OT what is it?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT what is it?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 04:58 pm:

I picked this up at a garage sale for $3.00 along with the Ford script wheel puller pictured with it. The seller had no idea what either of the items were but I was glad to take the mystery piece as part of the deal for the wheel puller. It must be some type of clamp but what would it be used for specifically and does it have a name?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 05:25 pm:

could be a saw vice.charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 05:45 pm:

I thought "welding clamp", but then it seems to have a base that is designed to be bolted to a bench, so you might be right Charley.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Shirley on Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 06:19 pm:

Back in the day, almost all carpenters sharpened their hand saws at the end of each day with a small triangle file. The clamp is a saw clamp. And by the way, if you wanted to start a war, pick up one of their saws and start cutting a board. They lovingly cared for their tools and the last thing they wanted was some young apprentice kinking a saw they made their living with.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 06:52 pm:

Yep, my Dad would have a cow if any of us got into his carpenter's box. After my brother took over the place, well, the box is still there, but it's empty and no tools around.
Now to go with that vise, you need a setting tool! I don't think I have the vise, but I do have quite a few setting tools, they seem to come with yard/estate sale finds.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 08:28 pm:

I don't have a saw setting tool but I do have a few saws that need sharpening so I am going to bolt it to my work bench and give it a try. Thanks for the information. I picked up a couple of other weird things over the years that I would love to be able to identify and I will try and get pictures of them and see if anyone can tell me what they are since it seems that the Forum is not just a source of Model T knowledge.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 09:07 pm:

It takes three tools to sharpen the saws (not counting a vice to hold it) First the setting tool sets the teeth, then you use a "joiner" It is a file guide to hold a flat file while you file the sides of the teeth. It is made to precisely make each tooth be the same amount of set on each side of the blade, then finally a three corner file to file each tooth. When sharpened right, a hand saw is a pleasure to use ... if sharpened poorly or dull then they are a nightmare ... I still hand sharpen my hand saws, just to stay in practice. It may be an important skill, after the "Zombie apocalypse"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 09:29 pm:

Saw vices are a pretty common item that I regularly see at estate sales.

However, using the hub puller as a reference, the vices are I see are much wider. That is very narrow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William L Vanderburg on Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 09:41 pm:

It's a saw vise. My grandfather had several of these.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration