Axle question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Axle question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daryl Miles on Monday, May 04, 2015 - 03:25 pm:

Reassembling the rear assembly. The inner felt washer O.D. is way bigger than the axle tube. Is is normal and/or O.K. to trim to fit?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Monday, May 04, 2015 - 03:36 pm:

It is normal, don't trim, just squish--squish a lot it will go in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daryl Miles on Monday, May 04, 2015 - 03:50 pm:

OK, I'll give it a shot! Thanks for the quick response!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, May 04, 2015 - 04:05 pm:

Don't expect it to be easy. I drove them in with a piece of conduit with a big socket on top.

Getting them past the outer end of the tube was especially tough. They fought me all the way, and it took a lot of pounding to get them in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Monday, May 04, 2015 - 06:07 pm:

A piece of 1/14" XH pipe is perfect for those.

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, May 04, 2015 - 07:11 pm:

Did you mean inch and a quarter?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Monday, May 04, 2015 - 08:05 pm:

I have reverted to a lazy man's way ,I just quit using those seals. I use the modern neoprene ones and so far,no leaks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Monday, May 04, 2015 - 08:07 pm:

I have reverted to a lazy man's way ,I just quit using those seals. I use the modern neoprene ones and so far,no leaks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daryl Miles on Monday, May 04, 2015 - 08:24 pm:

The first piece went in too easily with a pipe and hammer, so I knew something was going to go wrong. The neoprene was the next piece and it got destroyed getting past the rivets in the axle tube. I walked away. I have some new leather ones soaking and I'll try it again tomorrow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Monday, May 04, 2015 - 08:33 pm:

You don't have to put the neoprene seals in past the rivets,just to the edge of bearing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, May 04, 2015 - 08:33 pm:

Daryl, the reason it got destroyed is that it's not supposed to go past the rivets. It's supposed to stop against the end of the tube. The same thing will happen to the leathers if you try to drive them past the end of the tube and the rivets.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, May 04, 2015 - 09:12 pm:

Good earlier post on install of the modern inner seals. Remove the Hyatt sleeve first. Then install the modern seal, replace the sleeve, and re-grease and fit the Hyatt roller. Done. No leaks. Proven in thousands of miles. :-)

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/280351.html?1333786783

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daryl Miles on Tuesday, May 05, 2015 - 07:12 am:

I understand now! I was unclear on the location. Thanks again for the help!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, May 05, 2015 - 08:18 am:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfxWPsF4KhQ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daryl Miles on Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 12:50 am:

Thanks Mark for the link! It was very helpful and I almost finished it tonight. The thrust bearings didn't want to play nice, so I "glued" them and will finish tomorrow. The video made it look semi-simple, but is it easier to to get it all together with the thrust assy intact in the vertical position or horizontal across the bench?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 08:33 am:

I do it on the floor using jack stands. Grease holds the thrust washers in place.

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration