Breaker Points vs Electronic Ignition

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Breaker Points vs Electronic Ignition
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brandon Buoniconti on Sunday, May 03, 2015 - 07:41 pm:

Hello all I as you may know my 24 Touring is having spark trouble. I had an electronic ignition
system that was giving me trouble...long story short I switched over to points and condenser. I had some better luck with the points but still not full success, the car started and ran terribly rough seemed like only a few out of the four were firing. As it was running it died on me again and I have not been able to restart it. I pulled the plugs and they have decent spark. I am stumped! Also Fuel is definitely not an issue. The nice weather doesn't help the fact that I can't drive me T!
Thank you in Advance,
Brandon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell on Sunday, May 03, 2015 - 10:12 pm:

Have you checked timing and firing order?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Sunday, May 03, 2015 - 10:17 pm:

Best thing you can do is simply rip out all that modern stuff and go back to the 100% original 6 volt 4 coil system the car came with. Does your magneto still work?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Sunday, May 03, 2015 - 10:20 pm:

The problem is, the new points are garbage that burn out in less than 1k miles. If you can find older points, they last a good while.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les VonNordheim on Sunday, May 03, 2015 - 11:56 pm:

I had problems with burning the points in my Texas T dist with the coil that was provided. Switched to a Bosch coil, added a external resistor and Pertronix module. The internal resistor coil did not provide sufficient resistance for either points or a Pertronix unit per their specifications. That was 10 years ago, and no problems to date. Also, add a ground wire to the dist.
Just got tired of having problems with timers and coils. I am more interested in how the engine performs vice free starts or hearing the coils buzz. Hearing is not what it used to be!
Others may not agree...each to his own.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach & Big Bear on Monday, May 04, 2015 - 01:56 am:

If you are running 12 volts your regulator will spike up to 17 volts and blow out electronic ignition.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brandon Buoniconti on Monday, May 04, 2015 - 06:23 am:

I have checked the order and tried adjusting the timing. I do have a 6 volt system. The points are brand new not a mile on them. I will try ordering a new coil with external resistor to see what happens.
Thank you for the help!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, May 04, 2015 - 06:49 am:

For what it's worth, I was having similar problems on my Model A last year. Short story is, after getting fed up with points, condenser changes, I bought a whole new distributor and that IMMEDIATELY solved the problem!! It now fires up on the second revolution, no matter how cold or hot out it is outside too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Monday, May 04, 2015 - 10:49 am:

Have you tried replacing the condensor on the point set-up?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Monday, May 04, 2015 - 11:48 am:

Do you have ground wire from the head of the distributor to the engine block? I found I was having some kind of erratic ignition issues until I added one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cecil Paoletti -- Rrnton WA on Monday, May 04, 2015 - 10:34 pm:

My '24 runabout acted as you described. The fiber timing gear had failed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Tuesday, May 05, 2015 - 09:33 am:

Assuming this problem developed suddenly: you had electronic ign. and changed to points with basically no difference in eng. performance. You state you have spark at all the plugs. There's a problem you haven't found yet and it doesn't sound like it's ignition. If, when the car quit, you have ignition and fuel something else is NG.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, May 05, 2015 - 12:58 pm:

Brandon,

Do a compression test.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Tuesday, May 05, 2015 - 02:17 pm:

For the engine to run you need:

Compression
Fuel
Spark - at the right time

One of these is not there.

Jerry is right about trying a compression test, however you might check to see if there is sufficient gas in the tank. A Model T has gravity fuel system. If there is less than perhaps two gallons in the under seat tank you won't have a good running car most of the time.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration