tried to run it before I tore it apart so I don't know how well it adjusted but on the Maxwell forums there are all sorts of questions and venting about how hard it is to adjust the mixtures correctly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 10:41 am:

I am so buried in carb work that I don't have time to take a lot of photos and post them but here are a couple more recent rebuilds. One is a Breeze for a 1910 Hupp; a Stromberg B3 for a Mitchell??; other is a Schebler D for a 1910 Sears. Last one is a big dual fuel Kingston for an early Hart Paar tractor. Must have laid in a manure pile or hung in an old shop for 100 years. I'm gaining on it but it may drive me insane before I get it done. Lots of old repairs, bent and broken parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 10:44 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 10:45 am:

Several missing parts, too. Yuck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Hylen- Central Minnesota on Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 02:42 pm:

Yes the intake manifold is threaded in the two cylinder Maxwells. The carb mounts via the top hope, just as Stan said.the bottom hole connects to a thin-walled brass pipe that leads to a heat cuff wrapped around the right cylinder of the motor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 07:34 pm:

Stan, do you have a source for the tapered spring in the Schebler D air valve? I see the one you worked on has a butterfly valve. Perhaps you modified it. Mine has a guillotine valve where the carb attaches to the manifold and a spring loaded air valve where your butterfly valve is. The spring behind the plug on the air valve is tapered.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 07:36 pm:

P.S. You did good on that Maxwell carb if you got it to run well both at idle and speed!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Ohio on Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 07:52 pm:

Stan,

Once again it is great to see your workmanship on all these different carbs. Your talent amazes me. I have trouble folding the paper bags flat after I come home from the grocery store!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Dorholt - Mpls, MN on Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 11:35 pm:

Just cleaned up and put one of those Strombergs B-3 on the neighbors Hershoff this morning. It was a mess and works great know.
Very simple carb!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Sunday, May 03, 2015 - 01:42 am:

Richard, my parts supply is I buy every one of those I can find cheap. They actually work very well if you replace the leather on the air valve and have a good spring. The spring is touchy.

Thanks all for the nice comments. Just came in from the shop. Long day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Sunday, May 03, 2015 - 10:23 pm:

Richard, I have a fire buddy with a Maxwell and having trouble adjusting the idle. Do you have any experience with them?

I sent him a link and suggested he send it off to Stan

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration