Odd grease cup?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Odd grease cup?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Monday, May 04, 2015 - 02:16 pm:

I have seen a lot of different grease cups but this is a first to me. The one on the left has a brass wire (spring?) with the two ends penetrating through the threads. I'm guessing these put pressure on groves in the cap to discourage it from turning.

Most T's used the one on the right with the leather seal or the pressed steel ones. Has anyone seen this type before or is it an oddity? It was on a '14 axle housing.

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, May 04, 2015 - 03:59 pm:

I believe that I have several like that. I don't know how common they really are, however.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Ida Fls on Monday, May 04, 2015 - 04:32 pm:

Thanks Wayne. It's good to know there are others. I wonder if Ford ever used them. Might they be early?

Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, May 04, 2015 - 05:58 pm:

Have one too, plus several of the Empress brand, with the spring wire and spike. Ford used these on the Fordson.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, May 04, 2015 - 09:52 pm:

I've seen lots of those with the square spike and spring on assemblies I've taken apart, such as rear ends. If they weren't used on the cars originally, they were a popular replacement.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration