Transmission brake question.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Transmission brake question.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Sunday, May 03, 2015 - 10:57 pm:

Could some please explain briefly how the transmission brake works when you are actually stopped? It's just one of those things I was never sure of. When I use my brake pedal, it stops the car very well for a T brake. Obviously the band grabs the brake drum and stops it. At that point, the drum stays stopped right? I'm not going to wear down my band lining at all while I sit at a long traffic light or any other part right ? I don't want to use my parking brake because it doesn't hold that well on a down hill at the present time. Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Sunday, May 03, 2015 - 11:03 pm:

Drum is stopped and your clutch pack is what is working.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By bob middleton on Sunday, May 03, 2015 - 11:31 pm:

Correct but with the trans brake realize you only have one wheel brake coz of the diff

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By JohnH on Monday, May 04, 2015 - 02:06 am:

The band lining only wears when it is in contact with a rotating drum. Thus, with the drum stopped no wear occurs. It's only the actual slowing down process that wears the lining because the drum is rubbing against (and abrading away) the lining material.
So, you can hold the car as long as you like with the foot brake without any band wear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, May 04, 2015 - 04:25 am:

When standing still with a running engine it's only some wear on the thrust surface of the third main and on the clutch release collar since the clutch spring pressure is transferred to the front of the third main when the clutch is in "neutral". In normal use this minor wear isn't a problem - the bronze collar that controls the clutch is almost never worn beyond use, while the babbitt thrust surface on the third main may need renewal after several years of use to keep the distance between flywheel magnets and the coil within tolerances for enough output from the magneto.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Monday, May 04, 2015 - 07:34 am:

Ok, that's great. I was starting to get impatient at downward sloped traffic lights because I always try to put as little wear on my bands as possible because it's not a fun job to change them. I was starting to think I was wrong about how they operated and thought I would ask. It's good to know I can drive it more like a normal car. Thanks for all the help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Monday, May 04, 2015 - 08:04 am:

The drive shaft is essentially connected to the brake drum. One does not turn without the other.

One wheel braking? Come on! The brake stops the drive shaft which, as long as nothing in the differential breaks, stops both wheels. The only exception to this is a scenario I've only read about, where one wheel is actually turning backward while one wheel is turning forward while the drive shaft is not turning. It would take a very slick surface for that to occur. Even then, you don't have one wheel braking. You have no wheel braking. I put this in the same category as a differential having a 'Primary drive wheel'. It just ain't so.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration