Wire wheel hub pulled, is there a market

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Wire wheel hub pulled, is there a market
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Monday, May 04, 2015 - 10:34 am:

Reading the thread on pulling rear hubs it appears that pullers of this type are scarce. Is there a market for a high quality exact reproduction? Of course there are cheaper solutions that work well. If you own a good quality "bearing splitter" type puller, that can be used or a "horse shoe" can be made to really make it work well
My best guess is maybe $2-300.00 if 20 or so we're made, and have then made out of cast 4140 steel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Monday, May 04, 2015 - 11:00 am:

Ifn you're talking about wire wheel hubs, this type works well and can be used on other cars as well:

Hub puller

Aprox $125 - $150

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Monday, May 04, 2015 - 11:16 am:

Ken
That type also works well. My question is if people want to own a exact copy of the original Era puller

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, May 04, 2015 - 12:56 pm:

Google Posi Lock Puller

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Monday, May 04, 2015 - 01:02 pm:

Les,

If you study the photo of the original Ford design, it has an "impact" plunger.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Monday, May 04, 2015 - 01:13 pm:

Steve
And what you point out is the big advantage of the original puller design. As is quite common, it will do the job better than the various tools that "sort of do the same thing "!!!
Of course those are cheaper and increase the risk of damage to the T parts
I think the expression is "you pays your money and you takes your chances "

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, May 04, 2015 - 11:10 pm:

My very robust Ford wood wheel hub puller HAD that same point (and plunger set up). It had the point till I ground it down some, kept punching in the centering hole in the axle and I had to keep redrilling the cotter pin hole because it would get pressed in.
Steve your photo gives me a time frame when mine was made because other Ford hub pullers I've seen are much lighter in construction.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Monday, May 04, 2015 - 11:15 pm:

I have two different three-legged pullers. I use them with a thread on knock-off tool, to reduce damage to the axle. I thread the knock-off tool on, then let the puller push against it, instead of directly on the end of the shaft.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Tuesday, May 05, 2015 - 09:39 am:

I install a cotter pin in the axle hole to prevent that from happening, Mark. I've never seen a Ford script wooden wheel puller with the "impact plunger" - can you post a photo ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Tuesday, May 05, 2015 - 10:31 am:

Steve, send me a PM and I will get photos to you tonight, my camera battery is dead.
The cotter pin idea sounds good except I use a turned around axle nut to keep from distorting the end of the axle. The nut would cover the hole. Guess I could use a different nut and run it back just far enough to insert a cotter pin and give it a try.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Wetherbee - Downeast Maine on Tuesday, May 05, 2015 - 12:18 pm:

Mark - the "robust" wood-wheel puller was introduced around 1926 along with the above wire-wheel one. I have that style too and it is hands down superior to the other style of Ford script puller.

I'm thinking that I read this information from either a service bulletin or Bruce McCauley's "Black Bible"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Milton,WA on Tuesday, May 05, 2015 - 12:53 pm:

Learn something new everyday - thanks guys ! Service Bulletin - July, 1926 - wood wheel number 5Z-1170. Never have run across one - will look now - nice tool !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 12:11 am:

I posted some photos of mine here;
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/539281.html?1430880113

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Todd, ............Red Deer, Alberta on Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 10:55 am:

Sorry Les, I misunderstood your posting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 11:32 am:

Ken
No problem, I really didn't need another project. It seems the interest is not out there

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration