Clutch Disc Drum Query: T725 vs T725B

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Clutch Disc Drum Query: T725 vs T725B
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Saturday, May 02, 2015 - 09:46 pm:

I am going through some extra parts that I plan on selling and I have two clutch disc drums: one is stamped T725 and the other T725-B. Both have two holes around the outer rim. Lang's part number is 3332LU. Are there any differences between the two? I am not seeing anything other than more surface area where the lug shoes sit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Sunday, May 03, 2015 - 06:28 am:

Jim,

Bottom Line Up Front: I donít know what the differences are.

Additional information:

A quick look at Bruce's (RIP) Price List of Parts data shows that the 725 was used on the early 1909s and the 725B was used on the 1909-1927. The part number for both is listed as 3332 without any suffix over the years. Normally that indicates the later parts were a suitable substitute for the earlier parts.

When the later parts were not a direct substitute for the earlier parts Ford normally added a letter to the part number. For example the earlier above the axle wishbone was part number 2733. The later below the front axle was part number 2733B. The 2733B would not work as a direct replacement for the 2733 without making some other modifications such as replacing the spring perches etc. But they also added the suffix when the part could replace the earlier part but was still substantially different. For example the non-starter engine block was part number 3000 (both the water pump early 1909 and the thermo-syphon non-starter 1909-1919 standard bore blocks although the factory numbers were 400 and 400B respectively). The starter block that had the place for the generator was part number 3000C and they didnít change the part number when they added the boss to the back of the engine for the 1926 style where the transmission housing had the bolts into the back of the block. Again the factory numbers did change with 400C the 1919-1925ish and the 400D for the 1926-27 style block.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Sunday, May 03, 2015 - 03:01 pm:

Hal:

Thanks for the explanation. So, looking at the data, #725 would have been potentially one of 10,660 cars produced in 1909 and since Henry changed over to the #725B mid-year 1909, there would have been even less made. It would seem like a rather rare part, though probably not very valuable except to a collector that gathers variations on parts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Sunday, May 03, 2015 - 04:13 pm:

A clutch drum with 6 holes around the perimeter is an early one and is to be used with the early brake drum that uses a "top hat" style inner brass bushing for which the clutch drum rides against.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Kelsey on Monday, May 04, 2015 - 01:54 am:

Steve:

Is there any difference between #725 and #725B. Do you know what years they were produced? Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Monday, May 04, 2015 - 12:59 pm:

My understanding of the Ford part numbers was any re-design resulted in a letter following the original number.

All T's used a clutch drum and I couldn't find any production info. on them. From what is printed, the rear flanged brake drum bushing was used up to 1920, which used the early clutch drum, before eliminating the flanged bushing and utilizing the 3 steel thrust washers.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration