What kind of rims are these?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: What kind of rims are these?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Rhoads on Monday, May 04, 2015 - 07:38 am:

I'm working on a Model T that belongs to someone else. It's a depot hack with a homebuilt body. The rest of it is a mix of parts from various years.

Saturday afternoon was devoted to removing the ancient, petrified tires from the demountable rims. The car has steel, solid disc wheels of unknown pedigree, with 21" split rims. The mounting lugs are separate from the rims and there are no specific locations for the lugs (although the valve stem determines the position of the rim relative to the wheel disc).

Anyway, removing the tires revealed terminal rust in two of the rims. One of them virtually crumbled in the locking tab area with the slightest prying effort. The metal had turned to a mealy goo held together with a thick coat of aluminum paint.

My questions:

1. What kind of rims are these? Aftermarket? Che****et?
2. How difficult would it be to find matching replacements?
3. What alternatives might I suggest to the owner? (From what I see, new reproduction rims are available without mounting lugs in the 30 x 3 1/2 size, but the 21" split rims all come with attached lugs.)

Here's a close-up of the latch area on one of the better rims, which I hope will allow someone to tell me what I'm dealing with.

Rim latch

Thanks...

Jeff Rhoads

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, May 04, 2015 - 09:43 am:

You can say the name Chevrolet. :-) What is the name on the rim clamps?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Rhoads on Monday, May 04, 2015 - 12:13 pm:

Mark,

If you're referring to the mounting lugs, I don't recall if they had any kind of identification on them or not. They're still in the possession of the owner, and I haven't seen them in several weeks. As for the latch, there's no visible stamping. Just rust. I was hoping somebody would recognize the latch design.

Thanks...

Jeff

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Monday, May 04, 2015 - 12:30 pm:

Jaxon brand, yes probably Chevrolet but also used by others but not Ford.
You will find that the disc wheels were adapted to the Ford wood wheel hubs.
Ebay or advertising here on MTFCA will be likely sources of replacements.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Rhoads on Tuesday, May 05, 2015 - 07:31 am:

Thanks, Layden. Jaxon sounds familiar, now that you mention the name. Based on what I'm seeing on eBay, it appears that the 21" size isn't as common as other sizes. And thus, the hunt begins...

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration