Cheap LED 1157 bulbs for turn signals.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Cheap LED 1157 bulbs for turn signals.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Sunday, May 03, 2015 - 03:32 pm:

I know we often wonder where they are and where others get them,here they are cheap.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/White-1157-BA15S-COB-12SMD-LED-Bulbs-RV-Trailer-Truck-In terior-Brake-Light-EC-/221712470277?hash=item339f17d105

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, May 03, 2015 - 10:17 pm:

Thanks for that link, Mack. I just ordered half a dozen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Sunday, May 03, 2015 - 10:26 pm:

it will take a while for them to get there.shipping is slow. It took a month to get my clocks and soil testers from china. we could pay retail but they would be coming from over there anyway. But like this you cut out the middle man.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Monday, May 04, 2015 - 07:56 am:

When you guys get them installed, let us know if they are as bright as the 1157 bulbs. I've bought a few that were pretty dim.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Monday, May 04, 2015 - 08:05 am:

While there are standards for incandescent 1157 bulbs such that regardless of what brand or where you buy them they are pretty much interchangeable, LED replacement bulbs have no standards really and rarely are repeatable often even from the same maker. This is not really a fault of the LED itself but rather that LED is an emerging technology and every couple years the brightness levels have increased markedly so that whatever you get is likely to be different next time. Given their inherent long life that probably isn't a problem but if the maker does not go to pretty great lengths to seal the devices up from moisture and does not carefully design fo correct heat dissipation they can fail long before their advertised life.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Kerndt-Waukon, Iowa on Monday, May 04, 2015 - 08:10 am:

Aren't these all 12 Volt?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, May 04, 2015 - 09:41 am:

Yes and with off set pins.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Monday, May 04, 2015 - 10:29 pm:

Yes, some of us have stepped over to the dark side and use 12 volt battery's in our T's. The offset pins are to make sure you get the right filament for turn and tail.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Tuesday, May 05, 2015 - 12:53 am:

The correct name for the base with the offset pins is "Indexed Base"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve McClelland on Sunday, May 10, 2015 - 11:02 pm:

Junk...junk...junk!!!!
Unless something has changed, the four I bought was crap!
They had half the LEDs go out the first day, and about as bright as a lighting bug. Good luck with yours.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Sunday, May 10, 2015 - 11:04 pm:

I have found the flashlights with leds are bad to have cold solder joints. Same thing with the newer stop light fixtures. There alot of led's in them but some go out because of cold solder joints.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Monday, May 11, 2015 - 12:40 am:

I am very happy with LED's bought from Super Bright LED's. They are more expensive but much better quality and brightness compared to some junk one's I have bought on e-bay.

Take a look at Super Bright LED's before buying your next LED's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Thode Chehalis Washington on Monday, May 11, 2015 - 02:22 am:

If you use LED lights for flashers you may have to also change your flasher unit as well. You can buy LED bulb electronic flasher units (12v). The LED's use less power and the old normal flasher units require a certain load to work.
Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Landry, Hudson, NH on Monday, May 11, 2015 - 05:26 pm:

In general, I've found the LED flashlights with lots of LEDs to be lousy, but the ones with a single high power LED - like from Maglite - to be great. (and a lot more expensive)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Kopsky, Lytle TX on Monday, May 11, 2015 - 07:52 pm:

I find the LED flashlights with 9 LEDs to be GREAT for localize light and they're small enough to not get in the way. Plus, they're FREE! Maglites are TOO expensive, TOO bright and TOO large unless you're poaching. :-)

I guess it all depends on the purpose of the light. Don't you think?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Barker, Somerset, England on Tuesday, May 12, 2015 - 04:55 am:

I tried a flasher unit designed for LEDs.
It worked fine.......until I started the engine. The electronics did not like something, either the RF from the coils or the dirty 6v supply.
Note that it's a '26 Coupe with the coils on the engine. The flasher was just behind the dash at the side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Barker, Somerset, England on Tuesday, May 12, 2015 - 05:02 am:

I am puzzled by the specification of the LED bulb on ebay.
The 1157 bulb should have 2 filaments, one for the running light and one for the turn or stop signal, of about 5W and 21W respectively. (or 3 and 33CP or 38 and 400 Lumens)
The LED bulb has twin connectors, but there's no mention of two brightnesses.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration