What have you done in May?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: What have you done in May?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 03:51 pm:

Replaced rear axle housing rivets. Thanks to all the advice I found here on the Forum.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/488171.html?1414118601

and several others.

I opted to cut bolts down. Also used JB Weld to seal and secure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Knowles - Moncton, New Brunswick on Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 04:07 pm:

Just put 4 new tires on.Just got the car out from winter storage as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 05:11 pm:

Look's nice!! Bud in Wheeler, Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marc Johnson Helotes TX on Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 05:28 pm:

Replaced gears in slow & reverse drums, new bushings bored or honed and slight grind on drums to clean & true up. Next need to balance them. Drilled end of crank & shaft for pressure fed transmission. Should have drill from flange to rear main when I drilled the crank.
Most important, replaced brick moulding around three outside doors.😁

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 07:27 pm:

Slept in till 8 am. . . . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 07:40 pm:

Worked on the '13 and spent the afternoon driving around in the '20 Runabout. Great day. No wind, bright sunshine, lotsa wavers, lookers, holler-ers along the way! Doesn't get much better than that.
Then after supper back to reality--mowed my elderly neighbors yard as he cant get on the tractor anymore. Poor guy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 07:43 pm:

Made an 11 hour round trip to pick up a running '15 engine to swap into my '14 which has been down with a two piece crank. May be back on the road sooner rather than later.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 08:18 pm:

Rebuilt the rear axle in my 25 coupe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Sorenson-Montrose,CO on Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 09:07 pm:

Just wanted to comment on Richard's post....
That came out good!!!! You won't have any tell-tail seepage around that repair.....!!
Enjoy all your posts on your repairs....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Carl Sorenson-Montrose,CO on Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 09:38 pm:

Just wanted to comment on Richard's post....
That came out good!!!! You won't have any tell-tail seepage around that repair.....!!
Enjoy all your posts on your repairs....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 10:07 pm:

Pulled the radiator from my 25 Coupe today to fix a three year old leak. It will be back together tomorrow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 10:14 pm:

Fought a sinus infection. :-( It feels like it is winning.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A smith on Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 10:21 pm:

Finally able to do final fitting of body parts on the Autowa roadster.Paint will be soon hopefully.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 10:34 pm:

Drove my 1927 today a BUNCH!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, May 03, 2015 - 01:25 am:

Had a TT rear end with a Lincoln aux. trans. follow me home after
undertaking a plan to build a second rear end with high speed gears
in it. Cases of first rear end are stripped out and heading for the
hot tank before painting. Guts look excellent.

lincoln1.jpg lincoln4.jpg

Undetermined if the Lincoln is a 2 or 3 speed, but entire assembly
is shortened to the exact length as my current unit, so minimal work
will be needed to drop it in.

lincoln3.jpg

Bought some white oak and built a rear rack to keep stuff from rolling
off the back. :-)

lincoln2.jpg lincoln4.jpg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, May 03, 2015 - 01:25 am:

Had a TT rear end with a Lincoln aux. trans. follow me home after
undertaking a plan to build a second rear end with high speed gears
in it. Cases of first rear end are stripped out and heading for the
hot tank before painting. Guts look excellent.

Undetermined if the Lincoln is a 2 or 3 speed, but entire assembly
is shortened to the exact length as my current unit, so minimal work
will be needed to drop it in.

Bought some white oak and built a rear rack to keep stuff from rolling
off the back. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, May 03, 2015 - 01:28 am:

Hmmm ... photos seem to be experiencing a malfunction.

Wassup ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, May 03, 2015 - 02:28 am:

Since the pix always worked w/o issue before, Let's try a little
troubleshooting and load the pix one at a time .... see if that is
the issue ???

TT doing what it was built to do. :-)

New rear rack.

Love that raised emb'g on old iron. :-)

Lincoln rear end with high speed gear guts from 2nd rear end all
cleaned up and ready for reassembly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Sunday, May 03, 2015 - 03:19 am:

Primered almost all of the black to the sedan today.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Sunday, May 03, 2015 - 05:14 am:

Yesterday I added my 1922 License plate (not registered though) and "Farm" Topper, and side handles to the tool/battery box on my doodlebug. I also added my Safety triangle, but I am going to have to slightly move that as the top part you can feel when your sitting in the seat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Sunday, May 03, 2015 - 06:43 am:

Yesterday I drove my friend to the Ford dealer (in the model "T") to get some parts for his truck, I don't think the salesmen/women were getting anything done!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Batta - Dayton, Ohio on Sunday, May 03, 2015 - 06:34 pm:

Sandblasted, painted, reassembled and reinstalled front springs and front axle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, May 03, 2015 - 07:44 pm:

Finally got out for a good tour in the '15 with my wife. Did a good 40 miles with a stop in between to visit some friends for a bit. Great run, great day. 'Bout time! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Sunday, May 03, 2015 - 10:56 pm:

I changed out the Kevlar bands and installed some NOS Scandinavians. The Kevlars are just to "harsh" for my liking. I always had good luck with original Scandinavians, and I really like the "feel" that I have now that I have switched back. Then I gave the old girl a good wash and clean up. Its time to go touring in our neck of the world .. :-) :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Danek_ Salem, Mass on Monday, May 04, 2015 - 12:21 pm:

At the 56th annual swap meet in Mansfield , Ma. this past Saturday. Bought an extra spare turtle deck for the '20 runabout. Found for my buddy a pre '19 front end for $25.Real nice. The '23 runabout in background for sale, has two piece crank in it.

at the sawp meet

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller on Monday, May 04, 2015 - 12:51 pm:

I switched from the "Taking stuff off" phase to the "Putting stuff on" phase and couldn't be happier.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Elliott on Monday, May 04, 2015 - 08:12 pm:

I got my rebuilt motor back from Joe Bell a couple of weeks ago and am finally getting the old girl back together! It may look like an untouched motor (which is exactly what I wanted) but on the inside it's rebuilt by one of the best! Thanks, Joe, for another masterpiece! I can't wait to take her for a spin!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Danek_ Salem, Mass on Tuesday, May 19, 2015 - 02:09 pm:

Finally heading out for the first ride in 2015!
Miles of smiles, no problems

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Tuesday, May 19, 2015 - 02:40 pm:

I drove a bit -
May 2nd - played in a performance art event carrying some Gnomes around.
May 3rd - went to breakfast and their first tour with Sea-Tac HCCA.
May 8-10 - Put 600 miles on my speedster from Bellevue to Chelan, to Omak and back to Chelan and then over Highway 20 back to 9 and back to Bellevue.
May 16 - car display at Museum of Flight.

No trailers used and other than a float sticking one time all went smoothly.

I love good spring weather in Western WA.

All ready for more touring and just general driving this summer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Tuesday, May 19, 2015 - 03:28 pm:

Went to the Luray Swap meet, yous guys should have been there. Lots of parts and a good time was had by all. Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Lebeda, Humboldt, SD on Tuesday, May 19, 2015 - 08:18 pm:

START:

1919 C-door

CLOSE TO END?

1919 Engine

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Tuesday, May 19, 2015 - 10:53 pm:

I have been busy installing a new water ride!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Tuesday, May 19, 2015 - 11:00 pm:

Chuck, great job!..Quite the transformation indeed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daryl Miles- North Carolina on Tuesday, May 19, 2015 - 11:42 pm:

Rebuilt my first rear assy, thanks to you guys and the "books", rebuilt the steering assy, rebuilt the entire front-end assy. Just got the useable parts together to send the engine to the pro...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, May 20, 2015 - 12:01 am:

Having driven the roadster to town several times recently, today I got around to draining the oil for a change of same, cleaning the screen, and adjusting the rear brakes. Too busy rebuilding my back porch for much else.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Wednesday, May 20, 2015 - 12:37 am:

Daryl, that left trailing arm looks pretty bent, did you straighten it before re-installation? Is there a reason for the white primer/paint?..are you doing a custom color paint job?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Wednesday, May 20, 2015 - 01:26 am:

Straitened, spot welded, and replaced outer muffler tube after being too slow switching from bat to mag. Didn't have time to order a new one before Larry Cuifo's Evergreen Coast tour that starts tomorrow morning!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Lebeda, Humboldt, SD on Wednesday, May 20, 2015 - 07:55 am:

John: Thanks!

Still have a leaky freeze plug and lower radiator hose not sealing well on the corroded intake. I tried the ‘nickel’ thing on the freeze plug and must not have had it fitted/ground right? Will try some gasket sealer on the lower hose. Need to PM you on that firewall mounted cut-out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Wednesday, May 20, 2015 - 09:52 am:

I bought the '26 roadster from the museum that received it about 20 years ago from the estate of the old man that first taught me about Model Ts somewhere in the mid 60s. Then changed it to 21" wire wheels. Also excavated a '22 Fordson and am presently in the process of disassembly for restoration.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, May 20, 2015 - 10:23 am:

Chuck, I had freeze plug leaks too. When I redid them I used plenty of Permatex #2.

Clean off the excess Permatex with a toothpick.

Then clean up with lacquer thinner.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chuck Lebeda, Humboldt, SD on Wednesday, May 20, 2015 - 10:19 pm:

Steve:

I will give the ‘nickel’ thing another try with a lot of gasket sealer.

Thanks,

Chuck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daryl Miles- North Carolina on Thursday, May 21, 2015 - 12:18 am:

John Noonan, I straightened and readjusted both the arms when I put it all back together. One still has a minor crimp in it but hard to see and I squared everything true before I got it back underneath tonight. The white epoxy primer is because its going to be a white Speedster, Brass Era (looks),stained wood, updating with starter, distributer...It's my Boss's car. I call it Franken-T. I'll get the recent pics off my phone and post the progress soon. I'm ready to begin some wood working

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n Los Angeles CA on Thursday, May 21, 2015 - 02:45 am:

26 Cal. Plate update. derusted in molasses method for two weeks. Flash rust was a b---h.

Went over flash rust and primed with Rustoleum 2 primer coats

This is what the final product will look like when done. Med.Slate Blue with white

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daryl Miles- North Carolina on Thursday, May 21, 2015 - 02:55 am:

Fitting and deciding. Primed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 09:16 pm:

Got my Hickory box on car and adjusted fender brackets to work with wire wheels. Hope to have fenders brass plated in next 2 weeks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder, Iowa City IA. on Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 10:45 pm:

I have used 7 tanks of Gas in my 25 roadster PU this spring. Trying out roller timer. In this time I have.tightened the rods.
Replaced the head with high compression cast iron one.
replaced starter,pan with straightened 4 dip pan
Installed turbo 400 clutch with new band springs nuts and washers.
new generator pin the old one fell out!
modern oil seal.
safety plate glass
hhh
one coil that failed. And today I replaced the
roller timer with an old New Day timer. Now I finally got rid of the miss.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Yoder, Iowa City IA. on Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 10:49 pm:

I forgot Timing gear. still need to replace the front cam bearing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 11:34 pm:

64 mile round trip to Mom and Dad's Sunday in the T. 59 min's for trip home (about 32 miles) many hills, made most of the lights through Portland. Used about 3.75 gal gas for the trip.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Wednesday, May 27, 2015 - 11:59 pm:

I pulled the engine from my touring (two piece crank) in preparation for a temporary replacement engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lovejoy, So Cal on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 12:04 am:

Finally got my TT's trans back together with a refurbished mag and now I am going through the starter. Hope to have it running again next month, not on the road, but running again. The starter and mag have never worked as long as I have had it, looking forward to trying both.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 12:42 pm:

Replaced the brake band on my 1927. Tightened up front wheel bearings on the same car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth from NC on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 12:51 pm:

Tom! Post pics and maybe a video when you get TT running. I'm excited to hear that muffler I made for you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 12:59 pm:

Steve? did you have to use a Buffalo nickel for the freeze plug just to keep period authenticity?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Mackinnon on Thursday, May 28, 2015 - 02:50 pm:

Spent three days this past weekend cleaning the garage & removed platform and a few other parts from the T Speedster to allow for storage of 3 cars in one 24 X 24 garage, and finish the chassis on the T. Rear end & driveshaft rebuild, smooth out and paint radius rods and some other parts, install exhaust, etc. are the next steps...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Lovejoy, So Cal on Friday, May 29, 2015 - 12:39 am:

well do Seth, I cam't wait either :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Craig Anderson, central Wisconsin on Friday, May 29, 2015 - 08:27 pm:

Besides driving them I actually washed the shed dust off of them as I'm taking them and the '25 Dodge to our local Pioneer museum which will be open Monday for 40 third graders....... :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Whaley, Georgetown Ontario Canada on Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 12:24 pm:

Finally took the truck out for a quick spin yesterday. Felt REAL good to drive it again!

It's been a busy couple of months since we moved to the new place.

It's a crying shame that I am putting more miles on my lawnmower than my T. That will change shortly though - we've almost got the property to were we want it to be.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 05:03 pm:

Spent the next to last day in May making patterns for side curtains to put on Dixie, the '27 Touring.

Have put off doing this since the top went on, touring in mild climates makes them not too useful. But lately the FL Winter tour has been cold! Rear seat passengers will like the curtains!

First had to make new front door curtain posts.

Trip to the hardware store for 7/16" bar stock. Heat and bent, test, grind flats in the right places. Works!

For samples, had bought a pair of original rear curtain posts from Dan Hatch at Hershey. They fit fine, even marked "RR" and RL", so did the same to stamp the fronts "FR" and FL"!

Then found out the right side rear top iron at the curve near the body mount was cracking, so had to braze that back stronger.

For patterns, used the sketches on the MTFCI Tech site, and photo from the web showing larger windows than factory. Need those big clear windows today!

Now cut out full size rough patterns for the upholstery shop to get idea of what to create. Will be 3 piece like original, but bigger windows, and modern fastener like Velcro straps instead of metal clips, and Lift- the- Dots, and snap fasteners too for ease of install.

For arm signal, will just have quick release Velcro on the driver's front rear edge, where it fits to the center curtain....so easy to part the curtains with my arm to signal turns!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Whaley, Georgetown Ontario Canada on Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 05:26 pm:

Looks great Dan!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Graham Lloyd on Saturday, May 30, 2015 - 06:06 pm:

Well, I started May off by changing a couple of ball joints, the pitman and idler arm in my 62 Tempest. Then spent 3 days in the Toronto area while it starred in a movie.

Went to London to pick up a Model A hot rod for a friend.

Changed a ball joint and did the brakes on my 61 Buick wagon. Fixed a hole in the wheel arch as well.

Thankfully the 54 Imperial needed only an oil change. Racked up a couple of hundred miles on it already.

Took the T to a fellow a couple of towns over to have it checked over. I'm still not all that sure what I am doing on it. So let an expert look it over. Put some miles on it, but it's developed a stumble and loss of power when using the magneto. Not sure what it is, so next week I'll trailer it back to have it looked after.

Sold my 67 GTO and some bits and pieces. Cleaning up the garage now to continue wiring it. Hope to have that done plus the insulation, heat and drywall by fall.

Sheesh. I've been busy. I need a nap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Aldrich Orting Wa on Monday, June 01, 2015 - 01:21 pm:

Went on a 2 day trip with two other Model T clubs. Puget Sound Model T and Kitsap Model T and Carbon Canyon Model T spent 2 days running around Olympic Peninsula including a 17 mile climb up to Hurricane Ridge.
The Picture is Port Ludlow which was one of our stops, Morris Tonda put this all together and did a great job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Monday, June 01, 2015 - 08:46 pm:

John - Morris James rather than Morris Tonda but fully agree that it was a fun and well arranged tour.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tyrone Thomas - Topeka KS on Monday, June 01, 2015 - 09:17 pm:

Painted the wheels on my A. Got a trailer out of my yard and in someone else's :-) It was good to meet you both Lenny, hope you had a good return trip. Tuning up my A speedster for the Speedway Tour.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, June 03, 2015 - 02:39 am:

Toss this in for the month of May. After a couple years of collecting parts and some occasional tinkering, I FINALLY started serious work on the '15 runabout. The re-wood framework is over half done already. Now I just have to somehow mange to keep moving on it.

How the car still looked three weeks ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Wednesday, June 03, 2015 - 10:57 am:

Way to go Wayne. I remember seeing that car in a previous discussion and thought what a great car that would be. Have fun with it.

Rich

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration