OT - A west coast K wrecked.....

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: OT - A west coast K wrecked.....
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Heyen - Eastern Nebraska on Monday, May 04, 2015 - 01:48 pm:

I've found well known stage stars, politicians, and wealthy businessmen who owned Model K. Not surprising, considering a cost in today's dollars of over $70,000.

However, I'm not sure about this owner?

You know your having a bad day when news of your evening out ends up on the front page, top fold, of the "Oakland ( California) Tribune."

August 10, 1907:

Several regional newspapers carried the story, with variations as to who was driving and ownership. The "San Francisco Call" reported the Model K was owned by Miss Dorris Coddington, and driven by William Bailey, a Ford agent:

"The Los Angeles Herald:"

The "San Francisco Chronicle" reported the parties "admit they took a little more refreshments than is conducive to safe motoring." In this version of events, the Ford representative, William Bailey, is demonstrating the car for Miss Coddington, the prospective buyer:

As it turns out, all the parties survived the crash. I could not find any other reference of Bailey working for the Ford dealer in Oakland again following the wreck (no surprise). As for Miss Coddington, an area boarding house resident, I'm not sure what her connections were (wealth, position, etc.) that might allow her to own, or prospectively own an expensive vehicle. However, I have my suspicions:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Clayton Swanson on Monday, May 04, 2015 - 11:12 pm:

i wonder what Dr Phil would make of this! great entertainment Rob, thanks

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration