Muffler year?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2015: Muffler year?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Myers_____Pittsburgh, PA on Monday, May 04, 2015 - 07:54 pm:

Found these hanging in dad's basement, and cannot figure out what year they are. Any ideas?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Monday, May 04, 2015 - 08:00 pm:

1914 up to about 1917.charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Monday, May 04, 2015 - 08:02 pm:

Look like the ones on my '12 , '13 and '14. I think it is correct for '11 through '14

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Monday, May 04, 2015 - 08:08 pm:

Early ones had bolt on mounts, 14/17 sounds about right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Monday, May 04, 2015 - 08:22 pm:

Are they for sale?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, May 04, 2015 - 08:28 pm:

1914-16.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, May 04, 2015 - 08:40 pm:

The three "long bolt" muffler with tailpipe was used through at least the end of the 1917 model year based on cars with known histories since new including:

- my unrestored May 1917 runabout
- Rip Van Winkle June 1917 touring
- my dad's July 1917 touring (last month of the model year) purchased in very good, original, unrestored condition from the original family in 1949

If Royce sees this thread, he can probably say the same for his '17 runabout which was a very low mileage and pristine unrestored car when his dad bought around 1951.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Monday, May 04, 2015 - 10:06 pm:

dale mark frymiller has a set on e-bay 55.00 buy it now.charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, May 04, 2015 - 10:06 pm:

OK, I'll bow to Erik's superior experience on this one and stand corrected. And in that case, the online Encyclopedia could use some correction as well. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Royce in Georgetown TX on Tuesday, May 05, 2015 - 06:19 am:

Looks like the one on my '17.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, May 05, 2015 - 10:08 am:

I just checked the MTFCI Judging Guidelines, and it says the one-bolt muffler was introduced in May of 1917, which was late in the model year. It probably took a while to implement the change, using up all the earlier style stock, so some time near the change to '18 models sounds about right.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Myers_____Pittsburgh, PA on Tuesday, May 05, 2015 - 06:55 pm:

Thank you all for your help - it's appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Sanford - Lucas, TX on Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 11:26 am:

I have a couple of questions about these mufflers -

Do these use 1/4" x 20 threaded rod to hold them together?

What is the orientation of the 2 inner cylinders since they have vent holes? Do both holes go toward the front or the rear? Or does one go toward the front and the other toward the rear?

Since my muffler ends are a little rust pitted, what type sealer should I use?

Thanks for the help. Hope this is not too far from the original question.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith on Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 11:48 am:

The ones on my '13s are 5/16 and I think they are 13 5/16 long.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 12:14 pm:

Those rods were not all-thread,but that would work.No sealer needed,I put the inner holes to back and the middle sleeve holes at front.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, May 06, 2015 - 01:01 pm:

The rods are actually bolts with thread on the end. Like Jack Daron says, you can use all thread and two nuts.

I don't know if the bolts for the single bolt muffler are long enough for the three bolt muffler. If they are, you can just buy three from Langs - but I would ask them to provide the measurements before ordering:

https://www.modeltford.com/item/4026B.aspx

Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.
Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration