"Other" Brass Curtain Fasteners

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: "Other" Brass Curtain Fasteners
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Martin on Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 09:57 am:

Does anyone have knowledge on curtain fasteners made by companies other than Murphy? I came across an interesting set of these, where some are marked "A" inside a diamond, and others with an ship's "anchor" shape. From a bit of research on the internet, I believe they were manufactured by North & Judd Mfg Co..

It would also be interesting to know what Ford used besides Murphy brand, from evidence of original cars or period documents.

a

b

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 10:40 am:

David-
These were on a car in Kanab on the Canyonland tour a few years back. I have one of them.

I believe the A stood for Anchor, the same company that made the combination top hook/strap adjuster. The top strap adjuster has the Anchor logo. I've never seen a fastener with the anchor logo. Thanks for sharing.

Here is a image of their hardware catalog from 1911.

: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 10:49 am:

I've noted the anchor brand in 1915, but not before. As far as the Murphys, they seem to have been used mostly prior to 1912, but not entirely. They came in cast styles, and the common stamped ones too. I have two original '13s, and both of them had plain common sense fasteners, as well as an original 1912 touring the Kim Dobbins now owns.
As far as the eyelets go, we are working on a tool to convert the current eyelets to the earlier style. Will keep you posted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 11:01 am:

I have not seen any M marked common sense fasteners on an original unmolested Model T. They always have some other maker's mark, or no mark. In fact the ones used on Kim Dobbins unrestored 1912 were not polished brass, they were black painted brass originally, as were the receptacles. Here are some pictures of that car's Murphy fasteners I took recently:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 11:17 am:

Just to add to the confusion, these are on an early teens Metz.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Martin on Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 06:59 pm:

Royce, All evidence is that the top on this car is completely original, except repairs to the front bow. All fasteners (attached with screws and those with folded tabs into the material) are Murphy branded. While the top is mostly torn & degraded, the fasteners appear to have been there from the start. I'm not suppressed that the curtain fasteners attached to the body and firewall are of different manufacture since they were attached at different times in the assembly process.

A

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Martin on Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 09:19 pm:

Keith, Thank you for the photo. I agree that "A" represents Anchor. Early advertisement listings support this as well, and refers to them as "Anchor Brand" just like your catalog shows.

I'd like to find a few of these to complete my set. If anyone has any extras....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 11:59 pm:

What year is the car the Murphy fasteners are attached to?

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration