Can someone remind me how to wire the starter switch on the floor board, i thought the yellow wire and the starter wire went together, but I am getting no spark and if I switch the yellow with the wire coming from the battery my starter starts to smoke and gets hot, what am I missing
Yellow wire still getting hot and smoking, starter switch ? It's a new switch
The yellow wire and the positive cable from the battery go on the same terminal of the starter button as shown in the diagram you posted. G on the diagram. Hook the yellow to the H terminal and you'll only get spark when you crank. Yellow wire is power for the whole car except for the starter. Your question's phrasing isn't clear enough to assess any thing else.
EXACTLY where is the yellow wire hooked up to?
Does it matter what side of the terminal the hot wire and the starter wire go on
Yes it matters, hook to the wrong side and you only get power to coils lights etc when the switch is pressed down, closed.
So I have put the yellow and the positive wire coming from the battery to on one side of the starter switch and the starter wire to the other side and tried it. Yellow wire smoked. Changed the positive and yellow wire to the other side of the starter stitch and put the starter wire on the other side and tried it and the yellow wired smoked. Changed starter switches and tried it again same thing. I check my ground.
One very common cause of a yellow wire getting hot and smoking is a stuck or shorted generator cutout. The cutout is supposed to allow current to flow from the generator to the battery through the yellow wire when the engine is running and turning the generator. However, if the cutout is shorted, it will put battery current into the generator and since the generator cannot turn it will just cause a drain on the battery through the yellow wire. That is the first place to check. If you lift the yellow wire off the cutout and tape the end of the wire that would stop the yellow wire overheating unless the problem is elsewhere in the circuit. A ground to the body or chassis anywhere else such as the ammeter, the ignition switch, the light switch, the horn wire or switch, the terminal block or anywhere where the insulation on the yellow wire is bad would also cause the problem. Sometimes the problem is as simple as a screw too long on the terminal block if you have a metal firewall. If the screw goes all the way through the block to the firewall it could ground the yellow wire.
Norm,thanks for all your help it was the generator cutout!
The cutout must have failed in some unusual way since usually they just "stick" closed and that usually amounts to at most 15 amps (usually less) of discharge as the battery tries to spin the generator as a motor. Since the solid yellow wire is 12 Gauge wire, it will NOT smoke with even 20 amps through it. It also sounds to me like you should seriously consider installing a fuse in the car to save the wiring but it might be too late for some of the wiring if it has already been burned. A 25 amp fuse in that solid yellow wire at the starter switch end would have blown and saved your wiring from overheating.
Good. I'm glad that you found the cause. It is also important that you don't run the generator without a connection to the battery, so either replace the cutout or ground the output terminal from the generator so you don't destroy the generator.