My car, Mister Ed

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: My car, Mister Ed
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, May 04, 2015 - 04:26 pm:

Remember how he only talked to Wilbur? When anybody else was around, he wouldn't say a word.

This afternoon I stopped at the juco to ask the machine shop instructor if he knew of a local source for some hex stock. He and the boys were looking over the roadster and asking all the usual questions about it, and marveling that it will be 100 years old next month. I explained the operation, how "all black" wasn't always true, what kind of oil, and so on. When I had blathered long enough and it was time to leave, I set the spark lever down a little, did the same to the throttle, switched to MAG, and pulled. Usually when it's warmed up and I do that it starts on the first or second pull. Not today. After about a dozen tries without even a cough, I cheated and switched to BAT. Even with that, it took another half dozen pulls to get it going. After that It ran fine all the way home. When I got home and backed the car into the shop and shut it off, I set the spark and throttle down a little bit, switch to MAG, and pulled. It started right up on the first pull. Mister Ed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Monday, May 04, 2015 - 04:28 pm:

All model T are like that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Monday, May 04, 2015 - 04:34 pm:

I thought ours was the only one!!!!!!Bud in Wheeler,Mi.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve in Tennessee on Monday, May 04, 2015 - 05:35 pm:

Mine will free start anytime I am asked to show how to start it with the crank and I end up like that woman in the commercial..

That's not how this works! That's not how any of this works!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Vaughn on Monday, May 04, 2015 - 05:38 pm:

Steve, It can go the other way too. I rarely start my cars on mag though they will do it. I had my sedan at school a couple of years ago and the students wanted to see it hand-cranked. I set everything and turned it to battery....Free start after free start after free start. I had to switch to mag to hand-crank. That car rarely gives a free start but it did that day.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bud Holzschuh - Panama City, FL on Monday, May 04, 2015 - 07:04 pm:

Exact same thing happened to me when I went to visit a friend last Saturday.After commenting that "it usually starts first pull when its warm" - it didn't.
I think of it as Model T bashfullness"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, May 04, 2015 - 07:07 pm:

I think it's Henry's ornery spirit playing games with our cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood -Long Beach, California on Monday, May 04, 2015 - 07:12 pm:

I was at a show and had crank started my car several times throughout the day. Always started right up. Later I was asked to do it again, and it would not start no matter how many times I pulled it. Someone asked "What's that buzzing noise?" So I explained about the coils and then pulled it very slowly until it quit buzzing and then the next coil started to buzz with a slightly different tune. I went on to explain that each one sounds a little different and pulled a little more until that one quit buzzing. I pulled a little further for the next one, and off it went! I was only turning it ever so slowly to make the coils buzz.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, May 04, 2015 - 07:32 pm:

I agree. It is Henry's ornery spirit. Every model T I have ever had has been inconsistent that way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Eliason, Whittier, CA on Monday, May 04, 2015 - 11:07 pm:

Another Murphy's Law;

The number of pulls needed to hand start a Model T is directly proportional to the number of spectators.

Best regards. BE

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Tuesday, May 05, 2015 - 01:53 am:

Jeepers .... isn't that true ! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Huson, Berthoud, Co. on Tuesday, May 05, 2015 - 02:02 am:

Brian: I really had to laugh at that, how true.
I do weddings with a lot of people watching me haul the bride and groom away. So far my Ts always have started fairly easy, but some day????

wedding

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Tuesday, May 05, 2015 - 08:15 am:

Steve; Your "T" was just enjoying the extra attention and was reluctant to leave, after all it had everybody's UN-divided attention:-)

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration