Model T tire valve dust covers

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Model T tire valve dust covers
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 04:01 pm:

I'm looking for a particular dust cover, maybe used in 1916-17 like the drawing. Its nickel plated brass, and marked Schrader, pat April 11,05 and Aug 3,1915. I'm not sure that Ford used these, but id like more info if anyone knows. Note that there is no rolled lip at the bottom. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 07:51 pm:

What's the dimensions, Kim ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 09:20 pm:

The Rip Van Winkle Ford had that style of cap.

My dad's 1917 touring also had them - he bought the car in unrestored condition from the original family in 1949.

Both of the above were most likely Minneapolis assembled cars - Rip Van Winkle June 1917 motor (resided in Center City, MN) and my dad's touring July 1917 motor (resided in Buffalo, MN). Both towns are approximately 40 miles from Minneapolis.

Note that these dust caps are too short to be used with the brass valve stemmed inner tubes being sold today.

Also - shown in the photos is the correct nut which is cast and machined, not the more common stamped nut. The nuts are harder to find than the cover.

I believe I had put together a set for my '17 roadster that are in better condition - no gouges and do not need to be re-plated, but I can't remember where I stored them. I'll take a photo of those better examples if I can find them. These two caps just happened to be sitting on my workbench.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 09:25 pm:

Steve, I don't know the dimensions. Erik, I want these for the RVW car as they are all missing. Thanks for posting the photo. Kim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 10:12 pm:

I hesitate to ask, but. . WHY are they missing??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 10:16 pm:

Two inch length.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 10:37 pm:

Two of the caps and nuts are shown on page 21 of the Sept/Oct 1978 issue of Vintage Ford. They were not installed on the car at the time. Those two caps were probably from the two rear tires that were ruined and removed in later years when the car was taken out for a joy ride.

It is hard to tell from the photos if the other two original caps and nuts are installed on the front wheels which still had their original tires and tubes.

As I indicated earlier, these caps are too short to be used with the brass stem inner tubes currently being sold. Also, the original cast and machined nut does not have a large enough diameter to be used with the current valve stems.

The only way they can be utilized is if you install the correct, shorter and thinner antique Schrader metal valve stem on a new tube. (The Model A Ford guys can buy tubes with the correct stems for their cars. Why can't we?)

Within the past 37 years, when new tires and tubes were installed on the car, the caps were probably misplaced instead of being put under the back seat for safekeeping.

(I should also mention that my father and I were able to see the car when it was in the Minneapolis area in the late 70s.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 11:15 pm:

David, I can't tell you why they are missing, There were two of them in the tool pouch about 15 years ago, but they are not there now and are not in the tool box, so I'm trying to find 4 of them. Kim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 11:54 pm:

None of the new valve stem parts currently being made are correct. First of all they were NOT vulcanized to the tubes. Second the stems are too big a diameter, and third the rest of the parts made for the current parts are not correct either! As mentioned above, if these parts are made correctly for the Model A guys, why can't they be made correctly for us? I personally have no problems with valve stems and associated parts, because I've been collecting them for years. Hopefully someone will come along in the future that cares enough about authentic parts to make them exactly correct!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, May 03, 2015 - 12:38 am:

Kim, I'm glad you have the car, I doubt stuff "disappears" under your care-taking! I'll look in my drawer of pieces, maybe there's something there--I remember some shorter covers (but this is a 10 year-old memory).
Larry, I suspect "our" parts are left-over A repro stuff!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, May 03, 2015 - 12:45 am:

Just occurred to me, would these be correct for my Dec '15 made '16?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Sunday, May 03, 2015 - 10:24 am:

I have at least one that looks NOS. The photo from my phone does not do it justice. I would trade for a set of high resolution photos on a CD Kim!

I may have more, need to check the big box of Schrader parts that I have in Georgetown when I get back there later in the week.

Here's the one from my Dallas parts collection:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Sunday, May 03, 2015 - 10:29 am:

Is the felloe nut that Erik posted cast? Sure looks like it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, May 03, 2015 - 10:32 am:

Yes, it is cast.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Sunday, May 03, 2015 - 11:27 am:

I have 2 ( on the right ) to contribute if they are good enough. Any ideas on the others?

a

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, May 03, 2015 - 11:42 am:

Here is a comparison of the the smaller, cast brass nut and the more typical stamped nut for the larger diameter stem.

The stamped nut on the right is NOS and still has its original leather gasket.

The dust cover does work with both nuts; however, the cast nut is what I consider to be correct as it is the same style that was originally on my dad's 1917 touring and what was also with the 1917 Rip Van Winkle touring and only fits the smaller diameter valve stems of the tubes that were available for Fords during that period.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, May 03, 2015 - 11:46 am:

I should mention - there are also smaller stamped nuts that are the same size as the cast nut - an example would be the one that Royce posted. The stamped nuts in either size are easy to find.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Sunday, May 03, 2015 - 02:55 pm:

I have some of the Schrader stamped nuts and the unmarked cast nuts, many of each if needed. The patent inscription on the stamped nut and the inscription and plating on the cover appear to match each other. The cast nuts all appear to have been painted originally like the ones in Eric's picture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Sunday, May 03, 2015 - 02:56 pm:

Erik, Thanks for all the info, i have 3 now, just need one more! kim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, May 03, 2015 - 03:55 pm:

Two more - Always carry a spare! :-)

red

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Sunday, May 03, 2015 - 04:03 pm:

Can't help you out, Kim - I went through my two drawers this a.m. and have about any style but the ones you need - sorry !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Skille on Sunday, May 03, 2015 - 05:01 pm:

Kim, I found 4 but 3 of them are not good enough to be with that car. One is very good may be NOS It is yours if you still need one. Don't have the solid brass nut though.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration